• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    No one mentioned a Fobus paddle holster. Is there a reason?? Just curious because that is what I use. I'm no Pro but, it seems to work quite well, as well as the mag pouche. I know some other guys use the same and seem to be happy with them as well. Maybe I'm missing something here.
    Oh, I did have one guy tell me that the new Fobus have a steel strip at the rivets that keeps them from breaking. Apparently, that was an issue with older ones.

I hate to be a kill joy but the Fobus holsters are cheap and often do not "lock in" on a consistent basis. I'd rather make one purchase of a Comp Tac holster and single magazine holders than buy Fobus now and Comp Tac later. Take a survey and the majority of competition and carry shooters will tell you Fobus is poor quality. Of course, everyone has there own opinion and you will probably find those who love the Fobus but I doubt if there will be very many.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Dang, and here I thought they were good.
    I've used mine for almost a year now and, at least, it has performed very well. Guess I got, and have been, lucky. I'll have to start checking others out to see what I might like if my Fobus lays down on me. I hope not as it really does work well for my IDPA needs.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I shot my first season with Fobus holster and mag pouches, worked out okay.

One reason I like the Comp-tac or Bladetech gear is the gun and mags ease in and out of the gear a little smoother while still having good retention.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    So think I have decided on a blade tech black ice doh. I can remove the doh when doing idpa, and if I want to do uspsa ill have a decent rig for that too... is any one using one or these for these 2 games? Hos is it working out?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I ran one in USPSA last few years and it worked okay.

I went with the Comp-tac this time because I want something close to the belt and have the same exact draw/reholster every single time, regardless of shooting USPSA, IDPA or a defensive class.

If you convert from high to low depending on USPSA/IDPA, your draws will come from different places. Why not just choose one, so your draw comes from the same place, no matter what you're shooting?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Holster selection is a giant and never ending rabbit hole that you can go down, LOL I tried several but found that the Raven Phantom worked the best for EDC and competition. Good luck and let us know what you end up with or if you have any other questions.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I figure draws will be different for both games because of the sweeping the cover out if the way for idpa. I dont normally tuck my shirt in and figure the doh might be nice because I have tiny hips but a bigger belly. Im afraid that a standard belt holster might be a little too close for my tactical love handles... Hehehe. Never had a owb holster before so I don't know anything.. iwb is very uncomfortable for me.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    The worst problem with the Fobus and some of the others is that they are injection molded plastic. Injection molded plastic is very cheap to manufacture but it also can get work hardened where it moves a bunch then it will get a white line on it and the next thing it does is break. I keep one in my bag as a back up/loaner holster but if you want something that will last any IMP is not the answer.
    I have used the Comp tac and love it also Custom Kydex Solutions make them up near Indy. Great customer service and products too.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Interesting. I did a little schooling of myself on the holsters you guys like. Good info!!
    I guess since I have it, I'll use the Fobus till it lays down and see how well, and long, it lasts. It really does have good retention and smooth clean action.
    I am sold on the paddle style tho, as I never wear a belt. I refuse to get the "middle age spread". :)
    Thanx a bunch!

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Just ordered a blade tech DOH, revolution double mag pouch, and an original instructors belt for $125 shipped. Wanted single mag carriers but the extra $45 didn't seem Worth it yet.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I am sold on the paddle style tho, as I never wear a belt

huh? then what is going to hold your paddle holster up, and keep it from coming along with the gun when you draw? you need to wear a belt... a good stiff belt.

I'm not a fan of paddle holsters, for any application. They shift around too much, imo. up/down, left/right/, tilt angle... just not solid enough, imo.

-rvb

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    The Fobus has a provision that grabs under the waste band of your pants. I wear jeans everyday and it can actually be a little tricky to get it off my pants. I assure you, it does not/will not come off with a "draw" and I've not had any issue with it moving around. I quite like the way it works. (the lack of a "spare tire" may also be a benefit, I don't know) :dunno: My thought is that if you need a belt, your pants are too big! ;) :): :rolleyes:
    YMMV.

So, tell me, are other paddle holsters not like that??????????? I read about all the ones you guys mentioned but don't recall reading about that feature. I assumed they all did that. I'm now concerned with possibly "upgrading" as I need that feature. Sorry, but I do not wear belts. And I'm not going to. IDPA is supposed to simulate "real life" and that is my real life. If the other manufacturers of the "better holsters" don't have that feature, it's a deal breaker. I guess I'll just have to keep a couple Fobus on hand in case one breaks.

Thanx for the insight!!!!!!!:yesway:

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Yes, yes it is.
    Not sure that answering your questions deserved that remark but.... you are right.
    So far tho, it has performed very well as the guys who recommended it told me it would. And that is dispite the relatively reasonable price and the fact I do not wear a belt. (which may be the reason they recommended it for me. ?? I'll have to ask them in March)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Not sure that answering your questions deserved that remark

you sound like I insulted you? not sure how and it wasn't my intent. I started to type a big reply about the benefits of a sturdy rig in competition and why a fobus paddle wont do it for me, but if your goal is to practice in your every day gear, then it's moot anyway. Hence my statement.

I do not wear a belt. (which may be the reason they recommended it for me. ?? I'll have to ask them in March)

all paddles I've seen have some form of hook on them. I dont think the fobus is special in that regard (or any regard ;) haha! well, maybe price point). I looked at one I have sitting on the shelf (for 642). appears the intent of the hooks was to go under a belt, probably a 1.5". not saying it doesn't work, just saying I don't think there's anything special about the design to make it work w/o a belt.

:cheers:

-rvb

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Yep. We kinda did. My apologies. But, it started off with good intents.:rolleyes: :D
    Hopefully, we contributed something of value for someone.
    (back to our regulary scheduled program):popcorn:

Top Bottom