• ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    No. 49A02

"Here, the undisputed evidence shows that on December 3, 2010, Lyles owned an account with Chase with a positive balance. Thus, Lyles had a contractual interest in the Chase premises. There is no evidence that Lyles contractual interest had been terminated at the time of his arrest. As in Woods, while there may have been sufficient evidence to support a conviction for disorderly conduct, the State did not file any such charge. The State has failed to prove an essential element of criminal trespass, namely, that Lyles did not have a contractual interest in the property, and the evidence is insufficient to support Lyles' conviction. See Woods, 703 N.E.2d at 1117."

For some reason, I'm wanting to remember that in previous discussions of this nature about the contractual interest in a place such as a bank because of an account, that there has not been case law available or known to be available to provide precedent in such a matter. Members here have wondered if a bank account was enough to consider a contractual interest in the property thereby negating any trespass for not following a gun buster sign. I may be remembering incorrectly and it may have been agreed upon that having an account could be enough but there may not have been case law to back it up.

I want to thank you singlestacksig for providing such case law. Rep inbound.

However, when discussing your status at a Credit Union and not a Bank (yes, there's a difference), I refer you to my previous post in this thread.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Can we not understand why a bank would not want weapons in the open?
    Are we ignorant of events called, bank robberies? I think we forget the vast majority of people in banks (workers and visitors) are not aware of your rights and your open carry will at least cause anxiety (since they've seen more movies/stories of bank robberies with weapons than some hero saving the day), but more likely at least a few 911 calls. But wait ... we don't give a crap about others' anxiety do we?
    I just don't see how exercising your rights, basically shoving it in someones face, actually benefits you, society and/or gun rights. In fact, I think the few who make a scene are more likely to be a catalyst for more restrictive gun carry laws. If Indiana ever goes to CC only it will be the result of the actions of a few. Are the areas you frequent so dangerous that you can't go in with a concealed backup weapon?? It amazes me sometimes how brave little old ladies are to go into a bank unarmed, while we have to have our high capacity side arms and a tactical knife at the ready.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Out of curiosity, did you approach him in a ticked off manner? Did you demand he explain, etc?

Do you think there is any possibility that approached in a conversational & questioning way that his response would have been any different?

Was he executing his own policy or that of another higher up?

Sometimes there is a great use in making a statement - usually it can only be done once.

Sometimes there is a use in trying to engage someone in a conversation and help them see that their action just isn't all that sensible.

Curious if you could have, or still can, take a second tact with them.

BTW: boycotts, etc only work if you are still in dialogue with the ones you are trying to change...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Can we not understand why a bank would not want weapons in the open?
    Actually, I do have a hard time understanding the why of that. Why not have Patrons that carry regularly. Would that not be a statememt to the more criminally inclined...

Are we ignorant of events called, bank robberies? I think we forget the vast majority of people in banks (workers and visitors) are not aware of your rights and your open carry will at least cause anxiety (since they've seen more movies/stories of bank robberies with weapons than some hero saving the day), but more likely at least a few 911 calls. But wait ... we don't give a crap about others' anxiety do we?
    I just don't see how exercising your rights, basically shoving it in someones face, actually benefits you, society and/or gun rights. In fact, I think the few who make a scene are more likely to be a catalyst for more restrictive gun carry laws.
    It is one of the choices I make on where I do business, not just my banking either. Is the Company Friendly with my Rights and the Rights of Others? Not just the 2nd Amendment either.
    If Indiana ever goes to CC only it will be the result of the actions of a few. Are the areas you frequent so dangerous that you can't go in with a concealed backup weapon?? It amazes me sometimes how brave little old ladies are to go into a bank unarmed, while we have to have our high capacity side arms and a tactical knife at the ready.
    You are correct in your statement that if Indiana ever goes CC only it will be due to the actions of a few. But, I think you and I differ on who to place the blame. You are inclined to place the blame on the actions of those who are carrying in a legal manner allowed by Law. I would place the blame on the few that are to worried about being socially accepted...

It amazes me sometimes how the History of something just escapes from reality...

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Mackey, did you see my pic? The sign says no weapons - like the IC, it doesn't say anything about how you carry, just that the "weapons" themselves are banned. Sure, the sign doesn't hold any weight in reality, and concealed means concealed - I'll also say I'm VERY familiar with Monticello and OC-based "man-with-a-gun" calls just don't happen.

I guess the question I'd have is this - are you willing to do business with a storefront that specifically forbids your firearm, concealed or otherwise?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    For some reason, I'm wanting to remember that in previous discussions of this nature about the contractual interest in a place such as a bank because of an account, that there has not been case law available or known to be available to provide precedent in such a matter. Members here have wondered if a bank account was enough to consider a contractual interest in the property thereby negating any trespass for not following a gun buster sign. I may be remembering incorrectly and it may have been agreed upon that having an account could be enough but there may not have been case law to back it up.

I want to thank you singlestacksig for providing such case law. Rep inbound.

However, when discussing your status at a Credit Union and not a Bank (yes, there's a difference), I refer you to my previous post in this thread.

I would think that ones contractual interest in a credit union is even more that an account holder at a retail bank, since a credit union accout transfers some ownership of the credit union..

Top Bottom