If you are asked to leave, do you have to pay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If they demanded I leave, I would simply leave. As in: stand up, gather up my family, and walk out.

I did not visit the restaurant simply to buy food (that would be the grocery). I was there to have a meal. That includes the food, the service, and time to sit/eat/visit.

If they want payment for what little they delivered, prior to ending our agreement, they can sue me in small claims.

If the wait staff feels screwed, they can take it up with the person that kicked out their paying customer (their manager).

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    And the wait staff has no choice in working for a crappy company?

By the managment excluding customers they have hurt the wait staff already, they have cut their earnings and future earnings.

They agreed with those decisions and company policies by CHOSING to work there.

Geez that's right....I forgot that jobs were growing on trees these days...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My fiancee is a waitress at an Applebee's, and all cash payments and when she makes change comes from her own pocket. Then she settles up with the restaurant at the end of each shift. The one time that someone ran out on their bill, it came out of her pocket... So I will never do that to someone else.

That said, if I was asked to leave, I would demand to take my food with me, and pay my bill.

Then she (or the waitress/waiter) better be prepared for a fight with the manager that kicks me out. Could the employee be monetarily impacted by the policies and actions of the management? Welcome to the real world.

I'd argue it's breech of contract and I'm with El Director on this one.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I am going to disagree a bit. Part of the dining out experience is the ambiance of just going to a restaurant. They are removing that part of the experience.

With that said, I would pay, but I would make it clear that not only would I not be back, but that I would inform other right to carry folks about their policy and warn them away.

Yea, I can see that... I was always a back of house guy, so of course all Im gonna care about is the food. lol

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Yes i would pay for my meal. If i ordered food and ate my food.
    If i ordered and then was asked to leave before i received my meal i would not pay i would just leave.

I would also pay (and tip) if they allowed me to finish my meal...I just wouldn't ever return.

If I had to leave then and there, then **** them. If I wanted a cold/reheated meal I'd have went to the grocery and bought a microwavable dinner.

I won't give my business to places that have "no guns" signs, so if they didn't want me carrying, they should have said so before serving me my food.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    And the wait staff has no choice in working for a crappy company?

By the managment excluding customers they have hurt the wait staff already, they have cut their earnings and future earnings.

They agreed with those decisions and company policies by CHOSING to work there.

You're right. We should punish people trying to make a living because you don't like the policies of their employer.

Management excluding customers may or may not cost them money in the long run (good servers develop loyal customers) but without a doubt, you not leaving a tip is costing them money NOW.

Ridgeman4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Middletown
    there is never a "just take it out to your car" option as that is not safe, IMO.

This is my opinion as well. I carry for a reason and I will not take it to my car. If it goes, I go! The fact is that it is more dangerous to walk through the parking lot unarmed than it is to be sitting inside the restuarant.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    I'd get up and leave. Id tip the searver if the service was good unless they were being jerks. Might even give the server the cost of the entire meal or a nearby kid or something but I woupdnt pay the restraunt a dime. I'd do all this while leaving and if the manager wants me to hang around long enough to pay my bill after asking me to leave then hes nuttier than a fruitcake.
    Thats the problem with businesses and peoples thinking today. Everyone thinks they can searve you crap while treating you like crap. Managers nowadays dont onow the meaning of taking care of costumers. The mentality on here of "treat me like crap and ill still pay you" is whats enabling this kinda bull crap imo. Quit being scared to death of giving gun owners a bad name and rock the noat on occasion, jeeze!

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I think they might call that armed robbery....Just sayin...

....Just sayin'......your view is incorrect.

IC 35-42-5-1
    Robbery
    Sec. 1. A person who knowingly or intentionally takes property from another person or from the presence of another person:
    (1) by using or threatening the use of force on any person; or
    (2) by putting any person in fear;
    commits robbery, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon or results in bodily injury to any person other than a defendant, and a Class A felony if it results in serious bodily injury to any person other than a defendant.
    As added by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.39. Amended by Acts 1982, P.L.204, SEC.34; P.L.186-1984, SEC.1.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You're right. We should punish people trying to make a living because you don't like the policies of their employer.
    If the employee appreciates the policy of their employer (and chooses to work at such an establishment) then they have to be willing to accept the loss of revenue should that policy be enforced.

Every choice made has consequences (OC-ing, kicking someone out for OC-ing, working at a restaurant that kicks people out for OC-ing).

There are two sides to every coin.

robstrosity

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Greenwood
    its a tough call because if you are asked to leave and you hang around to pay and they want you out now then your trespassing but on the other hand dining and dashing is a felony. I would put a cash tip on the table and politely ask the person that asked me to leave if they expected me to pay before i leave.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I believe that the best approach would be give the manager a choice:
    • Leave right now, and you aren't paid.
    • I pay, when I am finished with my dining experience.
    .....and regardless of anything else, I won't be back, and will utilize social media to convey your rudeness.

DMND1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    HELL'S HIGHWAY
    just pay for the meal you ordered tip server . AND TELL EVERYONE NOT TO GO THERE !!!! NO GUNS = NO CASH !!!! the net is a powerful tool use it to close their doors !!!! :patriot:

sheepdogeef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Elkhart
    If you eat the food, why wouldn't you have to pay? If they ask you to leave, they're probably prepared to absorb the cost of that meal to get you out of there.

To the guy who said he wouldn't tip.. Sure, screw the people who rely on tips because surely they're the ones responsible and make all of the decisions regarding policy in restaurants.

I'm with Dragon... It's the management whose kicking you out and THEY ought to have the consequence. The server shouldn't be penalized.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I believe that the best approach would be give the manager a choice:
    • Leave right now, and you aren't paid.
    • I pay, when I am finished with my dining experience.
    .....and regardless of anything else, I won't be back, and will utilize social media to convey your rudeness.

Rudeness?

Ok.

What if you were approached like this:

Excuse me sir/ma'am. I'm the manager of this restaurant. And I see that you're carrying. I applaud you for exercising your 2nd Amendment right. But, the owners of this restaurant restrict carrying guns here. As much as I like seeing others carry, I still have to keep my job to feed my family.
    Would you do me a favor and cover up your gun?

If you were approached that way, what would you do?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Rudeness?

Ok.

What if you were approached like this:

Excuse me sir/ma'am. I'm the manager of this restaurant. And I see that you're carrying. I applaud you for exercising your 2nd Amendment right. But, the owners of this restaurant restrict carrying guns here. As much as I like seeing others carry, I still have to keep my job to feed my family.
    Would you do me a favor and cover up your gun?

If you were approached that way, what would you do?
    Asking me to cover it is vastly different than asking/telling me to remove it from the restaurant. If I was approached like your scenario, I would cover it. He respects my right to carry and I understand his concerns as the manager. Covering it in that scenario would be a reasonable compromise to me. If I am ask to remove it from the building, politely or not, I will leave immediately and not return.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ....Just sayin'......your view is incorrect.

You are correct. However it is called conversion and is still a misdemeanor while armed.....not good..

IC 35-43-4-1
    Definitions
    Sec. 1. (a) As used in this chapter, "exert control over property" means to obtain, take, carry, drive, lead away, conceal, abandon, sell, convey, encumber, or possess property, or to secure, transfer, or extend a right to property.
    (b) Under this chapter, a person's control over property of another person is "unauthorized" if it is exerted:
    (1) without the other person's consent;
    (2) in a manner or to an extent other than that to which the other person has consented;
    (3) by transferring or encumbering other property while failing to disclose a lien, adverse claim, or other legal impediment to the enjoyment of that other property;
    (4) by creating or confirming a false impression in the other person;
    (5) by failing to correct a false impression that the person knows is influencing the other person, if the person stands in a relationship of special trust to the other person;
    (6) by promising performance that the person knows will not be performed;
    (7) by expressing an intention to damage the property or impair the rights of any other person; or
    (8) by transferring or reproducing:
    (A) recorded sounds; or
    (B) a live performance;
    without consent of the owner of the master recording or the live performance, with intent to distribute the reproductions for a profit.

Again Just sayin....If you buy something or order it and recieve it,,Pay for it. It doesn't have anything to do with thier beliefs or policies or yours. Remember from Kinderkarten, Two wrongs don.t make a right. Be the bigger man and pay. Then you can boycott them or get on INGO and *****....

treken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    As mentioned previously, it really depends on the situation. If they box the meal up for you, and are courteous and apologetic, I would not only pay for the meal, but tip as well. However, if they are rude throughout the situation, sometimes you can't leave quick enough!

Top Bottom