• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Then they need to bring back the "Have an LTCH" then you get to skip the BG process. I cannot believe they got rid of this rule in the first place.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Umm, They never got rid of background checks...

Indiana, at one point, had mandatory backround checks for all firearms sales. So in effect, they did "get rid of" checks for private sales. Also, prior to the instant NICS system, an LTCH negated the need for the cumbersome fingerprinting and background check.

Yep, fingerprinting. Anyone else remember getting fingerprinted for handgun purchases in the early 1990's?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Indiana, at one point, had mandatory backround checks for all firearms sales. So in effect, they did "get rid of" checks for private sales. Also, prior to the instant NICS system, an LTCH negated the need for the cumbersome fingerprinting and background check.

Yep, fingerprinting. Anyone else remember getting fingerprinted for handgun purchases in the early 1990's?
    nope wasn't old enough to buy a handgun when that was law.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Vaguely, I seem to recall Joann at Stewart's in Bloomington having me ink up.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Then they need to bring back the "Have an LTCH" then you get to skip the BG process. I cannot believe they got rid of this rule in the first place.

If I remember correctly, it was originally done away with because Indiana in doing their background checks for LTCH didn't meet some Federal standard.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Been buying since mid 70's. Always had LTCH and that negated the waiting period but there was no "background check" and I do recall vaguely finger printing.

Bob

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    TJ, your beef is with the Indiana General Assembly not the U.S. Congress.

No, but I was having my dad buy me pistols before I was 21 and then I had a LTCH since I was 18 so never had to ink up.

I did ink people up when I sold guns at Galyan's from 87 to 91. Does that count?:D

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    TJ, your beef is with the Indiana General Assembly not the U.S. Congress.

No, but I was having my dad buy me pistols before I was 21 and then I had a LTCH since I was 18 so never had to ink up.

I did ink people up when I sold guns at Galyan's from 87 to 91. Does that count?:D

Were you the one that said while indiana had the background checks for all sales that you only saw 3 people through the whole time you worked there?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Indiana had a UBC for handguns from 1974 to 1998. I worked at Galyan's from 1987 to 1991, part-time (nights and weekends). I remember doing a private transfers a couple of times.

Might have been 3 but I do not remember saying it.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN

Having a pink piece of paper doesn't mean you won't snap and go off the deep end tomorrow... You know they'd want to check it each year and send you in for an annual psych eval just to make sure. And then you'd be at the mercy of your doctor...

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Having a pink piece of paper doesn't mean you won't snap and go off the deep end tomorrow... You know they'd want to check it each year and send you in for an annual psych eval just to make sure. And then you'd be at the mercy of your doctor...

So the current NICS does this? Wait... No... It doesn't.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yep, got dirty fingers several times before I got the little pink permission slip. The State did the finger print check for handguns and you did the yellow single sided 4473 for the Feds. The State would send you a copy of the check, most of the time, for your records.

Top Bottom