If Psychologists Can’t Peg Dangerous People, How Will Red Flag Laws Help?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    To the contrary, isn't IC 35-47-14 exactly this?

Hasn't this law been on the books for years now? And given that it has, isn't this the argument we make re: look at all the other states where concealed carry/open carry/permitless carry has been tried, and LO! no blood running in the streets...

The wrong anal orifice hasn't gotten hold of it, I realize, either that or it's not reported that Joe Gunowner and his schoolteacher wife described in mom45's post #8 above, happened.

I am in agreement with Liberty Sanders that if you want to stop the crimes, stop the criminals. In this case, that would look like locking people up for evaluation. It's a lot harder to keep a reasonable, moderately stable person locked up for six months or more than it is to take an inanimate object from that person and throw it in an evidence locker.

Then the only issue that can come up is the anti-gun psychiatrist who clearly states "If I find out any of my patients have a gun permit, I contact the state to revoke it." And yes, I was present when one in particular said it and no, I was not one of her patients.

Don't misunderstand. I do not support "red flag laws" in any but the most abstract of terms. Properly written, properly administered, properly carried out, they sound like a wonderful tool for LE to use against the Adam Lanzas, the Klebold and Harrises, and the Cho Seung-Huis. But see, then PEOPLE get involved and it comes out of the abstract and they get used against the Randy Weavers or the Joe Gunowners.

Another route that this could take to prevent loss of life is that LE wait until the people leave the home. No "no-knocks", go in with a tranq dart for Fido at most (or maybe just Animal Control with a rope loop?) and perform the state-sanctioned theft that way, but at least no lives would be at risk.

Whether we go the latter route or the former of taking the person out of the equation, what am I missing here?

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:
    Top Bottom