• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hello, all
    The North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton has rescheduled our November IDPA match for this Saturday the 29th, at our winter start time of 10am Central. The weather forecast appears to be more-or-less reasonable.
    We are planning six stages totalling about 100 rounds. Given the forecast 38-degree high, we suspect concealment will be welcome.
    Our website, which includes weather cancellation info for our club as well as the others in the area, is at North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana.
    If the weather does threaten, we have an alternate match plan of four stages with more limited movement in the can.
    If we don't cancel on the website by Friday at 6pm CST, we will expect to open the gates Saturday morning for setup at 8 and registration at 9:30 or so.
    Our regular December IDPA date of the third Sunday, the 21st, is still planned weather permitting, as is our regular steel challenge on the 20th, and trap sessions at noon on all first Sundays.
    Thanks
    Bill

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    can someone participate if they aren't a member of the club? I have been wanting to attend one of these matches...

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Absolutely.
    At our club, as most others hosting these kinds of matches, we're open to the general public, even just for seeing what's going on.
    We welcome new participants. New-to-action competition shooters will best be served by letting us know when you get there that you're unfamiliar with things so we can give you a quick run-through.
    Before you arrive, though, you might need to know that the club, also like almost every other, is a "cold range" during match days.
    That means that there is no handling of firearms, nor any loaded firearms, on the property with two very specific exceptions:
    At the designated "Safe Area", which is a yellow table on the south side of the parking area against the rifle bay berm, and;
    On the firing line, at the specific order of the Safety or Range Officer ("Make ready!").
    If you're carrying when you get there, please unload at the edge of the safe area and stow the ammuntion; otherwise, no ammunition is permitted in the Safe Area.
    That's just routine stuff for any club, and I only mention it in case you haven't been exposed to it before.
    Otherwise, just head on down the driveway. It's on Calumet Avenue, about a quarter-mile south of the junction of SR49 and Calumet Avenue, on the east side. Yellow gate, white sign.
    Calumet Avenue is the old SR49 road between Chesterton and Valparaiso.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Is anyone else intrested in going to this on the 21st? I'm a newb and I'd like to have another newb to ask stupid questions with me:)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I will try to attend the Steel match on saturday. The guy who runs the steel matches is a great guy, and while I've never shot steel there, he assures me they put on a good match. They have an shipping container to store their steel targets, so thats a good sign.

Bring plenty of ammo and magazines. If you are lacking magazines, let us know what gun you are shooting, you may be able to borrow what you need.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I will try to attend the Steel match on saturday. The guy who runs the steel matches is a great guy, and while I've never shot steel there, he assures me they put on a good match. They have an shipping container to store their steel targets, so thats a good sign.

Bring plenty of ammo and magazines. If you are lacking magazines, let us know what gun you are shooting, you may be able to borrow what you need.

I would like to go.... want to car pool? I live near 37 and smithvalley rd.

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Oops!
    I'm sorry, fellas, but we rescheduled that steel match from this coming Saturday to last Saturday. I regret that you missed it.
    We knew the weather was going downhill, and last Saturday's forecast was decent. Not only that, but the Christmas week thing was a problem for quite a few folks.
    I'll ask you to keep an eye on the top right corner of the North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana webpage for the latest in cancellations and reschedules. This time of year is pretty difficult. We need good footing for most matches, and temps that most folks can live with, so we wind up changing things around from time to time.
    I apologize if that messed things up for you.
    I also suspect that the IDPA match for this coming Sunday, the 21st, will be called off altogether, based on the forecast of frigid temperatures. We'll most likely make the decision by Thursday night, although some of those decisions get made pretty last minute, too.
    I can't reply to personal messages yet, so I'll just add you'll get your answers if you poke around the site some more and look at:
    Match FAQ
    and:
    Introduction to Competition
    Hope it works out for both of you to get on down and see or shoot some matches when winter eases up a bit.
    And I resemble that remark about the guy running the steel matches!

JeremyVG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    For those who are interested in action pistol competition, here is a primer I wrote on another board. As an IDPA Safety Officer Instructor, I'm more than happy to help answer questions that any interested people may have.

This Primer will focus on IDPA, as it's the game with which I'm most familiar. SOME of what's posted here will translate to USPSA, mostly in their Production division. Wulf50guy came up with the questions, trying to ask what would be important for a new shooter to know, and I've answered them to the best of my ability. While my username is in the Starter box, it was fully Wulfy's idea and he deserves that credit before we go any farther.

What do i need?
    >>Compared to some games, not much. You'll see what I mean below. More important than ANY piece of gear is a good attitude, an open mind, a willingness to do new things and a want to better yourself.

What type of handgun?
    >>The best gun is the gun you carry every day. If that's not suitable, a larger version of the gun you carry every day. If that's not suitable, get a different everyday carry gun. Most people's EDC's put them into Stock Service Pistol or Production (Glock, Sig, Beretta). XD's find themselves in Enhanced Service Pistol. .45ACP 1911's have their own class (Custom Defensive Pistol), as do double action revolvers (Stock Service or Enhanced Service Revolver). Personally, I compete with a clone of the gun I carry (Glock 19). You MAY be at a competitive disadvantage using your EDC, but as a beginner trying to break into the sport inexpensively, that's okay.

Caliber?
    >>.38 Special or 9mm and larger. I always suggest 9mm's to new shooters. They're available in a wide variety of platforms and configurations to fit almost every budget. Be aware that MOST factory-loaded .38 Special ammunition does NOT make minimum Power Factor and is illegal for competition. This is extremely important once you get beyond the club-level match. Is your .40, .357 or .45 okay? You bet, but in Stock or Enhanced Service Pistol, there is no competitive advantage to the larger caliber.

Type of ammo?
    >>FMJ from a reputable company. I like Winchester, Federal or CCI. Wolf is also popular with those who do not reload. No tracer or armor piercing allowed, per IDPA rules.

Necessary holsters? Belts?
    >>You need a strong side belt holster. That's it. A good belt is VERY helpful. Magazines/speed loaders can be loaded from your pockets. You won't win and speed contests that way, but it's legal and keeps the cost down. That said, belt-mounted magazine carriers are STRONGLY encouraged. You are allowed two magazines on your belt and a third in the gun, so a double mag carrier works just fine. I'm going to interject an opinion as a Match Director here. Floppy, soft, nylon holsters; especially inside the waistband holsters, should not be allowed. They are dangerous. If you are carrying a gun on the street in one of these, you are insane. I do not allow them at my matches.

How many Mags should I have?
    >>At MINIMUM, three. Four to six is best. Number them, mark them, or identify them in some way so you know they're yours. You will likely NOT be the only one shooting a gun like yours at a match.

Things I can do prior to attending? (personal training, range exercises )
    >>Review your gun safety rules. Review them again. Have a knowledge of how your gun works (what're those levers for?). Attend a match as a spectator/guest. Take a buddy if you can, but don't be afraid to go solo. Check with the club you plan on shooting at to see if they have a "new shooter" class. If so, take it, even if they do not mandate the class. Review your gun safety rules again. Read the IDPA rulebook. Read it again, it can be confusing at times. Now, go review your gun safety rules again, you'll need them.

Costs involved?
    >>As much or as little as you want to spend, depending upon the game. IDPA is CHEAP when compared to cowboy action shooting, USPSA Open, or bullseye. A $20 Fobus (ack, barf) holster and a used Glock 9mm will get you in the game. Remember to have extra money for a few mags and a holster. Clubs themselves set match fees. Every club I've ever shot charges $10. As a side note, some clubs allow women and Dependant minors to shoot for a reduced fee (or free). Take two hundred rounds of ammunition (or three) to every match. You will likely not shoot that much, but if you need to reshoot a stage, you don't want to run short. It's better to have a little extra than not enough.

Where can I find a place to participate?
    >>Check with your local gunshops, ranges, clubs and look on the web on the various game's websites. Regional sections of your favorite bulletin boards would be another place to find matches.

What should I expect?
    >>Rather than answer this in a sentence, I've made a do/don't list.

Do's:
    -Expect to be baby-sat and coddled over your first couple matches.
    -Expect to be reminded of the safety rules at least twice (you DID read them before you went, right?).
    -Expect to be humbled.
    -Expect to walk away with the realization that you're NOT the fantastic pistol shooter you thought you were when you got to the range that day.
    -Expect your brain to turn to jelly the first time the timer buzzes behind you.
    -Expect to get some good advice (and likely some bad).
    -Expect to have procedurals on every stage you shoot....but expect to have someone explain them to you and how NOT to get them next time.
    -Also, expect to go home if you screw up and violate a safety rule.
    -Expect to make new friends and possibly reacquaint yourself with some old ones.
    -Expect to work the entire day. Help paste targets and pick up brass. Those are the two best things you can do to help your squad move smoothly. This will also make you popular with your Safety Officer.

Do Not's:
    -Do not tolerate being degraded for being a new shooter.
    -Do not tolerate being yelled at unless you do something unsafe.
    -Do not expect to be a Master by the end of the day.
    -Do not be afraid to ask for help or clarifications on rules or stages.
    -Do NOT be discouraged if things don't go perfectly for you at your first match, or your second, or even your third.
    -Do not let the Insufferable Prick (every range has one) keep you from having a good time.

What If I feel intimidated?
    >>Relax and take a deep breath. EVERYONE had to be the new guy at some point. It takes a measure of courage to begin a new something. You are going to feel somewhat intimidated. That's normal. Now, see, you're already over it. GO HAVE FUN!!

What kinds of people can I expect to meet?
    >>People from all walks of life. Some are great, others are raging pricks (remember, every range has one). Ignore the jerks and make friends with the good people. 99% of the people at any given match will bend over backward to help you. One tip is to identify yourself to the Match Director as soon as you get to the range. Find him and do whatever he tells you to do. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. Be open and friendly toward others, and they will be open and friendly toward you.

I hope this will be of some help to new shooters.

Jeremy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    "-Do not let the Insufferable Prick (every range has one) keep you from having a good time."

Very funny. So does that mean that Kempf is shooting with you guys?

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't know... I must be running short of IPs, because I rarely run up against any, and I officiate and match-direct plenty.
    Usually, I have depend on my friends to heap abuse on me because of the shortage of those IPs.
    That's one of my two shooting-sports mottoes: "Shoot with your friends."
    The other is "Don't shoot the no-shoots, dang it!"
    More seriously, my wife, who's never been much of a shooting-sports enthusiast (her father was an Irish Chicago copper), will be happy to tell you that of all of the sports, hobbies, pastimes, and (yes) milieus we've participated in, the shooting-games people are way the nicest, most helpful, and most welcoming of all.
    The first time she went along to a match, she was practically shocked at how nice everybody was, and how much they try to make the new people comfortable and successful.
    Even my friend Jer.
    Remember that motto...

Top Bottom