Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Depends on how bad they are. If bad enough they may be worse than no training.
    I agree. Bad enough might be hard to judge. Bad training that introduces poor habits that the client builds into their practice or routine would be trouble. Changing bad habits is much more difficult than building the right ones from the start. This is what I am hesitant to buy into the concept that an instructor that is a poor shooter is still a viable option.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I agree. Bad enough might be hard to judge. Bad training that introduces poor habits that the client builds into their practice or routine would be trouble. Changing bad habits is much more difficult than building the right ones from the start. This is what I am hesitant to buy into the concept that an instructor that is a poor shooter is still a viable option.

Or worse, poor legal, tactical, or use of force advice that gets the client injured or convicted of a crime.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Depends on how bad they are. If bad enough they may be worse than no training.

I saw one of the instafamous instructors the other day talk about how you should do some of your shooting without eye and ear protection to prepare for the real thing. To be fair he had a silencer (suppressor) on his rifle, though not hearing safe it definitely would be better than not having it. Now I am sure there are some old timers around here that shoot that way, but to put that out as general advice to the public is highly irresponsible IMHO.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    How can bad trainers be better than nothing. Please explain.

Bad is relative, right?

To explain, there are a ton of "safety instructor" type people up North here. That is all they teach.

They shoot slow, aren't overly accurate, and don't understand contextually why the drawstroke matters.

That being said, they are creating people safer than what walked into their doors. Doors that I don't have access to. Gun owners that I don't have access to.

They have actual contacts (people engagements) that I don't. As long as they are teaching people to be safe, I don't care what they are teaching.

The other thing to consider is so many people are pushed away from the big schools because it is intimidating. These little guys get people I would have never gotten. Very seldom do I get a one and done. They on the other hand do, which is ok. At least those people got SOMETHING. Is it the best? No. Though, am I the best? Nope. Anyone else here? Nope. We are all degrees of good and bad, there is no good or bad, some just aren't as good as others. If people have to hold out for the "best" they wouldn't train much.

Well, that turned into a ramble.

Thoughts?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Bad is relative, right?

To explain, there are a ton of "safety instructor" type people up North here. That is all they teach.

They shoot slow, aren't overly accurate, and don't understand contextually why the drawstroke matters.

That being said, they are creating people safer than what walked into their doors. Doors that I don't have access to. Gun owners that I don't have access to.

They have actual contacts (people engagements) that I don't. As long as they are teaching people to be safe, I don't care what they are teaching.

The other thing to consider is so many people are pushed away from the big schools because it is intimidating. These little guys get people I would have never gotten. Very seldom do I get a one and done. They on the other hand do, which is ok. At least those people got SOMETHING. Is it the best? No. Though, am I the best? Nope. Anyone else here? Nope. We are all degrees of good and bad, there is no good or bad, some just aren't as good as others. If people have to hold out for the "best" they wouldn't train much.

Thoughts?
    Generally, I agree with you except, as stated upthread, if instructors don't know their limitations and "stay in their lane", they can end up being a negative number--giving bad info and helping create bad/unsafe habits--instead of a positive number on that scale of good and bad. Say, being less than 0 on a scale of 1-5

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Bad is relative, right?

Thoughts?

I appreciate the explanation.
    If you are not good you are bad. The different degrees of good and bad is to gray for me. If someone is not accurate and does not understand the importance of draw stroke in carrying then they should refrain. People carrying guns or defending their homes who are not accurate are not helping the situation.

People don't train or practice much anyway. They don't need to hold out for the best but they should be seeking quality or good instructors, but that is a difficult proposition in a market place flooded with "instructors." Wasting people's time and money is a bad thing and there is a lot of that going on. I think most of the waste happens from people who are instructors that cannot shoot very well and yet feel they still have something to offer.

Shooting is the core element. If the instructor cannot do that what is the point?

jkoontzie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    Mishawaka

Good Morning INGO, great topic and as a new gun owner I am currently looking for a good first pistol class up north (South Bend/Mishawaka) and looking for recommendations, any organizations or individuals you would point me to? TIA :)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Good Morning INGO, great topic and as a new gun owner I am currently looking for a good first pistol class up north (South Bend/Mishawaka) and looking for recommendations, any organizations or individuals you would point me to? TIA :)

Have you checked out Kodiak range on the South side of South Bend?

For the next level I would see Frank Sharpe from Fotress defense. It looks like they have a class coming up in Sturgis, MI. Training Calendar ? Fortess Defense Consultants

jkoontzie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    Mishawaka
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have been to Kodiak once, what can I say I don’t lime dark noisy indoor ranges lol. But I didn’t investigate their class offerings. The other sounds really interesting, and hanks for both suggestions I will look into them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    The best coaches are rarely the best athletes.

Life is all about mentorship........and it generally happens in stages. If the student does not eventually pass up the teacher, then evolution in excellence is halted.

Top Bottom