• ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    dblagent:
    We wouldn't turn anyone away that we know and trust in a time like that.
    You shouldn't feel like you're imposing on someone if you need
    to stay due to an emergency.
    Especially if you're helping out in some way if needed.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    +1 Justus: If someone pulls thier weight or has something to contribute to the community (not just supplies but a strong back or diligent mind) then they are always welcome. Strength in numbers, despite the resource situation. If a bad SHTF came, I was out in my yard, loading the car, someone comes up and says can I come with? I will only ask, can you shoot a gun? If the answer is yes, then my answer is tighten down the other side of the roof load and get in, dont touch the stereo.:D

I dont consider myself a leader type, but I think of myself like George Washington in the sense that I look at all sides of an arguement before subscribing to one, or create a hybrid. That is why I prefer people of diligent minds, minds that are open and thinking. If someone panics or turns to yelling when determining where to go, then they are done in my book. I have a general game plan in my mind, if people want to come with, I only require them the ability to think and shoot (that and a rain poncho, its gotta rain sometime).

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    wher to go?

I think all families have to develop a good plan for SHTF and all members have to be willing to sacrifice to get where you need to go. My family has a spot that has a decently secluded area and the route to it is out for the most part of sight.

fcb98292

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    >>However, you'd be surprised how well order is maintained in an anarchical situation by people themselves.>>

Katrina showed everyone how times have changed, and the reality that hits after a SHTF event. I was not surprised at how well people maintained themselves. I was frustrated that 'some' people took advantage of their neighbors and looted every store in town, smiling at news cameras that saw them. It was a party to them! Given, those people are not in large numbers in some cities, so for those locales it will be better.

fcb98292

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    dblagent:
    We wouldn't turn anyone away that we know and trust in a time like that.
    You shouldn't feel like you're imposing on someone if you need
    to stay due to an emergency.
    Especially if you're helping out in some way if needed.

You cannot feed the masses unless you agree to go hungry. There is only so much you can store.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You can't turn everyone away either without creating problems.

You can turn people away without problems, if you are not advertising that you have anything. There are a couple reasons why I'm working on a hidden room. First is so that friends and family don't comment or freak about any large amount of ammo I decide to store (which I consider an investment similar to purchasing silver or gold, as it is only going up in price). Or about any food storage I decide to participate in.

While I do not see it to be likely, I could see a situation where not only does the government take what you have, but persecute you as a "hoarder". Although it would be an incorrect use of the word, being that you stored the food away before there was any shortage. The hungry masses will not care what is correct and vilify you anyway.

Above all, I hope any precautions I currently take will look like serious over kill ten years from now.

If I know AND trust someone, they'll have a place here whether there's enough food or not.

I agree. To me, trust is more important than skills. A stranger that is a great shot and very experienced with firearms, might just decide to take it all after eliminating you.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    You can turn people away without problems, if you are not advertising that you have anything. There are a couple reasons why I'm working on a hidden room. First is so that friends and family don't comment or freak about any large amount of ammo I decide to store (which I consider an investment similar to purchasing silver or gold, as it is only going up in price). Or about any food storage I decide to participate in.

While I do not see it to be likely, I could see a situation where not only does the government take what you have, but persecute you as a "hoarder". Although it would be an incorrect use of the word, being that you stored the food away before there was any shortage. The hungry masses will not care what is correct and vilify you anyway.

Above all, I hope any precautions I currently take will look like serious over kill ten years from now.

I agree. To me, trust is more important than skills. A stranger that is a great shot and very experienced with firearms, might just decide to take it all after eliminating you.

One of the best ways to prevent being accussed (by the government) of "hoarding" is to pay with cash if at all possible. And to shop at different places. Or do a little at a time (maybe one week or a month worth) (Maybe in different towns) And........
    KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! :): Hungry neighbors, family, friends would be happy to "tattle" if they don't "get their share".

scor5150pio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have Bug-Out Bag if we need to leave. But my primary plan is to Survive In-Place. Hoping to talk the little lady into a wood stove. I think that we're alll good except for alternative heat source.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Farm

The family farm is in a very rural Indiana County. My family does know to head there in the event anything bad happens: sever depression or insurection. My Father's family did not even know the first depression in the 30s except for the shortage of rubber. They had horses and mules. They had cattle and plenty of grains and water. On the farm, we can take care of ourselve barring a nuclear war. Even then we my survive.
    We're not close to a target metro area. If I keep plenty of fuel on hand, my 4-wheel can make it cross-county. I will need a bridge or two, however.

I know one of these events can happen in my lifetime. I Pray to my Lord this does not happen.

Last edited:

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I first read this thread a while back and it got me to thinking.

A friend of mine has over 1,000 acres of wooded land in the Pa. mountains. The only thing there is his hunting cabin. We had a nice chat and he said if the SHTF I can head there. I'm going hunting with him this fall so I can get the lay of the land and find a place to start caching extra ammo, and non-perishable supplies. I figure I can add to it every time I go and build it up. He said there are some old root cellars and barn cellars that are well hidden that could be used.

I still have a long way to go, (money and time) but I am getting things together slowly. The next major purchase will be an ATV with a cargo trailer to make sure I can transport extra guns, ammo, reloading equipment and supplies, clothing and food if I have to bug out.

Thanks to everyone here for waking me up to this issue.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    If something happens like katrina(maybe say, a real earthquake this time), my family and i will be waiting for the national gaurd and blackwater to take all the guns again.

they can have all the ammo they want.at about 3200 fps.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    If something happens like katrina(maybe say, a real earthquake this time), my family and i will be waiting for the national gaurd and blackwater to take all the guns again.

they can have all the ammo they want.at about 3200 fps.

You might want to hunt down the new law that forbids such illegal action and make a few copies and in such an event, tape one to your door (on the outside of course) Then, if necessary point it out.

Patient Zer0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Peru/Kokomo
    My wife and I have a plan to shelter in place. We live in Nora in a 2nd story apt. Destroying the stairs will go a long way towards keeping the hordes away. We live a pretty spartan lifestyle to begin with and all of our back-up heating/cooking needs are done in a modern primative way anyway. If worse came to worst, we each have Bug-Out Bags and a plan to get to my grandfathers farm North of Peru. Depending on the level of disaster of course.

Top Bottom