If crime was bad enough, would you vote for martial law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you consider voting for martial law if your town had a terrible crime problem?

• Total voters

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    As I understand things,Bary is building his private army right now. I've heard that he's hiring mercenaries/private security forces by the boat load.
    Originally Posted by PatriotPride
    No. And you know what would happen to any law enforcement officers who attempted to enforce martial law.

I do. Nothing.
    I'm not a gambling man, but there's a bet I'll take. Let's see what happens at MY house.
    If they feel a NEED to pass something, I support the city counsel voting to fund firearms training (for people of good character:):) and passing a rule requiring a firearm in each home. A $500 per year security fee would be charged if the homeowner doesn't want to have a firearm.
    That would put a dent in the crime issue.:ar15:
    Works pretty well in Switzerland, I'm game.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I was going to leave this alone but curiosity got the better of me and I scanned the articles.

I am now curious how a 24 hour curfew declared by a mayor and voted on by a town council relates to martial law. Perhaps I overlooked it but I saw no mention of military personnel.

From Wikipedia............"Martial law is the imposition of military rule by military authorities over designated regions on an emergency basis......."

The line between police and soldiers is getting blurrier and blurrier. The first line of this article says the cops were walking around with "military rifles" enforcing this curfew. The fact that humvees aren't rolling through the streets doesn't seem to matter much at that point. Freedom is dead, and which agency of Government killed it is pretty inconsequential. :twocents:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm not a gambling man, but there's a bet I'll take. Let's see what happens in MY home.

I'm going to guess nothing since you'd have to be away from your home for a curfew to affect you in any way.

Interesting this is about Helena, AR. I was there a couple years ago. Its a very poor, but beautiful (as in the run down southern arcitecture was beautiful at one time), area. It's amazing how poor that entire area is.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm going to guess nothing since you'd have to be away from your home for a curfew to affect you in any way.

Interesting this is about Helena, AR. I was there a couple years ago. Its a very poor, but beautiful (as in the run down southern arcitecture was beautiful at one time), area. It's amazing how poor that entire area is.

So rights are proportional to income?

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I think we may see more and more of this happening in the next few years. Once elected officials becoming self appointed long term officials with anyone voicing an objection being labelled a trouble maker and being arrested for some suddenly new crime.

I hope not but I think that's what me may be seeing in the near future.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That's what it was, just an aside to the rest of the thread. It didn't having anything to do with the topic at hand other than I was there not too long ago.

That's why I ask questions like this before unloading the big guns.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    No way. If the need martial law, then society will not benefit from a jackboot on its neck.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I do. Nothing.

Uhhh...

Just going to throw out my .02 as someone who has ACTUALLY seen Martial Law situations. Curfews don't work to stop anything. And whoever enforces the the curfew, no matter how cool of toys and tech you have will pay for doing the job of enforcing the curfew.

JM.02
    YMMV
    :dunno:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I personally have to be out and about quite often between the hours of midnight and 6am for the purpose of my work in engineering.

Any sort of "Curfew" is idiotic in my mind, even for those "Under age". I think it's incumbent upon the parent to handle their own children, not law enforcement (until the parents fail to a point where the child is breaking the law).

I remember many summer nights where my friends and I played basketball until 3 or 4 in the morning on the weekends when I was a teenager. No alcohol or drugs involved, we just had jobs that kept us busy during the day, chores and family time in the evenings and the weekend nighttime was our time to do what we wanted.

The problem with this type of thing today is that most kids don't seem to have any of the responsibilities that we had 15-20+ years ago. When I tell my neighbors kids (10-15) that I've had a job since I was 13 AND I did chores, their eyes almost fall out of their heads.

I think personal responsibility is no longer valued in today's society by the majority. We are down to what like 60% of American people actually working and paying income taxes? A vast number (albeit not quite a majority yet) feel as though they can just let the government and the actual workers of the country be responsible them and their needs instead of relying on themselves.

I was taught to be responsible for myself, the people in Helena believe the local government should be responsible for the citizens.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Voted no, the main reason is that realistically (and I am not kidding here), if things got that bad that martial law was even discussed, vigilanties (armed and potentially masked) would take up the slack. Dead serious. There is only so much crap society can take and only so much it's enforcer's can do that the populace would take solace and almost a sense of instruction from it's darker self and begin campaigning against the evil besetting it. :twocents:

In all honesty, what officer would stop someone LIKE Batman or Charles Bronson if they fought CRIME, not just basing their fight on twisted morals? (example: Instead of hitting drug dealers, the vigilante strikes at churches or abortion clinics?) Granted society needs rules and regulations to operate correctly and without anarchy, but there has to be a line drawn in it's self regulation. I don't want a masked vigilante (maybe myself :D :D ) knocking someone out for speeding, but destruction of a drug lab, that is something else? Where does that discipline come from? Maybe former officers themselves? :D

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Voted no. If things got bad enough to invoke martial law I'll activate my SHTF plan and head out to where there is no martial law.

StarKing

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Muncie
    This.

I would vote for it if there was a zombie invasion and everyone who's flesh wasn't rotting was to be a marshal. =p

There you go . . . martial law by the entire local militia. I think I could live with that under the circumstances you described.

I assume, of course, that the zombies are not included in the militia.

Are progressives considered zombies?

:oldwise:

Top Bottom