If you carry a gun, do you carry it when you go to . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I don't carry when I am working at a bar. As a bouncer I am not allowed not because of the law but insurance regulations. When I work the door I watch for guns more than any other feature of a person coming into my bar and I will refuse entry to anyone with a gun no matter who they are. Guns and alcohol do not mix and if you are the designated driver then you have a car that can hold your gun.
    Some people may feel I am in the wrong to infringe on others right to carry. I just want my bar to be safe.

First things first, welcome to the board. Glad you are here.

Guns and alcohol don't mix because you can't find a cocktail glass big enough and if you pour the alcohol on the gun, it just runs off.

There are plenty of people who go to bars and don't drink. To disarm those people actually makes your bar less safe! What is it about being in a bar that makes those folks dangerous? Everywhere else they help out by discouraging criminal activity, but in your bar it is different because________. I can't come up with an explanation.

I don't want you to feel like this is an attack, because its meant to be a discussion. If you have a strong argument to support your decision, I may agree with you. This board has a lot of arguments thrown about, and people have to be able to explain their logic if they want others to understand or agree with them. No harm meant.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    First things first, welcome to the board. Glad you are here...

...people have to be able to explain their logic if they want others to understand or agree with them. No harm meant.

Agreed:yesway:

JPB, would you ask law enforcement officers to disarm before entering?
    On or off duty?

I do not drink but do go to bars occasionally.

JPBrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I understand what you guys are saying. I've been working in bars for about 7 years, off and on. If there was a way I could weed out those individuals who would use there handguns for violence it would be great. The people I deal with in Broad ripple, if they are packing, don't normally have permits. I have seen three people out of ?? hundred who had a reason to carry. One was a off duty cop, the other two just had a LTCH. I did let them in, the cop has a lot to lose if they get in trouble with a gun and the others I figured wouldn't risk losing there permits over somebody spilling a beer on them. I don't know the statistics, but every time you hear about someone getting shot in a bar you never hear about the LTCH that the shooter possessed.

In the last two years, I have seen an incredible increase in the tension around Broad ripple. I was working earlier this year when one of the high school students got shot after a game. Other times I have seen people get beat bloody in the street for no reason or shooting holes in perfectly good buildings. Kids now a days carry guns like they grant respect and magic powers. They don't understand that having a gun is a responsibility, that you have the ability to do end lives and save them. I carry a gun because I take responsibility for my own safety. I work as security at a bar so I assume responsibility for the safety of everyone in it. If I could give one piece of advice, don't go to Broad ripple if you have an ounce of sense. I'm gettin' too old for that crap myself.

JPB, would you ask law enforcement officers to disarm before entering?
    On or off duty?
    I don't think I am allowed to ask a LEO to disarm, on or off duty.
    One last bit, grammar was never a strong point with me.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks for the response, JPB. As you noted the difference between legal and illegal carriers and have even let the legal ones in, it paints a much better picture for you and your establishment.

I used the word ask rather than demand just to see if (hypothetically) you considered LEOs' rights to have arms in the bar above licensed citizens. I have no problem with denying an unlicensed carrier entry (even if I do have a problem with licensing in general.)
    :cheers:

JPBrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It is a trend in the bar business to wand or search people now. A lot of owners are requiring it, some bars are hiring female bouncers to pat down the ladies. I was trying to explain that as "security guards" we have a higher risk of shenanigans than a guard at Walmart. Even if you are not drinking does not give you a pass on getting caught in something bad. Drunks are dangerous with or without gun, that's why prohibition passed into law at one point. Some bars are worst than others but all of them have a higher risk than drinking at home with a friend.
    When I or another bouncer wands or searches at the door, we are not condemning the 2nd amendment. We are doing the best we can with the tools at our disposal. I cannot carry a gun, knife, taser, mace or anything that can be described as a weapon. I only have harsh language and a winning personality.
    I do this job because I am good at it and I want to provide a same place for my friends behind the bar. If a door man asks you to put it in your car, he's thinking about his co-workers safety, not depriving you of your 2nd amendment rights.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    I'm sorry but this line of reasoning is the same that merchants who have
    "no gun" signs suffer from. No one has to worry about their co-workers safety because of me and my firearm. I would leave and never come back just like with any other business. I know that there are people who can't handle alcohol. They can be dangerous even without a gun. Taking mine from me or asking me "leave it in the car" makes no sense. If I am considered to be safe by the state then I think you could trust me in your bar, store, restaurant or whatever. Disarming lawful LTCH holders makes any place less safe for everyone and in my mind it is depriving me of my Second Amendment Right.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have seen three people out of ?? hundred who had a reason to carry. One was a off duty cop, the other two just had a LTCH. I did let them in, the cop has a lot to lose if they get in trouble with a gun and the others I figured wouldn't risk losing there permits over somebody spilling a beer on them.
    What makes those three any different from anyone else? I for one, would like to know which bar you work so I am sure not to visit, since you, as "bouncer", obviously know better than I whether I have "reason" to carry or not. In my many years of experience in and out of bars, I have found that the "bouncer" or "security" persons were many times, more of a threat than the patrons, to general order and security. I know this is a generalization , but many bar security people are meat-headed law-enforcement wanna-be's. I am not stating YOU are that same type, but that has been my experience. So, if you will, let us know which establishment NOT to frequent. If you feel un-safe over a public forum, PM it to me, and you definitely won't have to worry about at least me spending time in your work place.

JPBrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think this got off of the original topic of the tread. I will say that the state requires a person to have a permit to carry a handgun. If you have money to spend on alcohol, you can afford to get one. The only reason a person would carry without a permit is that they are not eligible or they do not care about the law. I an not naive, I know having a permit does not make someone a good person. What it does mean is they respect the law enough to obey it. This is not New York, there is a legal way to carry in this state.
    Myself, I drink about three/four times a year. I never carry a gun if my intent is to consume mass quantities of a mind altering substance.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I think this got off of the original topic of the tread. I will say that the state requires a person to have a permit to carry a handgun. If you have money to spend on alcohol, you can afford to get one. The only reason a person would carry without a permit is that they are not eligible or they do not care about the law. I an not naive, I know having a permit does not make someone a good person. What it does mean is they respect the law enough to obey it. This is not New York, there is a legal way to carry in this state.
    Myself, I drink about three/four times a year. I never carry a gun if my intent is to consume mass quantities of a mind altering substance.

From your clarification, it appears that you only disarm/refuse entry those without a license to carry a handgun? If so, I approve.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I carry all the time. Only exception is when I am sleeping and then it is an arm reach away. When I was in college I worked as bartender/bouncer and always carried. Never asked if I was allowed just did, to me it was a no brainer. Now days the only bar I go to is the VFW or American Legion nobody will disarm you there.

Top Bottom