If you are attacked, where are you supposed to shoot the perp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    "Shooting to stop the threat" is more politically correct than "shooting to kill". Means the same thing.

No, they do not. Shooting to stop the threat means that once the threat is neutralized, the shooting stops. Death is not always the end result, but can happen. Shooting to kill means that you are ensuring that death is the end result. One is self defense, the other more than likely will land you with a murder or manslaughter charge.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    "Shooting to stop the threat" is more politically correct than "shooting to kill". Means the same thing.

It may used that way by some, but not by me or most of the people with whom I have trained. It means LITERALLY stop the threat. Whether the threat expires is not a consideration at that point. Futhermore, "stopping" may require no shots fired, a shot that misses, or a shot delivers a superficial wound, but causes the attacker to cease hostile actions. Stop the threat means stop the threat.

Rhino, I think the idea for "center of mass" for the body generally means the torso, as opposed to the limbs/head. I believe the idea is that the limbs/head have less mass than the torso. What I think may be the confusing point is "center of gravity" which is lower on the torso than you ideally want to aim at, i.e. the abdomen.

Shots placed anywhere between just below the neck and just below the nipples should be ideal for ending a threat.

Which illustrates why people should stop using the term "center of mass."

I've always been told............and taught others that "center mass" is the center of what ever mass you can see. If the perp is standing behind a steel beam and only sticks out his head, shoulder and arm I am NOT going to still shoot at their "center mass" behind the beam, except for the fact of shooting for center of the mass of the largest area I can see. So to always say center of their body or area full of vital stuff to me isn't always going to be correct!

Again, most of the people don't know what center of mass means. In your description, you could say "geometric center" or just "center" and you'd be fine.

"Center of mass" is the point in a three-dimensional body at which all mass of the could be considered concentrated. In most cases, that is also a balance point if you try to balance an object on a point. For an average human body, center of mass is below the navel. For the torso of an average body, it's still not in the upper/center chest that people are trying to describe.

This would be a lot simpler if people would just say "upper/center chest" or "upper chest, midline of body," or "high center chest" or "about top of the sternum up to the base of the neck."

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    But, but, but, to my video in post #79 - Doesn't shooting a warning-shot into your own leg first really say to the attacker that "you mean business"? I mean, after all, the attacker has to think to himself - if this guy is willing to shoot himself he certainly will not hesitate to shoot me.

Of course I have never tested this theory because I am clearly to ascured to shoot myself.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    ..."Center of mass" is the point in a three-dimensional body at which all mass of the could be considered concentrated. In most cases, that is also a balance point if you try to balance an object on a point. For an average human body, center of mass is below the navel. For the torso of an average body, it's still not in the upper/center chest that people are trying to describe.

This would be a lot simpler if people would just say "upper/center chest" or "upper chest, midline of body," or "high center chest" or "about top of the sternum up to the base of the neck."

I can guarantee that my "Center Of Mass" is considerably lower than my upper chest.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well it's worked fine for me ever since I got my permit to carry a concealed weapon and I've never had any complaints yet from anyone I've shot so I'll stick with it! Purple as needed!

Well okay, then. I will only shoot spheres! It's the symmetry that annoys me.

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think "center of mass" is a way to say "center of the silhouette target you're shooting at" in a way that reminds the student that the target represents a human being.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think "center of mass" is a way to say "center of the silhouette target you're shooting at" in a way that reminds the student that the target represents a human being.

I get that, but the thing is, the phrase "center of mass" actually has a definite meaning and it's not that. Why use a phrase that means something else just because people have been using it incorrectly for years?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Because it ONLY seems to annoy one of us on here! :stickpoke:

Not at all. I agree with Rhino and being that he is a very good firearms trainer and quite willing to explain this point, I'm happy to let him make it in the most accurate/authoritative way possible. Truth is not subject to a vote.

Top Bottom