• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    My wife and I just returned from a trip to Gatlinburg and other than the convention center, I only saw one no guns sign in a business. I was very disappointed to see a large no gun sign in the Bennett's BBQ in Pigeon Forge. It was an official sign with all the legal IC codes. I hate that they have done this because I was looking forward to eating there.

I went to their website and wrote to them explaining that they are loosing business. I basically wrote everything that you see in the no guns no cash cards.

So far they have not responded.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I wasn't impressed with Bennett's BBQ anyway, so screw 'em!

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't understand statements like yours. I understand that in this case you are not a fan of the product so it does not affect you. IMO we all need to be offended by any business that restricts our rights regardless of whether we personally patronize the establishment or not.

In fact I think everyone who has ever gone to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge should write the owners and say they saw this post here. Let them know that their decision is costing them business now and in the future. Unless the owner is an ideologue who cares more about ideology than money, this is our best chance to make a difference.

Just my :twocents:.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    We were in the area last summer to visit family and they went on and on about Bennett's; I was not impressed with the food especially for the cost.

On the other hand, they had to drag me kicking and screaming out of smoky mountain knife works.

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Wife and I got married in PF Oct of 1998; liked it enough we went back a year later for our first anniversary. Only downside is I had to go to Gatlinburg for a drink, as Dollytown was dry. Is it still that way?

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Wife and I got married in PF Oct of 1998; liked it enough we went back a year later for our first anniversary. Only downside is I had to go to Gatlinburg for a drink, as Dollytown was dry. Is it still that way?

I'm not sure but I don't think so. They have a moonshine place there now. It is the same as one of the 4 in Gatlinburg and they give free samples so I don't see how it can be dry.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    No, PF isn't dry, I've had drinks in numerous places there, I don't remember it ever being dry, and I've spent a lot of time in that area since the early 70's (back when PF was pretty much a couple of roadside antique shops).

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    No, PF isn't dry, I've had drinks in numerous places there, I don't remember it ever being dry, and I've spent a lot of time in that area since the early 70's (back when PF was pretty much a couple of roadside antique shops).

Sevier County TN is a dry county, prohibiting the sale of liquor of more than 5% alcohol. However, in Gatlinburg city limits (A city within Sevier County), the sale of liquor is permitted. In Pigeon Forge (Again, a city in Sevier County) liquor by the drink, alongside beer and wine sales are permitted.
    Things may have changed since I have been there, but my ex and I used to own a cabin in Hidden Mountain as a rental in the 90's and that's how it was then.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah, apparently it's changed then, there is a Margaritville in PF, which serves a wide variety of mixed drinks. I had heard several years ago of the 5% rule concerning beer, but I don't ever remember a time when you couldn't buy a mixed drink in Gatlinburg, and going back a few years, there was not much at all in PF in the way of dining or drinking. As I said, I don't remember that area ever being "dry" which, to me anyway, means NO LIQUOR SALES.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I looked it up, and it looks like Sevierville got liquor by the drink around 2008, can't find much about Gatlinburg, but I remember going in a bar there in the mid to late 70s. Apparently all Tennessee counties are dry by default, and it's up to the seperate municipalities to allow it or not.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Don't take this the wrong way but I don't understand statements like yours. I understand that in this case you are not a fan of the product so it does not affect you. IMO we all need to be offended by any business that restricts our rights regardless of whether we personally patronize the establishment or not.

In fact I think everyone who has ever gone to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge should write the owners and say they saw this post here. Let them know that their decision is costing them business now and in the future. Unless the owner is an ideologue who cares more about ideology than money, this is our best chance to make a difference.

Just my :twocents:.

Whoa there bro. I'm pointing this out because this is common misrepresentation of the issue (nothing personal). Your "rights" are not being restricted. A private business should be allowed to establish rules as they see fit. The only way your rights would come into play, was if you were forced to patronize the establishment, and then forced to disarm.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Whoa there bro. I'm pointing this out because this is common misrepresentation of the issue (nothing personal). Your "rights" are not being restricted. A private business should be allowed to establish rules as they see fit. The only way your rights would come into play, was if you were forced to patronize the establishment, and then forced to disarm.
    Sheesh, I hate to agree, but THIS^^^^

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh

We're splitting hairs here but I will disagree. I have the right to bear arm and their sign restricts that right in their business. I understand I have the ability to choose to patronize but they are legally restricting my right while on their property.

Maybe a better phrase would have been that we should all be offended by any business that legally restricts our ability to exercise our 2nd amendment rights. I assume your stance is that we have no rights on private property and mine is that we have the right, but they have the right to restrict our right.

Again we are splitting hairs here.

Now having said all of that, I personally do not feel that any public business should have the right to restrict my right. With the few exceptions for public safety such as courts, jails etc, I believe my right to defend my family trumps the right of a public business. To me this is no different than saying we don't accept the premise that a business can refuse service because of race or religion. Some rights trump personal wants IMHO.

I will go as far as to say that I don't think you should be able to be trespassed from a business in Indiana for having a gun. Again, for me, my right to bear arms trumps the wants of a business. Maybe someday our politicians will agree with me.

Someones residence is a different story. You are allowed to be a bigot on your property if you choose and you can decide if you want to allow someone to bring a gun into your home.

Top Bottom