• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    I guess I might as well 'fess up and admit that I don't know the difference between "clips" and "magazines." I'd appreciate someone giving definitions of the two so an IQ-challenged dingbat like myself can understand, once and for all.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Good picture! The basic way to tell the difference is that a clip DOES NOT HAVE A SPRING and a magazine DOES HAVE A SPRING.

And this is why I LOVE INGO! Ask this anywhere else and you would probably be told that you shouldn't own a gun if you don't inherently know the difference.

Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    Good picture! The basic way to tell the difference is that a clip DOES NOT HAVE A SPRING and a magazine DOES HAVE A SPRING.

And this is why I LOVE INGO! Ask this anywhere else and you would probably be told that you shouldn't own a gun if you don't inherently know the difference.

Amen. I appreciate the courteous way in which INGO members provide information to those who want to learn more about firearms. INGO members are the best.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    More good info. So does that mean I can load my mags quickly by using a clip? And does the clip have to be made for my particular gun?

Some clips load detachable magazines.... like stripper clips for an AR, you will need a clip guide to facilitate loading the mag, but yes it makes it quicker and easier in the field.

Some clips load INTERNAL magazines. Like the 1903, mauser, and garand.

Typically yes, the clip must be made for the specific use/gun.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Some clips load detachable magazines.... like stripper clips for an AR, you will need a clip guide to facilitate loading the mag, but yes it makes it quicker and easier in the field.

Some clips load INTERNAL magazines. Like the 1903, mauser, and garand.

Typically yes, the clip must be made for the specific use/gun.

If you simply need something to assist loading a mag, there are generic magloaders as well, but they are neither mags nor clips. I don't want to confuse the issue, though.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    You can read a magazine and learn about clips and you can watch a clip and learn about magazines too.

I watched a clip on youtube that led me to read a magazine that showed difference between a clip and a magazine.I have a pretty good handle on it now,or so my wife says.If she asks for one I know which one to bring now.

Clip
    2yw7lma.jpg

Magazine
    2q1xeg2.jpg

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There is no difference.
    It's just created, so that people can laugh at each other and feel good about it.

Millions of WWII vets called them clips or mags (BAR mags)
    There are army journals from the early days, when they first came out, calling them clips/mags.
    Manufacturers have called them clips/mags.

Seriously, who cares.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    There is no difference.
    It's just created, so that people can laugh at each other and feel good about it.

There are army journals from the early days, when they first came out, calling them clips/mags.

Seriously, who cares.

Using the correct terminology when you are speaking about something is the first indicator that you are indeed knowledgeable about the subject matter.

They are two different words, with two different meanings, and are two different items, that have two different applications. To say they are the same just because its a common mistake made, doesn't make it any less of an error.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Here is what you sound like when you think these terms are "interchangeable" or that the are the "same thing"

[video=youtube;QrCBIFp9834]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrCBIFp9834[/video]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There is no difference.

Seriously, who cares.

Wrong quote. Oops. Though I do kind of agree with you somewhat. When the 1911 came out, the magazines were called clips. I still call them magazines but around my wife I call them mags. If I say something about a magazine, she thinks I am talking about that paper bound thingee you read!:)

Top Bottom