• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah, I get it, Bill. However, an Army officer would not need a LTCH if he's on duty. I do not see why they have required training to get a LTCH? Why can't he just make a handgun part of the weaponry that may be issued to an enlisted soldier? If they can only officially carry while on duty (this is an assumption on my part), why do they need a LTCH at all?

As for reelection, Pence probably already has an A-rating from the NRA, so I don't get how this could help him.

My understanding is that the training was required to carry on duty, not to get the LTCH.

As for re-election, we are well aware that the NRA has supported the marginally lesser of two evils and handed out really good ratings to enough really bad politicians to know better than to accept this rating as gold standard. Further, if Pence is willing to look at us and consider a good NRA rating an acceptable reason to refuse to support gun rights beyond maintaining the status quo, WTF good is he to us?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My understanding is that the training was required to carry on duty, not to get the LTCH.

As for re-election, we are well aware that the NRA has supported the marginally lesser of two evils and handed out really good ratings to enough really bad politicians to know better than to accept this rating as gold standard. Further, if Pence is willing to look at us and consider a good NRA rating an acceptable reason to refuse to support gun rights beyond maintaining the status quo, WTF good is he to us?

Right, but I don't get why the LTCH is required for mitary personnel to carry a firearm in the first place?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yeah, I get it, Bill. However, an Army officer would not need a LTCH if he's on duty. I do not see why they have required training to get a LTCH? Why can't he just make a handgun part of the weaponry that may be issued to an enlisted soldier? If they can only officially carry while on duty (this is an assumption on my part), why do they need a LTCH at all?

As for reelection, Pence probably already has an A-rating from the NRA, so I don't get how this could help him.

Per IC 35-47-2-2(6), they would not need the LTCH at all, however, Gov. Pence made the executive order require them to have it and additional training to carry on base. (PErhaps the law, but not their commanders, allowed it before?) They do not require any additional training to obtain the LTCH. It's akin to my profession. I had to pass my class to become an EMT-Basic (many years ago). Once I was certified, I had to have additional training (employer required) to drive an ambulance. Driving an ambulance is not some magical thing that is so different from driving a car or a pickup, but there are some things that it's really helpful to know, like what to expect from all the morons on the road that plod along, 5mph below the speed limit, blocking traffic, and then look up to see the word in their rear view mirror that's conveniently reversed to make it readable for them. (Most will slam their brakes and try to figure out what to do next.)

Legally, I could have just gotten in and driven wherever. My employer (or more likely, the ins. company) wanted more. The parallel is there, if it's such a good idea, why not do it? As an employee, I had no choice other than to stop being their employee. I looked at it differently: It's training that couldn't hurt me to have, that was expensive, and that someone else was paying for me to take. But driving an ambulance is not a right, it is a necessity of my employment.

As I understand it, the soldiers may carry on duty if they have a LTCH and this additional training. They may carry off-duty if they have the LTCH. Pence's order relaxed a restriction of their employer/supervisor. As always, if I'm in error on this, someone please correct the error, and document why it's wrong.

As for what the purpose of this is with an A-rating, I suppose once in a while, they have to do stuff to give something back to the organization. That sounds cynical to type, but quid pro quo, I suppose, applies. It could also be that that's how he chose to balance the order so it didn't result in a media backlash of
    "OMG! GUN GOV. PUTS MORE GUNS IN TEENAGERS' HANDS!!!!!1!!!!!eleven!!!!" headlines.

Hell, I still don't understand why he won't write the darn letter to WV acknowledging that our laws will honor their carry permit, which would open the door for us to lawfully carry there on our LTCH.

Blessings,
    Bill

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I don't like the idea of training requirements because it has the potential to stack more requirements on top of that. Training for all ones different firearms, etc. etc. etc.
    I'm of the type if I know something is good for me and "I" like it, and I know factually training is good for me, I will pursue it on my own.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Per IC 35-47-2-2(6), they would not need the LTCH at all, however, Gov. Pence made the executive order require them to have it and additional training to carry on base.

Sounds similar to the way the military has been about driving in the past (Possibly now, but it hasn't been an issue for me since I have been over 25 for some time now).

Yeah, you can drive a privately owned vehicle (POV) when you're off duty, but in order to register it on base, you have to watch some videos they call a "driver improvement course." It doesn't have any relationship to your civilian driver's license (though you also need one to register your car). Someone somewhere thought it would be a good idea to require it for everyone under 25 years old in the military to reduce vehicle deaths. I don't know whether it worked or not.

Top Bottom