• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Go up to Parabellum with her and rent a stall for an hour and rent their .380's. You have to buy a box of their ammo but you can exchange the guns and try all that they have which is several. (you could do the same with the other calibers as well if 380 doesn't suit you or her of course)
    You are in Bedrock. I'm up in B-town. My easiest racking is a Taurus TCP. If you'd like and we can work it out, she could try mine. (PB has this one as well)

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    wife shoots a g17 at the range as her favorite, but can't work the slide with reliability (strength issue) - I got her a sig p238 with the extended mag. works great for her.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Mrs. VERT has arthritis in her hands and wrists. In December she dislocated three fingers so violently that the joints sliced through the skin and her bones were sticking out. I would classify that as weak hand strength. She can still shoot her full size semi auto pistol.

Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    The Walther CCP is an option. I had one for about a month until I traded for a PPQ. The CCP was easier to rack the slide, and it also points really well. It is compact, but it has a full grip (not so much for large hands). I've contemplated buying another for my wife.

embmtxatl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2015
    Hendricks County
    Best thing to do is take here to a range that rents pistols and have her try several models, I would recommend a Walther PPS 9mm, very accurate, 8 round capacity, or a Colt Mustang in 380. Both very easy to carry and with the right ammo quite effective for self defense.
    View attachment 38285 View attachment 38286 [/QUOTE

How much do the ranges usually charge to rent?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Best thing to do is take here to a range that rents pistols and have her try several models, I would recommend a Walther PPS 9mm, very accurate, 8 round capacity, or a Colt Mustang in 380. Both very easy to carry and with the right ammo quite effective for self defense.
    View attachment 38285 View attachment 38286 [/QUOTE

How much do the ranges usually charge to rent?

Parabellum is $10 for the gun, range rental, box of ammo.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Ruger LCRX with 3 inch barrel and adjustable rear sights. We have one on the rental wall at Parabellum.

crazycatlady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Allen county
    I applaud her willingness to consider carrying after all these years, but she really does need to be in charge of her journey with your help and guidance. You cannot choose for her.

I have owned a J frame for years and just bought my first semi-auto after a lot of research and holding various models at gunshows. The only thing I have had difficulty doing is locking the slide back on the 9mm Shield but just have to move my right hand around a bit because my thumb is too short to reach. I also have some arthritis in both thumbs. (was quite comfortable for me when I took it to the range for the first time yesterday.) I rack the slide with my weak hand over the top but not so far forward that I am sweeping my forearm. I also turn my body to the right so that it is still pointed in a safe direction. You Tube has been a real help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbayNc6D9HY is one example. This woman has a number of very helpful videos.

The biggest advantage to a revolver as you know is reliability. This same woman has an excellent video about a modified draw from a bra holster for example. In that scenario, a revolver is probably best. Of course, fewer rounds, and my J-frame is ouchy to fire. I wear a bicycle glove when I shoot a number of rounds at the range. I have heard that the Ruger LCR MIGHT be a bit better.

The Well Armed Woman also has a chapter in southern Indiana. I would bet they would be very helpful to your wife. TWAW Southern IN chapter. Would be a bit of a drive for meetings.

I took the NRA Basic Pistol course and would recommend that she do that ASAP. You can search in your area on the NRA website.

Good luck to her!

brogers261990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Flora
    My wife has an EAA Vindicator in .357/.38 spl. (6 rounds). The extra heft of the larger cylinder and steel revolver helps dampen that recoil and keep on target. She said she's interested in a Smith and Wesson Shield to give her something more readily concealable with larger carrying capacity and faster reloading.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Racking the slide overhand is a valid method but you do point out some legitimate concerns. As for pointing to your left, teach her to turn to her right to keep the barrel pointed in the right direction. My wife has the same issue, she can't rack the slide pointing a gun forward short of being the last resort to save her life.

Not a fantastic gun but a decent one to look at is the Chiappa (Girsan) MC14 sold at rural king. blowback .380, 13 rounds, basically a knockoff of a beretta 84fs (enough so the mags interchange) but softer springs, "normal" full covered slide, it's a little choosy about ammo (shorter cartridges tend to jam while feeding), but costs 1/2 as much. My wife almost likes shooting with it lol. Fits her small hands perfectly. she really didn't like the 84FS (too stiff of a spring, not enough purchase on the slide, and it bit her hand racking the slide riding the heel of her hand on the barrel/slide).

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Ruger SR9 is a great choice because it has a small grip and has enough weight to tame recoil for a new shooter. I recently introduced my daughter who is 13 to 9mm handguns. I have an LC9 that she does not care for because of the recoil and the slide is very stiff on most small autos. She was most comfortable with the Ruger SR9 and could actually operate the slide and release just fine.

Another option would be a Smith 686 2" or 4". Has enough weight for the 357 Mag rounds and gives her the option of practicing with 38 special until she is more comfortable with the gun to move to 357 rounds.

Kevinslaterjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2018
    South bend
    Have any women chimed in on this thread? I would be really curious to hear what they have to say as the shooter.

I am in the same position about the consideration of a gun for my wife. My job now requires me to travel more frequently leaving her and my 8 year old alone at home.
    she claims my 9mm is too big for her hands and im not sure she could handle the 12 gauge. [Disclaimer: shes 5'3" and 110 soaking wet....BUT in the heat of the moment, i imagine she would do fine with both with all her adrenaline moving]

Anyhow, kind of looking for recommendations from some women on this? BTW, i totally agree it should be HER choice and i am only there to assist when needed

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Necro thread. Always fun to read what was posted 3 years ago. Yes there were ladies in this thread.

5’3” 110 pounds. She can operate any gun that she 1) sets her mind to run and 2) is properly fit/sized. Read the thread, size has its trade offs.

She is very capable of running a properly setup shotgun. Youth sized stocks and 18”-20” barrels are a must.

Handguns. Lot of good choices out there. Stay with a popular and common brand! Ruger, Glock, S&W, Walther, Sig. Pick a popular model and learn to shoot it.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Have any women chimed in on this thread? I would be really curious to hear what they have to say as the shooter.

I am in the same position about the consideration of a gun for my wife. My job now requires me to travel more frequently leaving her and my 8 year old alone at home.
    she claims my 9mm is too big for her hands and im not sure she could handle the 12 gauge. [Disclaimer: shes 5'3" and 110 soaking wet....BUT in the heat of the moment, i imagine she would do fine with both with all her adrenaline moving]

Anyhow, kind of looking for recommendations from some women on this? BTW, i totally agree it should be HER choice and i am only there to assist when needed

Necro thread. Always fun to read what was posted 3 years ago. Yes there were ladies in this thread.

5’3” 110 pounds. She can operate any gun that she 1) sets her mind to run and 2) is properly fit/sized. Read the thread, size has its trade offs.

She is very capable of running a properly setup shotgun. Youth sized stocks and 18”-20” barrels are a must.

Handguns. Lot of good choices out there. Stay with a popular and common brand! Ruger, Glock, S&W, Walther, Sig. Pick a popular model and learn to shoot it.

VERT is spot on... We both have experience working with new shooters of all varieties.
    Also, consider reaching out to "cedartop" on this forum. He does some work around your area, if memory serves me right.

Top Bottom