• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Everyone has them. Things that you do everyday that make you feel like only you do and you are sure it's the right way to do it. One of these things that I do that would fall under that category is this. Because I do not carry my full size pistol while I am working, I lock it in a pistol safe in my vehicle. I have this idea that if my vehicle were to start on fire,with said locked and loaded pistol in it, that the potential is there to discharge that loaded round. My solution is to always point the side of my safe that has muzzle pointed at it toward the floor of my vehicle. Some people will say that simply unloading the firearm will be the better solution. And of that they will be certain. I have noticed bullet set back with the HST round when loading and unloading. This led to my solution. As of now, I like my solution. There will be offers of a better one, no doubt. But what may be more interesting is...... what are your firearm related idiosyncrasies?

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...But what may be more interesting is...... what are your firearm related idiosyncrasies?

I still like to argue with people who say that all guns are always loaded.

Most would tire of it, but I never do. :cool:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I carry a 1911 cocked & locked, but when I take my daily walk wearing a fanny pack I carry it in Condition 2 (for the uninitiated this is hammer down with a round chambered). I know the hazard is almost non-existent but the idea of the gun being pointed horizontally while the hammer is cocked over a live round gives me the willies. I've never owned a horizontal shoulder rig for the same reason.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    After I press check my pistol I tap the back of the slide.

If I am carrying one around, I often push my thumb up under the safety on AR-15/M4's to make sure it is still on safe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Depends where your safe is located.
    If in the trunk. The gas tank is normally mounted under the trunk.
    Any other place, that sounds like a good idea.

ars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    Zionsville
    When I empty my magazine after shooting, I always drop the magazine out of my gun and visually check the gun is empty, even when the slide is in the locked open position.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    When I empty my magazine after shooting, I always drop the magazine out of my gun and visually check the gun is empty, even when the slide is in the locked open position.

that's just proper gun handling; I wouldn't call that an idiosyncrasy... not confirming empty is how so many rounds get fired when people "thought" the mag had been removed.

-rvb

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Next to my seat. Through the floor pan and into the ground. That's the theory anyway.

OK but have you ever checked where it is and what's under the floor sheet metal? Depending on the car and location it might be "nothing" or might not. things like exhaust and parking brake cables are less catastrophic but there might be some important bits under there too like fuel lines, brake lines, driveshaft, transmission, etc.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    It took me a long time to get over my fear of carrying a 1911 in condition one; but, that could be healthy respect OR idiosyncrasy.

Next up, my fear of carrying striker fired handguns. To be continued...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    OK but have you ever checked where it is and what's under the floor sheet metal? Depending on the car and location it might be "nothing" or might not. things like exhaust and parking brake cables are less catastrophic but there might be some important bits under there too like fuel lines, brake lines, driveshaft, transmission, etc.

Unless it's fleshy or irreplaceable, I consider most objects to be something I'm "willing to destroy," and am therefore willing to cover them with my muzzle, especially if they make good backstops that could prevent an errant round from hitting something fleshy or irreplaceable (IOW, I'd rather point the gun at the ground through my car than up in the air where a mistake could result in injury or death far from my location... a car can be fixed).

-rvb

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think by the time your vehicle has immolated to the point of a weapon in a safe discharging there were a lot of other hurdles to clear; as Spock would say nothing is impossible but the probabilities vary. Point it where it makes you happiest I say.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    It is right above an open spot next to the trans.

Top Bottom