Illegal alien Halloween costume offensive?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Immigrant activists call out 'Illegal Alien' costumes

Immigrant rights activists are calling on U.S. retailers to stop selling two controversial "Illegal Alien" costumes that have surfaced for Halloween, saying the outfits are a broadside attack on illegal immigrants.

The "Illegal Alien Adult Costume," manufactured by Forum novelties, includes an orange jumpsuit, similar to prison garb, with "Illegal Alien" stamped in black across the chest; a space alien mask; and a fake Green Card. The "Illegal Alien Mask with Hat" also includes a space alien mask, this time with a dark handlebar mustache and a baseball cap.

The Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles said it began receiving e-mails from concerned legal immigrants on Friday. In response, CHIRLA wrote a letter asking several retailers, including Target, Walgreens, and Amazon.com, to stop offering the costume.

As of Saturday afternoon, Target had pulled the products, and some links to the costumes on other sites were no longer functional.

Target said the "Illegal Alien" costume was inadvertently uploaded to its Web site due to a data entry error.

"It is never our intent to offend the consumers with the products we offer," a company statement said.

The makers of the costumes could not be reached for comment on Saturday.

Jorge-Mario Cabrera, the director of communications for CHIRLA, said he initially thought the costume was a stab at harmless satire. But when he saw the Green Card, he realized it was an swipe at illegal immigrants.
    "This was an ignorant attempt to poke fun at a small community," said Cabrera.

Political satire and Halloween often merge. Costumes depicting former well-known political figures are often seen along side those depicting Batman or Wonder Woman.

To some, the attempted humor of the costumes falls flat.
    Guillermo Iglesias said both of his parents were illegal immigrants in the United States. He felt the costumes were offensive because they depicted illegal immigrants as "not one of us."

"I have a lot of illegal immigrant friends," said Iglesias. "If I showed them that costume, it would really hurt them."

Despite the controversy, some stores say the costumes have been a hit.
    "It's a very well-recommended costume," said an employee at Ricky's, a costume store in New York City. The store has sold seven costumes for $39.99 apiece and is set to receive another shipment.

William Gheen, the president of Americans for Legal Immigration, said he intends to buy the costume, and calls the reaction unfounded.

"The only people getting upset are the hyper-sensitive, over-politically correct, pro-amnesty, illegal alien-supporting nuts," said Gheen. "You can't attack people's freedom in this country."

"I think having a costume like that is distasteful," said Andrea Hill, outside of Ricky's. "But if it's not illegal, I think it's alright for them to sell it."

art.alien.ktla.jpg

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Wow, I'm sorry, if you are illegally here, GTFO, if it hurts your feelings that you are illeagal, there are places where you can become legal or where you are already legal.

Being overly politcally correct irritates me, and being politcially correct about people that aren't legally here just makes me angry.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    It has a space alien head... why would the Mexicans be upset. You guys are buying into the government cover up. Obviously this has touched a nerve with our alien government conspiracy overlords.

ROSWELL... ROSWELL...

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I heard you can still purchase these costumes at the Area 51 gift center. ;)

I do like Target's attempt to distance themselves from any controversy involving the costumes. :):

Target said the "Illegal Alien" costume was inadvertently uploaded to its Web site due to a data entry error.

"It is never our intent to offend the consumers with the products we offer," a company statement said.

WTF ever...grow a pair. :bigballs: Their statement should have read... "Hey...we think it's funny...If you don't like it...plant one right here". :moon:

I bet Sheriff Joe Arpaio would see the humor. :):

sheriff%20joe%20arpaio.JPG

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    "I have a lot of illegal immigrant friends," said Iglesias. "If I showed them that costume, it would really hurt them."

Hey let's throw a party for Iglesias and all his illegal buddies!!! I have some friends that have jackets that say "Dept of Homeland Security", and "Immigrations and Naturalization Services". I bet they would come over if we told them it was a costume party. I'm getting so sick of the nauseatingly PC crowd:xmad: It's just their opportunity for their 15 minutes in the spotlight, Kind of like that Heene dude!!!:xmad::n00b:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :faint: If it' **LEGAL** to sell them item (which it is) and there is a demand or the item (which it does appear to be) then the heck with it. Sell it & make money! If it's not a good product the consumer won't buy it. Simple biz 101. All those PC Koo-Aid drinkers why don't you take your illegal friends and go back to their country & see if you can get free healthcare, welfare, education, gov help!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    As of Saturday afternoon, Target had pulled the products, and some links to the costumes on other sites were no longer functional.

Someone got upset so they are not selling an item??WTF. It was uploaded to the web site due to data entry error? Yeah I buy that.:rolleyes:

If their intent is not to offend with the products they sell I can think of some things that offend me.

What about those that find Halloween costumes in general offensive. A lot of people don't participate in the holiday due to religious reasons. Maybe they should pull everything to do with it. Might as well pull all Christmas and Easter merchandise as well.

What a joke.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm going to buy that for my daughter... she will get twice as much trick or treating done in half the time, and I won't have to report any of the incoming candy to her mom. :D

"truco o convite"

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Beau;628394[SIZE=3 said:
    What about those that find Halloween costumes in general offensive. A lot of people don't participate in the holiday due to religious reasons.
    Yep...Sister Mary Katherine used to smack me in the mouth every time I mentioned dressing up as Satan for Halloween. I found that pretty offensive!! ;) She sure packed a mean wallop to be so little. :):

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    I'm glad you included the picture. What is there to be offended by?

From the thread title, I thought the costume was going to include a sombrero, a guitar, and a wool poncho... That might be offensive.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    There's nothing offensive or racially motivated about that costume, not in the slightest. Doesn't have to be either, it's just a special interest group looking for a handout and sympathy.

IMHO, if they're getting worked up over the title of "Illegal Alien/Immigrant", there is a very simple solution to it. If you're in this country illegally, LEAVE!!! Then there'll be no hard feelings. :D

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Immigrant activists call out 'Illegal Alien' costumes

Immigrant rights activists are calling on U.S. retailers to stop selling two controversial "Illegal Alien" costumes that have surfaced for Halloween, saying the outfits are a broadside attack on illegal immigrants.

These people need to learn that just because they are here legally (quite possible that they was here illegal to begin with b4 gaining citizenship) that if their former countryman sneak into OUR country that they don't get jack sheet but 3 hots and a cot before being deported.

If they want rights, go the right way and apply for entry. Heck sometimes I'm all for rounding them all up and putting them on a hard labor chain gang building the next newest thing to last for a thousand years and that would be "The Great Wall of America" located 300 yards inside of sovereign U.S. soil.

Put snipers up every 1600 yards along the 1,470 miles with Barret .50cal sniper rifles and give them orders to shoot to kill once inside that zone and trying to gain entry on the grounds that entering any other way than legal is to be construed as either a terrorist activity or spy.

I know I might get flamed for this attitude, but why should we as a country be burdened with illegals . If Mexico would take care of business in the first place and raise their standard of living this would not be a problem.

Come to our country legal and learn our language, I have no problem, come here illegal and try to force your language on us and suck our resources dry and you're out of here.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Why don't we worry about keeping the people who are legaal america ncitizens happy before we give 2 sh*ts about the ones illegally here. Hey, maybe if we offend them enough they'll get out!

Top Bottom