If I'm stopped by a cop while carrying...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaveMan58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Is it necessary to notify them that you are carrying or do they already know that you have the LTCH when they scan your driver's license. I just always figured I wouldn't say a word since I should never have a reason to be searched.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My telling of the officer will be wholly dependent upon the situation.

General traffic stop where I'm not asked to get out of the car? I probably wouldn't notify.

If a situation arises where I'm asked to get out of my car and I AM carrying, you bet your sweet bippy that I'm notifying AND then asking, politely, how to proceed.

-J-

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have learned from experience, do not keep your LTCH in proximity to you DL in your wallet. The last time I got stopped, the officer saw it, inquired as to whether I was carrying, and promptly disarmed me.

I agree with Indy Guy...don't ask, don't tell.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You are under no legal obligation to tell them.

I would do so as a matter of courtesy, except for the fact that there are some officers who treat armed citizens as criminals. Because of those few officers, I do not disclose.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The police cannot tell if you have a LTCH by running your drivers license. I would not tell an officer that I'm carrying unless I'm put in a position where he can recognize that I'm carrying by print or actual observation. I don't want to create a reason to be cuffed and sat on the sidewalk while I'm being checked out.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. There is no statutory obligation to disclose that you are carrying.

2. I practice don't tell, unless asked. I would only volunteer that I was carrying if the officer/deputy/trooper wanted me to step outside the car (yes, they can do this).

3. I do not volunteer that I am carrying for my own safety. I've had an officer point one of my own guns (but oddly let me keep the other guns I was carrying) at me once (and everyone else on earth), I do not wish another time and have had friends who have looked at the muzzle of their own guns.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    I keep my LTCH right behind my drivers license and will inform them every time by choice. I have never had a bad experience with this but if I do you better believe I will get the name(s) and higher ups will hear a lot from me.

Do want ever you think is best just remember if a LEO does not know you are carrying and you don't inform them and for some reason LEO finds out by noticing or yo have to step out of the vehicle things are going to get real touchy at best.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    The police cannot tell if you have a LTCH by running your drivers license. I would not tell an officer that I'm carrying unless I'm put in a position where he can recognize that I'm carrying by print or actual observation. I don't want to create a reason to be cuffed and sat on the sidewalk while I'm being checked out.

I think that depends on where you live. Some have linked their database with the ISP database or something like that. I know some towns have the ability.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    In the first place, don't give them a reason to stop you. Wouldn't do much good with my drivers license, accidentally spilled some cleaning fluid on the back of mine and the strip disappeared when I wiped it off.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    In the first place, don't give them a reason to stop you. Wouldn't do much good with my drivers license, accidentally spilled some cleaning fluid on the back of mine and the strip disappeared when I wiped it off.
    :+1:to the first sentence.

:laugh: to the second, cause now they are gonna think your hiding something and are now gonna wanna know what color the inside of your colon is.
    i hope they use gloves for that investigation :):. you will be stunned if they pull out their new TACTICAL GERBILLS for confined space searches :):

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think that depends on where you live. Some have linked their database with the ISP database or something like that. I know some towns have the ability.

Correct. Some (ie Munster, IN) typically call in the DL to their HQ. At HQ then do a full run and it will come out that you have a LTCH. That info is then passed on to the LEO that did the call-in.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I have learned from experience, do not keep your LTCH in proximity to you DL in your wallet. The last time I got stopped, the officer saw it, inquired as to whether I was carrying, and promptly disarmed me.

I agree with Indy Guy...don't ask, don't tell.

Same thing happened to me. When getting my DL out, he noticed my pink LTCH and asked for my weapon for his safety during the stop. When the Officer brought my weapon back to me, he handed me my Colt empty, magazine empty, and a handful of loose ammo. I moved where I keep my permits (IN and FL) in my walletsince then.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Question answered above.

Though, I hand the officer my ID and LTCH at the same time. I'd rather the officer know from the get go, rather then him/her spot it on their own.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In the first place, don't give them a reason to stop you.

Remember, you do not have to be doing anything "wrong" in order for the police to stop you. You can be obeying the law to the letter when the police stop you, take one of your pistols and then point it at everyone in the neighborhood, including you.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Remember, you do not have to be doing anything "wrong" in order for the police to stop you. You can be obeying the law to the letter when the police stop you, take one of your pistols and then point it at everyone in the neighborhood, including you.

Just drink your coffee and quit pouting.:D

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I thought we were just supposed to take our guns out of their holsters and wave them around. That way the officer would be sure to know it was there.

Am I wrong?

Top Bottom