• What have you seen in deer numbers where you hunt

• Total voters

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    As a hoosier sportsman I am on board on several hunting forums with hoosiers alike. There is a lot of chatter now about the new regulations once again putting even greater strain on our doe population. The vast majority of hunters that have spoken up on the forums report a steady decline over the past few years in their hunting area. Please share what county you hunt and add to the poll as to what you have seen in deer density over the past 1-3 years.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I hunt Dekalb, Allen, and Noble counties. Overall I have seen a decline in deer on the properties I hunt. A couple or the properties with higher pressure around them I have seen a very sharp decline in deer sightings. I have not really seen any increase in predators on any of the properties though.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    a question to go along with this is , how many coyote or other large predator sightings have you had? I have seen more deer this year, but i am also seeing a huge increase in coyote & dog packs..

kmorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I hunt the northern parts of Hoosier National Forest and have seen a decline over the past few years.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I did a poll back during deer season that you may not have seen. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/180674-deer_population_poll.html

It's looking bad here in Kosciusko from what everyone is telling me and I agree to some degree. Different spots are way down in numbers around the county, others remain the same. I am very opinionated on this matter and vote for declined numbers. There are a lot of variants on this subject thats for sure.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Deer sightings have gone down substantially where I hunt in Monroe County. The property we hunt is 160 acres of 100% private property and is surrounded by 100% private property. We are the only hunters allowed on the property, the land owner does not hunt. Nine years ago we typically saw 8-15 deer per day. That number has steadily declined to 0-4 sightings per day. Nothing has changed in the way of development or encroachment on this or the adjacent properties. The number of hunters have not changed on this or the adjacent property. The only thing that has changed is the number of deer in the area.

Conversely, I see more deer around my house in Morgan Co. than I did 15 years ago. Areas that were once large tracts of woods (and were hunted) have now been developed into 5-10 acre lots and have homes on them. Now that they have homes sitting on them, they are not hunted.

Dirty Steve

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I hunt in Tipton county. I voted that the sightings are down, as MY sightings are down. I really can't say for certain that there are fewer deer vs. the fact that I may just be making mistakes that are limiting my seeing alot of deer. I can't really imagine that the numbers are that far down in my area, but I definitely haven't seen as many over the last year as I normally do. Probably coincidence.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I hunt Morgan and Putnam counties. The farms i get to hunt on seem to have about the same numbers for the past 4-5 yrs.

We have seen more coyotes last few yrs (thats why yote hunts are planned in the future) but the deer pop seems about the same.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I think they are up on my property. The trails are heavily used, and we have camera footage of up to a dozen moving on the trail. But not one was taken off the property this year. They must be Ninja Deer, because I saw 5 while cutting firewood yesterday, right behind my back barn, and not one during season.:scratch:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Overall I think the numbers have been up over the last few years in Madison co. I havent seen quite as many this year as I have the last few, but I think the warmer weather has played a big part in changing their movement patterns so far this winter.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    i see an aimless question..
    are you speaking about this season? or over the past 5 years?
    -----i'll throw my input in. but it doesn't make sence yet..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom