• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Leatham said something at Shot Show about not being able to handle a 3#+ trigger very well (I'm sure that's relative) because of all his years shooting lighter triggers.

I would be interesting to find out what the top 20 shooters prefer on a trigger.

I'll bet there will be a strong correlation between their answers and the way they control the trigger. Trigger slappers like Leatham will, in my prediction, want lighter with minimal pretravel. Feeling the reset is not an issue since their finger is not in contact with the trigger when it resets.

People who ride the trigger will want a heavier pull so they they can feel the reset.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'll bet there will be a strong correlation between their answers and the way they control the trigger. Trigger slappers like Leatham will, in my prediction, want lighter with minimal pretravel. Feeling the reset is not an issue since their finger is not in contact with the trigger when it resets.

People who ride the trigger will want a heavier pull so they they can feel the reset.

I'm a trigger slapper. I like long pretravel so that I'm in contact w/ the trigger before I hit the sear wall. Also, with a long pretravel I can bring my finger way forward of the reset point and I'm less likely to lose contact w/ the trigger between shots.

Reset feel means nothing to me; I don't consider it part of trigger control, it's just something that happens betweeen shots... it in no way affects where the bullet goes. all that matters to me is the trigger is reset before I'm ready to break the next shot.

There have been studies done w/ fancy scientific widgets and electronics that show that even people that think they ride the reset when shooting fast really dont, they end up fully reseting (or, they wonder why they can't shoot fast).

Embrase the slap. ignore the reset. break the shot w/o disturbing the sights.

all my :twocents:. It's different for everybody which is good for the builders and parts vendors and gun plumbers.

-rvb

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Leatham said something at Shot Show about not being able to handle a 3#+ trigger very well

Says the current Revolver national champion:dunno:

His Revolver runs 5.5 to 6 IIRC and he handles it pretty good I would say.

I know he was talking autos and was stating what he preferred. But I would bet he can "handle" heavier triggers just fine.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I personally don't ride the trigger. As soon as the shot breaks, I only focus on settling the front sight, and breaking the next shot. I hear people talk about having an audible reset. Now, if I was shooting for pure accuracy, then yes, I would focus on the reset. Everyone is different, it's a matter of learning your trigger in my opinion.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm a trigger slapper. I like long pretravel so that I'm in contact w/ the trigger before I hit the sear wall. Also, with a long pretravel I can bring my finger way forward of the reset point and I'm less likely to lose contact w/ the trigger between shots.

Reset feel means nothing to me; I don't consider it part of trigger control, it's just something that happens betweeen shots... it in no way affects where the bullet goes. all that matters to me is the trigger is reset before I'm ready to break the next shot.

There have been studies done w/ fancy scientific widgets and electronics that show that even people that think they ride the reset when shooting fast really dont, they end up fully reseting (or, they wonder why they can't shoot fast).

Embrase the slap. ignore the reset. break the shot w/o disturbing the sights.

all my :twocents:. It's different for everybody which is good for the builders and parts vendors and gun plumbers.

-rvb

Yeah, I try to shoot a Glock like that and bad things happen. I have to be overtly focused on my trigger press with a Glock, making sure I press through the pre-travel and then gently keep pressing. With my trusty 1911s, I'm doing exactly what you mention above. I either remove the overtravel screw or back it out so that it never touches.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Yeah, I try to shoot a Glock like that and bad things happen. I have to be overtly focused on my trigger press with a Glock, making sure I press through the pre-travel and then gently keep pressing. With my trusty 1911s, I'm doing exactly what you mention above. I either remove the overtravel screw or back it out so that it never touches.

Yea, as we said in some other thread.... Glocks suck. Take everything you could hate about a trigger and call it 'perfection'

i once discovered what happens when your trigger bow is too long and you remove any over travel stops.... I got some really fast splits...

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yea, as we said in some other thread.... Glocks suck. Take everything you could hate about a trigger and call it 'perfection'

i once discovered what happens when your trigger bow is too long and you remove any over travel stops.... I got some really fast splits...

-rvb

In fact, I had just such an experience on the first stage of an IDPA match years ago. Press the trigger = bullet hose; release = no bullet hose. I even hit the targets.

It was cool, but I took it apart right away when I got home. Used a different gun for the rest of the match.

Top Bottom