If you could hunt with any weapon what would you choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

deadeye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Pulaski Co.
    Barrett M82 although i wouldnt call it hunting. It will be more of a waste so id probabbly not shoot anything :)

Last edited:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I would settle for something reasonable... like, say, any of the wide host of rifle cartridges with similar ballistics to the Sabots that are already legal.

Apparently the DNR thinks that allowing the 30-30, 45-70, or 358 win. would be just as bad as mini guns or RPGs. :rolleyes:

Dark Rose said:
    Is there a true do-it all caliber that would cover game from squirrel to whitetail deer size and still have an effective range to say..... 300 yards? I can't think of any off the top of my head...

These days, nearly ANY non-magnum centerfire can be used effectively and efficiently for both large and small game if one is willing to learn the simplicities of hand loading.

Look at the current lineup of products from Barnes bullets.

Barnes offers non expanding solid copper spitzers in almost every diameter. Military calibers like .224 and .308 commonly offer FMJ type bulelts, but historically speaking non-expanding bullets for 24, 25, 26, 27, and 35 calibers have been sparse or non existent. With such a bullet, body shots on smaller game with center fires are perfectly plausible, as little if any energy will be expended in the target - a .223 Rem will do no more damage to a rabbit or squirrel with these bullets than a 22LR - even more powerfull rounds like the 243win or 257 Roberts would leave most of the meat in tact.

Barnes also offers their extremely tough TSX hollow point bullet - in all the same calibers as their spitzers - starting with .224 and working up to plains game pills. These bullets offer reliable, predictable, CONTROLLED expansion with nearly complete weight retention. These bullets will allow even small centerfires like the 223 Remington to punch through the shoulder of a deer, mushroom, puncture both lungs, and still make a respectable exit wound on the other side. customer testimonials for the 45gr, .224" TSX bullet include multiple accounts of "DRT" shoulder shots on Whitetail with a 22-250.

The catch is that they are expensive! but you probably wont need them all the time, so a few will go a long way. If you are stuck with factory ammo, you just don't get any diversity - some cartridges just don't have any suitable big game bullets, and others just don't have any suitable small game bullets.... but if you hand load you can have the best of both worlds (for a price).

With this in mind virtually anything short of a 30-06 or 270 could make a fine small game gun, and previously marginal big game cartridges are far more capable than they were historically. With this data in mind, the middle ground hunting cartridges - 243, 257, 6.5x55, and 30/40 Krag - are even better generalists than before.

Oh, and the weights are identical between both bullet types in the same calibers, so the load data is interchangeable.

Willie said:
    Best all around hunting gun is a shotgun. You can kill all kinds of small game with one and thriow in a slug for any big game.

I respectfully disagree not only for the reasons mentioned above, but because I hate picking shot out of small game. ;)

Last edited:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you're talking about what we have, then my top dog would be my 458 Socom. Next in line would be my Remy 700 30-06.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I would like to hunt, just once, with my dad's deer rifle, for old time's sake. No, I don't want to have to go to a different state to do it.

Aside from that, for hunting I could be happy with a 3-rifle battery, a .22 pistol, a .357 Mag, a .45 Colt, and a 12-GA shotgun...

The three rifles would be a .22LR, a .260 Rem for varmints to deer (or thereabouts, there are lots of fine choices in the .25 to 7mm range), and a .338/.280 for everything else.

Other rifles that would be fun to play with...

.25 WSSM, .257 Roberts+P, 7mm-08, .280 Rem, .284 Win, .358 Win, .350 Rem Mag.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    a buck 110 clinched between my teeth while I sit in a tree ready to pounce on the unsuspecting animal and slit it throat.

I actually have a buddy that snuck up to and slit the throat of a doe while hunting one day. True story, more details than that but true.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Abrams_M1A2_Main_Battle_Tank_US_Army_United_States_004.jpg

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Savage 110 tactical in .308 NATO with a Suppressor and Kahles glass.
    For small game, my Chief AJ 10/22 scout.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Alright, since the ar 15 has been entered, I absolutely must counter with an AK47. Not good for long distance, but let's face it, 7.62x39 will drop anything in Indiana, AND leave enough meat to eat from the bigger critters!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I would have to say my 6mm ackley imp.
    I think it would take down game as large as elk,and it could be loaded lighter for the small stuff.
    I did try it on a rabbit once and that didnt pan out,all I found was an ear and an eyeball.

Top Bottom