If you're not tired AR brand debates, give me input....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    After having kicked around the idea of getting an AR for several years, I got swept up in the hype and paranoia a year ago and bought a gun that came along a good price without making sure it was really what I wanted.

Since then I've gotten serious about it (yes, I know... cart before horse, etc. lecture me later) and have spent a fair amount of time shooting, even taking a LEO tactical carbine class.

Here's the issue... the gun I bought was a Bushmaster patrolman. Since buying it, I've read enough and seen enough raised eyebrows among serious shooters (law enforcement/military guys) at the range that I'm questioning the decision. I haven't had serious problems with the Bushie yet, but I'm wondering if they're inevitable.

I think gun owners are a lot like golfers. There are some serious brand loyalist nuts out there, and there are some people who will spend a lot of money just for a name or just because they assume if you spend more that means you got something better. Nevertheless, reputations do build up for a reason, generally (Just as Chesterton said... all generalizations are more or less accurate). So I'm worried about the Bushmaster.

So with that background, here's the question:
    If I sold the Bushmaster at a slight loss and reinvested, what's the best way to spend $1,000 to $1,250? I will eventually spend more than that on a red dot optic, a light/mount and maybe just a couple more add-ons, but for right now, I want to get the best gun for the money that can later be upgraded.

Purpose? Home defense/WORL defense. From my AR, I want tactical reliability at engagements of less than 100 yards. I want to be able to easily, incrementally upgrade it down the line as my budget allows.

I'm leaning Colt 6920. I'm giving consideration to RRA. I'm open to anything and I'm not in a serious rush (this time.)

Thanks to anyone who gives input. I haven't posted much on this site yet, but I've read a lot and I've learned a lot.

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    Thank, Lovemachine! I actually read this thread earlier this week.... all the way through to the end, including that strange turn it took when the New Orleans cop started some odd debate about 9mm rifles. Jwise was very diplomatic with him. One of the brands Jwise really pushed was the CMMG, but I haven't heard much about it elsewhere, and there doesn't appear to be a dealer of that brand here in Indiana. am I wrong on this?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Bravo Company hands down. You can order a lower from G&R and a complete upper from BCM and be at or under your budget. RRA is not a step up from Trashmaster imho.

Bob

Trashmaster DPMS RRA are ok as a hobby gun but I wouldn't bet my life on them. They have had too many QC problems.:n00b:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    OP, you have hit the nail squarely on the head with this.........."I think gun owners are a lot like golfers. There are some serious brand loyalist nuts out there, and there are some people who will spend a lot of money just for a name or just because they assume if you spend more that means you got something better."

I've seen guys on here touting brands I wouldn't have if they were free and badmouthing some of the more well known brands. I'm certainly no expert but my philosophy is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would say that your Bushmaster is a fine rifle. There are probably more Bushies out there than any other AR, and majority see no issues. The occasional Carbon 15 will crack, gets posted on the internet, and voilla; The brand is viewed as crap. I've owned AR's from all of the big players (Bushmaster, Colt, RRA, Stag, etc.....) and you really don't see much of a difference performance wise between any of them. The biggest thing I look for is a chrome lined barrel (preferably 1/7 twist because I like the heavy stuff) and a pinned on fsb. Add an Aimpoint or Eotech, and your good to go. Where you'll see a difference in performance is when you step into a Noveske, Wilson, Larue , etc......, but have your wallet ready. An exception in my opinion would be Spikes Tactical. For a reasonable price, you can get features like a melonite barrel, nickel boron bcg / fcg, etc......

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I would say that your Bushmaster is a fine rifle. There are probably more Bushies out there than any other AR, and majority see no issues. The occasional Carbon 15 will crack, gets posted on the internet, and voilla; The brand is viewed as crap. I've owned AR's from all of the big players (Bushmaster, Colt, RRA, Stag, etc.....) and you really don't see much of a difference performance wise between any of them. The biggest thing I look for is a chrome lined barrel (preferably 1/7 twist because I like the heavy stuff) and a pinned on fsb. Add an Aimpoint or Eotech, and your good to go. Where you'll see a difference in performance is when you step into a Noveske, Wilson, Larue , etc......, but have your wallet ready. An exception in my opinion would be Spikes Tactical. For a reasonable price, you can get features like a melonite barrel, nickel boron bcg / fcg, etc......

:+1:

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Keep your Bushmaster, if it is running and running good, just keep it.
    Buy a spare HPT/MPI tested bolt to drop in when the original takes a crap.
    Also maybe change the buffer out to a heavier H buffer.
    Other than that, just keep running it.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Ill stick with the if it aint broke dont fix it. I bet if we went to the range with your bushie and my AR's(non bushie), they all will go bang and hit their mark including yours. :rockwoot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ill stick with the if it aint broke dont fix it. I bet if we went to the range with your bushie and my AR's(non bushie), they all will go bang and hit their mark including yours. :rockwoot:

I concur.
    It's not exactly what the op is talking about, but I am amazed at the number of people that are under the impression that you "need quality glass" on your AR to reach all the way out to 250 yards!

Who is teaching people this crap?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I too started with a Bushmaster Patrolman. It was a good rifle and didn't fail me. But later on I did want something more reputable. I considered doing what mvician recommended (it's a viable option), but in the end I realized I just wanted something different. So I sold it and built a half Spike's / half Noveske SBR.

There's really no wrong answer here-- just do whatever you feel more comfortable with.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I concur.
    It's not exactly what the op is talking about, but I am amazed at the number of people that are under the impression that you "need quality glass" on your AR to reach all the way out to 250 yards!

Who is teaching people this crap?

I think it depends on ones definition of "quality glass". Most casual users probably don't need a Swarvoski or USO, but they are going to be disappointed with trash from Barska, NC Starr, UTG, etc..... Especially when the gun gets knocked around and it looses zero, fogs up, crosshairs rattle loose, etc.... I would take a set of quality irons over a cheap optic any day of the week.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would come down on the side of the fence that believes there is nothing wrong with your rifle. I really do not care whose name is on the side of it. IF there is something wrong, it can be remedied for far less money than you are going to loose on trading off your old one and buying a new one of some internet fame. I do not care what "expert" assembled it, sometimes something might break. Spending hundreds of dollars because a $6 extractor on the bolt "might break" is not something I would do.

No matter what cult following expert assembled it (out of the same parts pile as everyone else) It will still always be a flat black combat rifle that pukes combustion gas into the trigger group. They are not some mystical rocket science.

Keep it and enjoy shooting it. If you really want to spend some cash put a top grade barrel and the top of the line Geissele trigger in it. And neither of those upgrades will really show as money well spent of you are shooting surplus combat ammo or shooting less than 100 yard tactical style shooting.

Relax, shoot, enjoy, repeat as needed.......

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Are you hitting the bullseye? Satisfied with your groups? Who cares what they say, shut 'em up with performance...

Exactly! I had an experience where some hot shot with the newest trend firearm (not an AR) was talking about how mine was not up to snuff. At the end of his day I had won the match and he didn't even place in the top 50%. I mentioned to him I probably could have beat him by more if I had a decent firearm. That probably was not what a real gentleman would do, but I couldn't resist.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think it depends on ones definition of "quality glass". Most casual users probably don't need a Swarvoski or USO, but they are going to be disappointed with trash from Barska, NC Starr, UTG, etc..... Especially when the gun gets knocked around and it looses zero, fogs up, crosshairs rattle loose, etc.... I would take a set of quality irons over a cheap optic any day of the week.

My point was that most people should not need ANY scope to hit a target at 250 yards or more.
    We had to qualify in boot camp at 500 meters with open sights.
    With practice, I'm sure I could have stretched that out even further.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Do your own research.
    Make your own decisions.
    If you ask a Ford owner which truck to buy he/she'll tell you a Ford.
    And if you ask the owner of any other brand of truck which one to buy he/she'll tell you to get whatever they're driving.
    Brand loyalty doesn't prove anything except that people can be talked into something by slick advertising, hype & BS, or badmouthing the competition.
    For for thirty years I owned a Colt AR.
    Never had a problem with it.
    Then I bought a Bushmaster.
    Never had a problem with it.
    Now I own four different makes.
    Haven't had a problem with any of them.
    It's been my experience that most problems with AR's are "user induced".

Top Bottom