If you have old eyes & bifocals can you still see the sight lift?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    When my eyes started to go I had shooting glasses made by my optometrist that have a focal point on the right lens at the front sight distance. It's made a world of difference but it wasn't cheap. But then, nothing about this sport is...

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    When my eyes started to go I had shooting glasses made by my optometrist that have a focal point on the right lens at the front sight distance. It's made a world of difference but it wasn't cheap. But then, nothing about this sport is...

Left eye lens non- bifocal & focal point at 'distance' prescription?

Have toyed with the notion. If would either be better or it would be awe **** there went 500 ish. Right now if I just use non-prescription lenses the right eye does good on the front sight and it seems like just shooting at the center of the fuzzy things is not such a big deal.

If memory serves, Brian Enos had to deliberately make his left eye lens fuzzy to deal with cross dominance, so I'm hoping that if he could deal with the weird vision stuff then there is reason to be optimistic.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I just squint my dominate (left) eye. I'm not going to be in the running for National Champion anytime soon. Both lenses are bifocal, on the bottom like normal. My left lense is for distance and my right lense is set for my front sight.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    This may be a cheaper option than special glasses. I had contact lenses made. My right eye set to focus on the front sight. The left eye for distance. This works great and that is what I use when I shoot iron sights.

I also have progressive lenses in my glasses. While not ideal, I can still manage to focus on the front sight. You have to lean your head back some, though. Not the best option, but they work if needed.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Last time I got new glasses I had a new lens that focused on the front sight put in the old frames. I replaced the dominate eye lens only and didn't do bifocal. The other non-dominate lens was still close enough prescription wise to see ok. I think it cost $75 for the lens.
    Every time I get new glasses the old ones will get a new lens on the dominate side to focus on the front sight.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    This may be a cheaper option than special glasses. I had contact lenses made. My right eye set to focus on the front sight. The left eye for distance. This works great and that is what I use when I shoot iron sights.

I also have progressive lenses in my glasses. While not ideal, I can still manage to focus on the front sight. You have to lean your head back some, though. Not the best option, but they work if needed.

Last time I got new glasses I had a new lens that focused on the front sight put in the old frames. I replaced the dominate eye lens only and didn't do bifocal. The other non-dominate lens was still close enough prescription wise to see ok. I think it cost $75 for the lens.
    Every time I get new glasses the old ones will get a new lens on the dominate side to focus on the front sight.

Playing with new shooting glasses today. Right eye prescription is front sight only, left is distance, no bi-focal on either, $150 in total invested.

Really interesting how the brain seems to want to pick out the best picture, distance seemed aok immediately, front sight focus is not there as immediatly but seems promising.

Anyway, now that you folks are used to things, how long does it take you to adjust between everyday glasses and those that you shoot with?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I switch glasses when I'm on deck to shoot. Or at least I do if I remember. It is obvious when I take a sight picture if I forget to change them and I tell the RO I need to change glasses. I can not see the holes in the target any more with shooting glasses(not supposed to see them anyway but still wish I could check some tight hardcover shots). I switch back to regular glasses after I shoot. I'm usually RO'ing or helping RO and I have left my shooting glasses on as I RO'ed and it isn't to big a deal. I just have to walk a little closer to the targets to make some scoring calls.

Top Bottom