If you had to move to another Indiana town...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Some place around Brown County or similar terrain would make me happy. I've seen a couple of parcels of land that have tempted me over the years but my first wife (and current) is a city girl that feels Greenwood is about as rural as she can go.

87bluejay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Remote North Central Indiana (Pulaski, Fulton, or White County). Lots of critters, room to play, and low population density.

Agreed. Great area....lots to do up there. Grew up in North Judson area. (Starke County)

Bonus...Winamac, Kankakee, Jasper Pulaski State Parks (ranges) within 30-45 min of each other.

95YJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    East Of Indy
    I've spent some time down in Madison...nice place, saw a lot of Turkeys on the ride back, dunno what the Deer population is down there, but if it's decent...count me in!!! Also, if any Bears would migrate north from Tennessee through Kentucky, I would be Close to the border to "Patrol". LOL

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    Grew up in Switzerland county -- right next to Madison, Jefferson county, HIT 3 FREAKEN DEER IN ONE WEEK, In every vehicle I owned , Have not stay up to date but there has been more deer tagged during hunting season than the population of people in Switzerland county.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    LEO's are all pretty much gun friendly here in Bremen, even giving gun safety classes on occasion. The chief told me they would never come after anyones guns as long as he's here. Just don't get caught speeding, that's a different story.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    I thought Cunot might be cool. Off the beaten path and close to some good recreational opportunities, not too far from where I'm at now. Went and looked at some property there to maybe build a cabin or mess around on. After doing a little due diligence I changed my mind. Not saying it's bad having never lived or spent more than a day on the lake or whatever, but the places where I was looking it looked like lots of trespassing and general terrorizing would go on when not present.

Lived in Brown county for a while. I like the village kind of feel of Nashville, but couldn't get over the tourist/flea market atmosphere and seek something a little more 'genuine.' Outside of Nashville proper where you can do your own thing would be a different story. Brown county is still on my list of places I like.

Grew up in Greene county out near Tulip. I would live out there at the drop of a hat if it weren't such a pain to commute back and forth to Bloomington where I work. If you want to live out there and work at Crane or Bloomington, it's doable, but you have to want to make the drive every day.

I really like southern Indiana down around Derby, for example, or other places in the HNF or near the Ohio River.

I guess for me a lot of it boils down to finding work in that ideal little hole in the wall. I'd love to live far from anything so short of finding that magical job that'll get us by, self-employment seems like the direction to head if you can corner a market in the geographic location of choice.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I am 10 miles from a 'city' of 10K pop. on 28 ac with a 1/2 ac lake and my own range. Owensboro, Evansville, and Louisville are an hour away. Indy is 3 hours but I never go there. Ohio River impoundments and 4 HNF lakes are 10 minutes from the house. I can't think of any place I'd rather be.

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    Like many others, I would have to realistically consider a variety of factors such as schools for kids, work, proximity to a major town or city, etc. But I also know the thread was intended to be more open ended than that.

i really enjoyed Madison when I visited there. New Harmony also, which has a somewhat similar feel. Someone mentioned Derby which is an interesting choice also, I think. I would consider that and a few towns along the Ohio. ...On the flip side, I prefer more northern latitudes and consistent winter conditions than what we usually get down here (although the last couple winters have been nice!) and sometimes the flatter terrain isn't so bad. There are a few areas/tiny towns out past West Lafayette I was always fond of, especially out near Fort Ouiatenon.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I am 10 miles from a 'city' of 10K pop. on 28 ac with a 1/2 ac lake and my own range. Owensboro, Evansville, and Louisville are an hour away. Indy is 3 hours but I never go there. Ohio River impoundments and 4 HNF lakes are 10 minutes from the house. I can't think of any place I'd rather be.

Can I build a cabin on the opposite end of your property? That sounds like heaven! Haha.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Well I like where I am, but......IF.....could redo anywhere.....it'd be Brown Co, or Madison area.....Madison...and area...is neat lil' rivertown......:yesway:

GREAT flat view o' the River!......LOT'a stuff go's on 'at town,down 'long the River.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I like where I am, but......IF.....could redo anywhere.....it'd be Brown Co, or Madison area.....Madison...and area...is neat lil' rivertown......:yesway:

GREAT flat view o' the River!......LOT'a stuff go's on 'at town,down 'long the River.....

We used to do the Regatta every year. Great time. Turbine boats kinda ruined the effect.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    We used to do the Regatta every year. Great time. Turbine boats kinda ruined the effect.

:):.......Like them Merlins better?.......:dunno:.....NUTH'n like the sound of'em....fer sure....:yesway:

Kind'a like.....?......diff from a Pan or a Shovel......compared to a Twinkie....:):

DO have some great rodruns , carv shows down'ere too.....:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :):.......Like them Merlins better?.......:dunno:.....NUTH'n like the sound of'em....fer sure....:yesway:

Kind'a like.....?......diff from a Pan or a Shovel......compared to a Twinkie....:):

DO have some great rodruns , carv shows down'ere too.....:yesway:

The Miss Budweiser ran Griffon's. They were bigger than the Merlins. They also had a bank of Nitrous Oxide bottles on it as well. You could always tell when the pilot hit the button as the exhaust ran black for a bit and the boat surged ahead. They started using the N20 when the Allied Van lines boat went turbine power.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    While we like Martinsville, living right in town isn't what we thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's a great little Midwest town. Problem is, if you don't have the correct last name, getting past the "Good Ole' Boy Network" can be tough when owning a small business.

I guess if we had to choose another place in Indiana, it would most likely be somewhere down in the Hoosier Nat'l Forest between I-64 & the Ohio River. Far enough out of town where I could ride a 4-wheeler out to the shooting range behind the house, but close enough to where I could get on I-64 to go to Evansville or Louisville are to take care of clients with my floor restoration business.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    SOUTH.... Besides all of this extra cold and lake-effect snow... I'm too close to Chicago and all of the IL traffic.
    I'd head South of Indy and find some nice country setting.

Top Bottom