• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I got up early this morning and went to the USPSA match in Atlanta. I got there early and helped set up. I had hoped to shoot however I didn't come across any of the fellows from here I had hoped to meet and I was short on gear i.e. mags mag holster's etc.

I brought the mag holders and the holster for your 1911 but couldn't find you. I showed up 15-minutes early and was at the shooters meeting. Sorry we didn't connect.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I avoid grease type lubes in all conditions. In dry climates they tend to become permiated with dust particles and become gritty, they gum up in the cold and melt off in the heat. Under extreem cold conditions no lubracant other than graphite is reccomended...JC

In cold weather I use Dow Corning Molykote G-0050 FG White EP Bearing Grease. It's dirt cheap compared to dedicated gun lubricants, and it keeps the same thin consistency regardless of temperature. It's an NLGI-0 rated grease, meaning, it's so thin it's almost a liquid. But it stays put like a grease. Good stuff, if you can find it.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I had a dud round. Bad Winchester primer.

But that and shooting 2 targets six times (hey, they were all A's) were my only issues.

It was on the stage, "Did I break your concentration?"

Go figure.

It was a great match though. Jake likes 32 round field courses. So do I.

boljr01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    I've never done anything like this before. How should I start? Especially since I don't even get out to the range nearly enough already.

Lack of experience shouldn't be too great a concern provided you're safe. Get ear/eye protection, holster, and mags and go to an event. Most everyone I've encountered use the events to improve thier shooting and handling skills and most are willing to assist new shooters. IDPA was specifically structured to class you with folks of similar experience/ability. Good luck.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    In cold weather I use Dow Corning Molykote G-0050 FG White EP Bearing Grease. It's dirt cheap compared to dedicated gun lubricants, and it keeps the same thin consistency regardless of temperature. It's an NLGI-0 rated grease, meaning, it's so thin it's almost a liquid. But it stays put like a grease. Good stuff, if you can find it.

This is OT but I thought it would be of interest. After you posted this I went to Dow Corning's web site and requested a professional sample for some 'small mechanical devices' I work with. I thought I'd get a small tube of it. They sent me a full size grease gun cartridge of it! That'll last me a lifetime.

Anyone want a squirt?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Cool! I guess I should have requested a sample. I bought two tubes from McMaster Carr. I think I paid $8 per 14-ounce tube. I use it on my Hornady LnL reloading press too... thicker greases just wouldn't work. I couldn't hardly get regular automotive grease into the fittings, and it made the press really "sticky" to operate. The molykote is much better...

This is OT but I thought it would be of interest. After you posted this I went to Dow Corning's web site and requested a professional sample for some 'small mechanical devices' I work with. I thought I'd get a small tube of it. They sent me a full size grease gun cartridge of it! That'll last me a lifetime.

Anyone want a squirt?

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Saturdays match has been cancelled due to weather.

Greetings,

I am cancelling the IDPA match scheduled tomorrow morning at Atlanta Conservation Club. Unfortunately we have January weather in early December and I am concerned range conditions will be dangerous in the morning. It will windy and the temperature will be around 15 degrees. I'm also concerned about ice which makes movement hazardous. Since there is little on the schedule for ACC during the winter months, there is always a chance I can call a match if conditions appear favorable.

We will plan on shooting the first Saturday in January, weather permitting.

Jeff Brown

ShooterDW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I do the stats for Atlanta, and help run the matches there. PM me with your email address and I will put you on the IDPA mailing list.

DonW.

Top Bottom