Ideas on a Long Range 2012 Legal Indiana Rifle Round?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    To answer your question: A 358WSM 1.8" (BFG or otherwise), shooting a suitable bullet that will open up properly at the distance you'll be hunting, is certainly the flattest-shooting, longest-range option available.

Well, kinda. You are forgetting anything over .243" can be shot from a handgun. Now, I would think that a .243" bullet, from a 15 15/16" barrel, loaded to the maximum allowable by SAAMI standards would be much flatter shooting than our big "punkin" balls.

You just have to shoot it from a handgun and not a rifle is all! ;)

Just to be perfectly clear.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks for the ideas, however, has to be rifle and the comment on SD was in part to indicate did not wish to shoot 150 grain 50 cal bullets (or what ever a really short one is ;-) and in part since working with a friend who does not like short bullets ....

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

IOW if it's >26" it's no longer a handgun, otherwise you're GTG. IANAL.

Wonder if that would be covered under part (1). I guess the Prosecutor could argue that it's too front heavy to fire with one hand. Safer to have the barrel shortened to make the OAL < 26".

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kludge
    IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

IOW if it's >26" it's no longer a handgun, otherwise you're GTG. IANAL.

Wonder if that would be covered under part (1). I guess the Prosecutor could argue that it's too front heavy to fire with one hand. Safer to have the barrel shortened to make the OAL < 26".

Well, part (1) doesn't say anything about firing accurately with one hand, just that it can be aimed and fired. That can be done with any of the Contender or Encore setups, although hitting anything with them is another story. :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Well, I've seen dumber things... like the IN supreme court ruling that says a 12GA pistol grip shotgun is legally a handgun, because it's designed to be shot with one hand.

I'd like to take a range trip with those justices and video tape it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I still remember the day when I thought I could shoot a 10" Contender barrel in 30 Herrett with one hand. It shot just fine...didn't hit anywhere near what I was aiming at, but it went "BANG!" :)

For a long-range 2012 Legal Indiana Rifle -- you'd be hard-pressed to do better than one of the 35WSM 1.8" wildcats. If less is more, for your particular needs, there are ways to get there with less expense, less recoil and less effective range. Greater range is like horsepower...both have their "cost". The question you have to ask yourself is, how fast do you want to go? ;)

Top Bottom