If crime was bad enough, would you vote for martial law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you consider voting for martial law if your town had a terrible crime problem?

• Total voters

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I voted no for all the reasons already stated and won't bother repeating.

I'm just curious who the three people are that voted yes and why they are willing to give up their constitutional rights. What's the thought process here?

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    No thanks.

I would not care to have a few elected officials make a decision
    that infringed on the rights of free men.

Under very few circumstances should martial law be enacted.
    (Severe weather conditions to protect the idiots comes to mind)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Under very few circumstances should martial law be enacted.
    (Severe weather conditions to protect the idiots comes to mind)
    I don't think people should have a curfew even if it is dangerous outside. It's their funeral.

Heaven forbid they go after the criminals.

If they have some crime suspects, then they don't need martial law to sort it out. We can't give up freedom to save America. The worst criminals in that town are the ones who betrayed their oath to uphold the constitution.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    No because i see the real problem.Instead of martial law there should be open hunting season on illegal drug dealers and users. Buck or doe no limit and watch crime drop.:popcorn:
    With that type of thinking its not long til people stretch to drug abuse. Not long after that bars, restaurants, and pharmacies will be bombed.

Anywho, I'm sure the couple of people that voted yes just don't want to be talked down to, if they even care enough to follow the thread.

(I voted No)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    NO, because even if the time came that martial law ended, the government wouldn't restore things to the way they were before martial law was declared.
    Theyd use the imposition of martial law as an opportunity to enact laws and policies that would remain after martial law was supposedly repealed.
    Purely for "our security" of course.... LOL

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I can guarantee the 3 that voted yes are currently employed as the King's Men, and see no problem with ordering around the plebeans.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    NEVER!

even if it were voted to stop crime, the price of innocent people being treated the same as criminals would never be worth the price.

RandyMarlar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Zionsville
    If they feel a NEED to pass something, I support the city counsel voting to fund firearms training (for people of good character:):) and passing a rule requiring a firearm in each home. A $500 per year security fee would be charged if the homeowner doesn't want to have a firearm.
    That would put a dent in the crime issue.:ar15:

Randy
    :patriot:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    If they feel a NEED to pass something, I support the city counsel voting to fund firearms training (for people of good character:):) and passing a rule requiring a firearm in each home. A $500 per year security fee would be charged if the homeowner doesn't want to have a firearm.

As tempting as that sounds, not only because it would benefit me personally but also to punish those who, through hostility or indifference have done so much damage to the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, I would still vote against such a law or ordinance.

It cannot be reconciled with the belief, the wish, the need to get government officials off our backs and out of our lives, especially in those areas they have no business or constitutional authority inserting themselves.
    As I've tried to explain to the blissninnies who screamed and glared at me in wild-eyed horror for advocating the repeal of unconstitutional statutes, the right to do something carries with it the right to not do that something. The right to arm oneself entails the right to choose not to be armed. We might think less of such a person, or that he is shirking his responsibility, but he should not be compelled to do so. So it's not a matter of the government arming the people or paying for their training, but rather getting out of the way and respecting the right of the people to arm themselves - and to carry those arms - as the people see fit.

We have enough trouble with misappropriation of tax monies at all levels. Furthermore, I don't want government officials deciding, in this particular instance or manner, who is or is not of "good character" or a "proper person". A person who demonstrates his true character through the commission of a violent criminal act will be removed by his intended victims, or those around him who are armed and trained on their own initiative.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Curiosity got me

I was going to leave this alone but curiosity got the better of me and I scanned the articles.

I am now curious how a 24 hour curfew declared by a mayor and voted on by a town council relates to martial law. Perhaps I overlooked it but I saw no mention of military personnel.

From Wikipedia............"Martial law is the imposition of military rule by military authorities over designated regions on an emergency basis......."

Top Bottom