Fort Wayne
    Particular-set-of-skills-1.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A good friend has one. He keeps some starter fluid next to it. If it sits for a long time he has to use it and especially if it is cold out.

One thing to remember: Starting fluid will help to overcome excessively cold temperatures or not enough fuel to ignite under compression. It will NOT ignite by itself in the absence of fuel, so make sure your fuel system will hold prime at least well enough to be pumping SOME fuel.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    rack.jpg

When I installed my storm shelter I put together this little rack.
    3 deep cycle batteries, three stage battery charger,1000 watt inverter, 400 watt inverter, car chargers for the phones,12 volt TV, switched and fused circuits for lights and fans in the building.
    It has come in handy during minor outages keeping the beer fridge going.

One of these days I need to add the solar panels, till then a generator will charge it up if needed.

Lessons learned?
    Buy quality the first time, pure sine wave inverters, don't bother with modified sine wave no name garbage.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    View attachment 60135

When I installed my storm shelter I put together this little rack.
    3 deep cycle batteries, three stage battery charger,1000 watt inverter, 400 watt inverter, car chargers for the phones,12 volt TV, switched and fused circuits for lights and fans in the building.
    It has come in handy during minor outages keeping the beer fridge going.

One of these days I need to add the solar panels, till then a generator will charge it up if needed.

Lessons learned?
    Buy quality the first time, pure sine wave inverters, don't bother with modified sine wave no name garbage.

Having been off-grid for 30 years now, this is not bad advice in general, but quality MSW inverters are not a bad investement. My original Trace 2012 inverter which I bought in 1989 has been going faithfully that entire time. The Xantrex (formerly Trace) 2kW inverter/charger I bought twelve years ago is also ticking along fine. Both are daily use. Every cheap, no name inverter I have ever bought has died within a year or two of daily use.

Top Bottom