• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brichindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    SW Indiana
    how would the following round compare to other popular self defense rounds?

I have a chance to get 200 rounds of Federal LE Tactical HST 9mm 124 gr JHP +P rounds for $0.25/round. But the only experience I have had with any type of Federal ammo was their cheap American Eagle line for plinking and I was not very impressed. So I have a couple questions.

1) Those who use or have used this ammo for self defense - thoughts?... I know there are better options (Speer, Corbon, etc) out there, but for the price I'm getting I can't pass this up.
    2) Would running 150 trouble free rounds through a gun be plenty to consider it a reliable cartridge, and saving the last 50 for defense? I always wondered how this worked when some of the rounds marketed for defense go for $1+ per round :dunno:

brichindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    SW Indiana
    .25 cents a round? how?!

Some poor guy's wifey put her liberal foot down and said no to weapons in the house.

But in all seriousness... a guy I know is moving indefinitely to India to be a missionary and was selling his 9mm and ammo. So I offered $50 for what was left of the ammo and he said OK. :D

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    HST is in the line of the top defensive ammo. People will argue which is "best" but I would say in the top-of-the-line group along with a few others. Ranger RA9T and the 127+p+, HST (124 or 147gr), Corbon DPX, etc. All high dollar but high quality rounds. There is a list a doctor put together of the ones that will work, but I don't have the link. Feel comfortable carrying HST.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    There are more expensive rounds out there but the HST performs right up there with the other top performers.

Run 100, save 100.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    ^-- this.

HST is good stuff. Should be smooth feeding and ultra reliable. I've never had a misfire or light load in the several thousand rounds of federal LE contract ammo I've fired.

brichindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    SW Indiana
    HST's are TOP OF THE LINE... buy as many as you can for that price and PM me if you can get more for that price, as i want in.

I wish I could get more myself, but I picked up the last bit of what he had.

Run 100, save 100.

Thanks for the advice, will do that this weekend and see how it goes.

Makes me think if some people really shoot that much of the more expensive stuff before deciding to load up for carry.

Top Bottom