IL carry without license if IN resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    I was on Illinois State Police website and came across a PDF on CCLs. Here is a quote from it:

"Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed
    firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm
    within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. "

If I interpret that correctly, as of RIGHT NOW, Indiana residents, and any other out of state, can carry a loaded firearm on them, concealed, as long as we stay in our vehicle and we can already legally carry in our own state (aka LTCH).
    And if you decide to exit, you must store it locked and out of site according to the section they refer to at the end.

I was unaware of that until now and apparently this took affect back when it passed earlier this year.

Was anyone else aware or have found further information on it?

LINK: http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-faq.cfm

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    There are a few threads about this. Just do a search or look on the Illinois state police website. It pretty easy to find.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    What about motorcycle? The rider is not IN a vehicle.

IMO this will be a gray area until a precedent is established. I have asked LEO's from several different Illinois departments and gotten several different answers. it's all about interpretation at this point. If it were me, it would be locked in a compartment, unless I wanted to be the first one to be arrested and challenge the interpretation.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    What about motorcycle? The rider is not IN a vehicle.

A motorcycle is a means of motorized conveyance and is subject to same laws as any other vehicle. Just my opinion here, but if you carry concealed and have a means of securing the firearm when you dismount (ie: locking saddle bags, trunk etc) you are within the spirit of the law, if not the letter. Illinois is all anti-gun, in fact the attitudes in the central and southern portions of the State are much like ours in Indiana. That said, I don't for a minute, think that I would be comfortable securing a handgun in a saddlebag in Chicago, even it was to walk from the gas pumps inside the store to buy a pop.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    "If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm
    within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. "
    what if you stay with the vehicle as in, exit to pump gas, or exit to change a flat tire... The vehicle is still attended. (I know, it's not the time or place for the debate, but more of a rhetorical question to point out the idiocy of those in charge of writing the bill)

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    Here is a link to a Federal Law pertaining to Interstate Transportation Of Firearms.

Page 24 section 926A

www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    what if you stay with the vehicle as in, exit to pump gas, or exit to change a flat tire... The vehicle is still attended. (I know, it's not the time or place for the debate, but more of a rhetorical question to point out the idiocy of those in charge of writing the bill)

Easy: to be legal in accordance with IL law you leave the firearm in the vehicle in the console or locked container. The point is that if you leave the vehicle the firearm stays in it.

Here is a link to a Federal Law pertaining to Interstate Transportation Of Firearms.

Page 24 section 926A

www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

What does that have to do with IL law? IL transport laws have ALWAYS been better than the FOPA regulations. Just leave it in your console or glovebox to be legal when you exit the vehicle or put it in your saddle bags if you get off your motorcycle.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Notice if you read the law carefully, it does NOT have to be in a locked container inside the vehicle IF the vehicle itself is locked. It says locked vehicle OR locked container within the vehicle. Since everybody (should) lock the car doors when you exit the vehicle, tossing it in the glovebox or console or under the seat would suffice. Extra measures taken on your part for your piece of mind are fine, but just know that the law does NOT require a locked container unless you leave the car doors unlocked.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Easy: to be legal in accordance with IL law you leave the firearm in the vehicle in the console or locked container. The point is that if you leave the vehicle the firearm stays in it.

Technically, IL law says "leave the vehicle UNATTENDED"... are you still attending the vehicle if you put fuel in it leaning on the back fender/door ?

As a point of reference, fuel pumps state that it's unlawful (or dangerous) to leave the pump unattended and note that "you are responsible for any spills".. does this mean if I sit back inside my car because I'm a sissy that I've left the pump unattended or since I'm still within the presence of the pump, I'm "attending" to it ?

(guess I'm beginning a slight debate LMFAO)

TF, I do understand what you're saying, and you're correct.. this is more to show that there are morons drafting these laws.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Technically, IL law says "leave the vehicle UNATTENDED"... are you still attending the vehicle if you put fuel in it leaning on the back fender/door ?

As a point of reference, fuel pumps state that it's unlawful (or dangerous) to leave the pump unattended and note that "you are responsible for any spills".. does this mean if I sit back inside my car because I'm a sissy that I've left the pump unattended or since I'm still within the presence of the pump, I'm "attending" to it ?

(guess I'm beginning a slight debate LMFAO)

TF, I do understand what you're saying, and you're correct.. this is more to show that there are morons drafting these laws.

I don't understand your point of contention, I think this is actually a very well worded law compared to some of Indiana's law on the subject.

Step 1: Present in your vehicle.

-Legal to keep a loaded and concealed firearm on your person or in the vehicle.

Step 2: Not present in vehicle but "attending" it.

-Keep the loaded firearm in the vehicle, preferably concealed in a console or glovebox.

Step 3: Unattended.

-Must be in a locked vehicle or container and unloaded.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I don't understand your point of contention,

Step 3: Unattended.

-Must be in a locked vehicle or container and unloaded.

Please understand my point of contention isn't with you :)

What I'm getting at is the difference between simply exiting the vehicle and the vehicle being unattended.

If I exit my vehicle but am still leaning on it, or digging in my trunk, is it still attended ?

By definition, yes it's still attended even though I'm not sitting in the driver's seat.

Am I required to lock it in the glove box if I have to exit the vehicle and dig in my trunk for something ?

By the definition of the word unattended, I am not required (or am I ) ??

Hopefully this clarifies things.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Please understand my point of contention isn't with you :)

What I'm getting at is the difference between simply exiting the vehicle and the vehicle being unattended.

If I exit my vehicle but am still leaning on it, or digging in my trunk, is it still attended ?

By definition, yes it's still attended even though I'm not sitting in the driver's seat.

Am I required to lock it in the glove box if I have to exit the vehicle and dig in my trunk for something ?

By the definition of the word unattended, I am not required (or am I ) ??

Hopefully this clarifies things.

:dunno:

I understand your point of view on it but I just didn't realize there was confusion over the word "attended."

It just seems obvious to me that if you are to use your example and be pumping gas then if you want to leave it on the seat and unlocked there shouldn't be a problem since you are quite obviously "attending" the vehicle but if you went in to the store to use the bathroom (#2-you might be a while...) then the lawmakers want you to lock it up to prevent people from stealing it.

Personally I would contend that it is safer to remain on my person the whole time I'm in the state but that is an argument for another time lol.

I think technically ANY law that has some sort of gun control or behavior control is inherently poorly worded because it goes against what we believe.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    :dunno:

I understand your point of view on it but I just didn't realize there was confusion over the word "attended."

There isn't any confusion. I'm merely splitting hairs with their choice of words (mostly because I can)

Frosty said:
    It just seems obvious to me that if you are to use your example and be pumping gas then if you want to leave it on the seat and unlocked there shouldn't be a problem since you are quite obviously "attending" the vehicle

What I was getting at, is in your example, the vehicle is attended and it should be able to remain on my person.

Frosty said:
    but if you went in to the store to use the bathroom (#2-you might be a while...) then the lawmakers want you to lock it up to prevent people from stealing it.

Personally I would contend that it is safer to remain on my person the whole time I'm in the state but that is an argument for another time lol.

I think technically ANY law that has some sort of gun control or behavior control is inherently poorly worded because it goes against what we believe.

Agreed on all points, AND, I agree with your previous perception and explanation, I'm splitting hairs just because I can :)

Top Bottom