• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I was liberal when my wife and I first met. We were meant for each other. I've since seen the light and become a right-wing nut-job. My wife is slowly coming around. When she goes to the store I as her to buy a few specific things, whatever I think we need. This usually works. This has been the result of a two year conversation, trying to educate her on how dangerous and naive it is to live day to day.

Also, use natural disasters as your subject matter or conversation starter.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I prefer copper to silver or gold; besides metal value it has further value when combined with powder, lead and a primer (and it is still bright and shiny). :draw:

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Its not lying if you dont tell her otherwise.

My wife is pretty supportive of it. Not fully to the extent that I am, but she's actually told me before she thinks it would be a good idea for us to put some more stuff back and store up! So I wa:rockwoot: happy to hear that:rockwoot:. She's definitely more interested in the food storage aspect of prepping. She cans/gardens/ and is good with money. Although she does have her own gun, and knows how to use it. We're working towards the debt free goal, but had a few setbacks last year. Our biggest problem is a lack of storage space right now. Hopefully that'll all be changing here in the next couple months. If I get this new job, we will be moving and be ready to go.

We were watching a show the other day, and the guy had an underground bunker/storage unit... and she (half jokingly...i think) asked if I wanted one of "those" at our new house. She knows me all too well lol.

back to ur question though... i'd just do it and not say anything. Don't come home with a truck to onload, but just buy a little extra here and there and keep putting it back. The first time you ever need it, and you are prepared... she will hopefully see the importance of it.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Okay, the pic I was going to put here is inappropriate so I won't post it. We've all seen it though, she has 2 black eyes and a caption that reads "you already told her twice"...

Seriously though...We had some hard times in the beginning of our relationship and my wife understands the value of prepping. We both agree that we will NEVER go there again so having her on board means no lying or hiding it. We also have very little income during winter months allowing us to take advantage of our stored goods. Every winter is a practice run for us, honing our skills as well as serving to rotate our goods and determine what areas we are lacking in. Holding out very well this year, with the warm temps we haven't had to spend a bunch on wood (good thing too).

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to what Throttle Jockey refers to, folks used to live that way, period. You would grow and hunt your food, store it, preserve it, prep for winter and live off what you have.
    My income slows down in winter as well but we continue to build on our stored goods and cycle through the short shelf life items.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    My wife just says to remember to prep lots of coffee. She says if she runs out of coffee all of the ammo in the world won't save my butt.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is a tough subject and I have been able to slowly get my wife to understand why I do what I do. She gets the idea, but she doesn't think it's likely to ever be needed because it's never happened to us before. What helped me to get the point across was having her read One Second After as a birthday present to me. I begged her to read it and she did. She understood what I was getting at, but doesn't like the idea of a grid down scenario.

One thing that's really helped me gain a lot of ground is the haiti earthquake and other natural disasters that we can study from the safety & security of our living room couch. I kept telling my wife just how far a few buckets of rice and some water filters would have gone in Haiti and how many lives that would have saved. Then I reference all the trageties of hurricane Katrina or look at what just happened in our own state with the tornados.

My wife isn't a prepper, but she's married to one and we both do a pretty good job of "tolerating" each others oddities. The last thing I'd do is start keeping secrets from my wife. I don't think lying to your spouse is wise if you want to retain all of your preps and not just having half of your stuff after the court fees are paid. Marry once, cry once.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is a tough subject and I have been able to slowly get my wife to understand why I do what I do. She gets the idea, but she doesn't think it's likely to ever be needed because it's never happened to us before. What helped me to get the point across was having her read One Second After as a birthday present to me. I begged her to read it and she did. She understood what I was getting at, but doesn't like the idea of a grid down scenario.

One thing that's really helped me gain a lot of ground is the haiti earthquake and other natural disasters that we can study from the safety & security of our living room couch. I kept telling my wife just how far a few buckets of rice and some water filters would have gone in Haiti and how many lives that would have saved. Then I reference all the trageties of hurricane Katrina or look at what just happened in our own state with the tornados.

My wife isn't a prepper, but she's married to one and we both do a pretty good job of "tolerating" each others oddities. The last thing I'd do is start keeping secrets from my wife. I don't think lying to your spouse is wise if you want to retain all of your preps and not just having half of your stuff after the court fees are paid. Marry once, cry once.

I never got to keep half..........:dunno:

You are right. If you have to lie, you chose poorly.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    poeple have been stockpiling, hoarding, and prepping forever....if it helps you sleep at night and you can afford the extra costs easy enough, just explain that to her...tell her its just cuz "you never know"

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    You're not prepping, you're just being frugal (buying in bulk) and the government even advises a preparedness plan in case of a natural disaster. You're just extending the time they recommend. Now where do you live exactly, so I can help you out in case of an emergency. Like a good neighbor. :)

Top Bottom