If you had one rifle to choose from what would you pick and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If you had to choose one rifle, which rifle would you choose and why?

• Total voters

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    It’s always nice to see what others value as there end all be all rifle as well as why they fall back on such a weapon. The scenario could be the worst case (god forbid), The power grid is down, government is in shambles and the rule of law went the way of the dinosaur OR you, your family and loved ones have moved to your own island nation... anyway I think you get where i'm going with it.

With that said, you have one option for a rifle to sustain yourself as well as protect your folks and put food on the table. What would that rifle be and why?

I put together a generic list of the most common/popular semi and threw in bolt/lever weapons... of course feel free to list what you prefer :yesway:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    M1A, I don't own one yet, but it is next on my list. I love my AR, but if I could only have one I would definitely want the M1A so I could reach out farther on bigger game, and still have a semi auto platform. Also, the reliability has been proven as it is still in use today.

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I chose lever action because

1. Few moving parts = great reliability.
    2. Good rate of fire if you practice.
    3. The calibers that you can get them in range from plinking purposes to medium and/or long range shooting.
    4. Good hunting weapon but also good for home defense.
    5. Being a lever action, very low to nill on the list of firearms targeted and affected buy gun legislation.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    AR-15. In the situation you describe, you will definitely be wanting the ability to do "battlefield pick ups" of mags, ammo, spare parts etc. The other rifles will all work for what you need, but you will limited to what you have on hand at the beginning of the "situation". With the AR being used by the government forces in this area, that it would you will most likely find around. If I were in mother Russia, then I would take the AK.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    FAL
    Tough, easy to clean, can do far away and close up stuff, reliable, ammo adjustable.
    7.62 NATO - turning cover into concealment.

2nd choice:
    G3/CETME
    Same as above, with the added attraction of legendarily tough, and downside of more cleaning (though it will function without it).

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Many rifles are more suited for one purpose over another, such as for self-defense rather than hunting large game.

My first choice would be a Remington 7615P, a pump patrol rifle in .223 that has ghost ring sights and which takes AR15 mags. The main reason would be because there's high capacity magazines for it and it will reach out to a farther distance.

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm

Other considerations would be the .30 M-1 carbine and the Ruger PC-9 9mm carbine also due to their large capacity magazines. FWIW there's also expanding soft point ammo available for the .30 Carbine.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    FAL. Almost as tough as the AK and can function with little maitenance. Ammo may be heavy and expensive compared to .223, 7.62x39, and 5.45x39, but it can cover long and short range and kill just about anything on the continent.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    My vote was a write-in for a Photon Rifle. Among the advantages over the choices advanced so far:

- Ammo weighs nothing, literally
    - Photons appear to be unaffected by gravity, wind, coriolis forces, etc
    - Quiet operation negates the need for sound reducing add-on devices
    - Nuclear powered
    - Etc

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I am torn between my M1A and my AR but I would reluctantly go with the AR. Parts, ammo availability after the big mess and lighter to carry.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    100   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I chose lever action because

1. Few moving parts = great reliability.
    2. Good rate of fire if you practice.
    3. The calibers that you can get them in range from plinking purposes to medium and/or long range shooting.
    4. Good hunting weapon but also good for home defense.
    5. Being a lever action, very low to nill on the list of firearms targeted and affected buy gun legislation.
    I'm going to nit pick just because i think for without rule of law a lever action wouldn't be the best choice. This isn't directed at you, or to be taken personal in any way.

1. AK/AR-15 both have great reliability and have a limited number of moving parts.
    2. Still one shot per lever manipulation, which is considerably slower then one shot per trigger manipulation.
    3. The AR-15 can be had in many different calibers as well.
    4. The power of an M1A is just as good for hunting or self defense. (actually probably overkill on self defense depending on where how you'd be using it)
    5. In a world without rules or laws it wouldn't matter what gun legislation you lived under.

Basically as great as the lever action design is/was, it is still outdated and severely outclassed by modern rifle designs.

That would be like picking a single action revolver over a 1911 or even a glock.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Wow, that's a tough one. I think the Photon rifle would probably be best, but I doubt I could get my hands on one. FAL and M1A are also excellent choices. I think I would probably have to go with a lever action in 44 mag. Light weight and quick to get on target. Quick follow up shots. Easy to reload the rounds and able to cast my own bullets. Not so good on long range, but good for everything else. Plus same caliber as my revolver I would have on my hip. If you would have said gun instead of rifle, it would be my 870. It can do everything I need it to do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I could only keep one rifle it would probably be my .22. But I assume the OP is asking about centerfire rifles. So probably this one since it is the only centerfire I own.

2013-03-03_19-58-22_148_zpscad85e5d.jpg

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    If I could only keep one rifle it would probably be my .22. But I assume the OP is asking about centerfire rifles. So probably this one since it is the only centerfire I own.

Funny you say that, I had original had a spot for ".22 LR: Ruger 10/22. Marlin Mod. 60 or other 22 platform". I felt there really is no wrong answer just preference for what one would grab... I think I talked myself out of adding it for I figured that not enough folks would fall back on a 22 platform, even though it is a very universal & dependable caliber choice.

Top Bottom