if you were building a 6" 1911 what caliber would you chose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Add a comp eh? that would make for one long pistol. I see Infinity team is using a 6" for their limited class gun

But it would be wonderfully loud with a concussion wave that would turn heads for miles. :D

It'd probably make a mess of steel targets that are anything less than AR500 though. I'd love to see what it'd do to a bowling pin. :evilangel:

It'd use the same slide and mags as a 10mm, so you could do both with a barrel swap.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    But it would be wonderfully loud with a concussion wave that would turn heads for miles. :D

It'd probably make a mess of steel targets that are anything less than AR500 though. I'd love to see what it'd do to a bowling pin. :evilangel:

It'd use the same slide and mags as a 10mm, so you could do both with a barrel swap.

9x23 takes a .40 cal breach face? You sure?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Im going to vote 460 Rowland as well. The super fast, evaporate steel rounds are pretty cool, but, like the old gear heads say, there is no replacement for displacement, and a 460 Rowland would displace a lot of whatever it hits with authority.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I like the idea .40 breach face. A lot of options 40, 10, 357sig, 9x25 the 9x25 peaks my interest as something cool to play with not sure I would want to add a comp to it though. Need to order a slide next.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Allen my EDC is a STI 2011 Perfect 10 with a 6" barrel. Carried in a Karmer IWB horse hide holster. If you want to test drive before building let me know. Do rework the factory mags. I have 22 rounds before a reload. All rounds are max loaded Underwood 165 gr XTP's.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Allen my EDC is a STI 2011 Perfect 10 with a 6" barrel. Carried in a Karmer IWB horse hide holster. If you want to test drive before building let me know. Do rework the factory mags. I have 22 rounds before a reload. All rounds are max loaded Underwood 165 gr XTP's.

really EDC?

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thought I would resurrect this thread since I have actually been working on this gun. I went with a 10mm / 40 slide but purchased a .40 barrel first since I will shoot that more and am curious if a 6" limited gun is practical. I thought it would be an interesting experiment.

Frame slide and barrel are all Stainless and with the cuts and internal lightening I have done to the slide it weighs almost identical as a unmodified 5" Caspian steel slide at 12.25 oz. So it is a bit heavy but it is 40 and I can pull more weight off if I want after I shoot it some.
    I am only missing 2 parts and more labor but here is what I have so far. Frame is full dust cover for a 5" gun.
    I did not receive the magwell I thought I had ordered so that is getting swapped out once I get the rest done.

pieces parts

first fit

Flat top and ball cuts

add some serrations

and add some sights

Top Bottom