If you use social media, please read this...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I really don't get Twitter. Too old I guess. But you have to realize when you put yourself out there, you shouldn't be surprised when somebody takes notice. I usually try to not write things in public I wouldn't say to your face, I wouldn't want my mother to hear me say, my preacher to read, or my boss to see.

Sometimes I forget though.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yep, when you use social media it's all hanging out there. Never post what you wouldn't tattoo on your forehead!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It strikes me how very different our world is today than it was such a short time ago.

To think one person's comment could even be of interest to so many others, let alone to be some sort of crime against humanity, deserving of the harshest punishment.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It strikes me how very different our world is today than it was such a short time ago.

To think one person's comment could even be of interest to so many others, let alone to be some sort of crime against humanity, deserving of the harshest punishment.

Another issue is people take stuff out of context! That drives me crazy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

It's not really that much different today, it's just that social media has shrunk the world down so someone's comments could strike a nerve on a grander scale.

It used to be that if you said or did something dumb you'd have all the towns folk coming after you. These days the town is just much bigger and the shame can spread farther. The one benefit is that we have a much shorter attention span and collective memory now. Today someone becomes a target for a short time, then the mob moves to someone else. In the past you had to live with it forever because you saw your neighbors every day.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Everything on my bookface profile is a lie except my gender, and I never post anything. I just have it for a couple of the games. M'lady posts stuff, but she's pretty safe with it, trying to build a business (a real one, not mlm) and such, plus keeping contact with family.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Everything on my bookface profile is a lie except my gender, and I never post anything. I just have it for a couple of the games. M'lady posts stuff, but she's pretty safe with it, trying to build a business (a real one, not mlm) and such, plus keeping contact with family.

This. I've got both a faceplant and twit account. Both are as secure and as private as the settings will allow. I have no friends, pictures, information or anything else on the faceplant account. The twit account is locked so that only followers that I have to approve can follow me. I have two followers, my wife and one friend for over 30 years. Their accounts are the same way with only me as a follower. I've made exactly one tweet in over 5 years, only because I had to. That tweet was to Weather Underground with my zip code to get severe weather alerts.

Both my faceplant and twit accounts are only used to get alerts from local sources. Where I'm at our local sheriff and the neighboring county sheriff use them to spread news. They are both very lame at getting news out to us any other way. It's an unorganized pooch screw. The neighboring county doesn't even post the information on Twit, they make a post about whatever on facepalm then send out a link to that on Twit. For this area it's the best way to keep up with weather alerts and warnings. Alerts come faster this way than through Nixle.

Social media can be useful and private if it's done right and you limit your settings, who you talk to and follow.

Top Bottom