• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I think there was a similar case that went to SCOTUS and it turned out you do not have to incriminate yourself so criminals with an illegal gun 'legally' do not have to report it stolen.

Ok, that clears that up! But, as usual, we DON'T want to inconvenience criminals in any way. I mean come on, they need to make a (dishonest) living just like the rest of us!!

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It would seem reasonable that a law abiding citizen would want to report a stolen firearm. I know if one of mine were stolen, I'd report it stolen. That's just common sense. It's also common sense that one wouldn't waste time on a law which does nothing. Warm and fuzzy feelings are not a valid reason for a law.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It would seem reasonable that a law abiding citizen would want to report a stolen firearm. I know if one of mine were stolen, I'd report it stolen. That's just common sense. It's also common sense that one wouldn't waste time on a law which does nothing. Warm and fuzzy feelings are not a valid reason for a law.

You are correct.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Watching the recap this morning "feelings" was about the only thing that idiot from the city council could come up with. I really liked his comment about "we are going to pass this and pass it on To the mayor. Let him deal with it." Really? Dumbasses like this really **** me off.

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    Like everything the government nanny state folks do.. and usually the wrong thing for a perceived problem that someone who speaks convincingly dreams up and has claims to have researched. I listened to a story on the radio this morning that was saying research showed that people who could recall the most cuss words in 60 seconds could also recall the most types animals in 60 seconds there for equated it as being a more intelligent speakers... huhhhh I was thinking people who are good at recalling lists are just good at recalling lists, what does it have to do with ones ability as speaker

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This may be besides the point of the fact that it's an illegal ordinance, but I have to ask - within 48 hours of what? 48 hours from the time it was stolen? 48 hours from the time someone first realized it was stolen? What if someone doesn't realize it's missing for hours, or weeks, or even months later? Besides being illegal, it appears rather ambiguous, but I guess that is typical for just about anything written by the government.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I

As hard as some gubmint types will continue to try, they'll NEVER be able to legislate common sense.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This may be besides the point of the fact that it's an illegal ordinance, but I have to ask - within 48 hours of what? 48 hours from the time it was stolen? 48 hours from the time someone first realized it was stolen? What if someone doesn't realize it's missing for hours, or weeks, or even months later? Besides being illegal, it appears rather ambiguous, but I guess that is typical for just about anything written by the government.

Exactly what I was thinking. You are out of town for a long weekend or a seminar. Someone burglarizes your house and one of the things stolen is a gun. You come home three or four days later to find that .... you're a criminal.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's called a knee-jerk reaction from the hysterical types that don't know how to do anything but pass more laws that do absolutely NOTHING to prevent crime.

Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin
    I am appearing on Fox59 tonight to discuss an Indianapolis proposed ordinance - set for a vote in tomorrow evening's City County Council meeting - that would fine any gun owner who fails to report the loss or theft of a gun within 48 hours. I will say that anyone who has a gun lost or stolen should absolutely report it immediately; however, this proposed ordinance is completely misguided and ILLEGAL under Indiana law. Specifically, the proposed ordinance would not only punish the VICTIM of a crime, it directly violates the Indiana Firearms Preemption Act, which prohibits local governments from regulating firearms.

Please tune in - the story should air at 6:30 and again at 10 and 11. And for Indy residents, please call your City County Council member and tell him or her how you feel about this proposed ordinance.

(317) 327-4241

Once again we are punishing the innocent instead of the criminal. The solution is stiffen the punishment for the criminal if this is problem!. Gosh... it sure seems like they look for for more and more ways to harass gun owners every time they get a chance.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The 15 that voted for it should be brought up on charges for gross stupidity. Oh, wait, THAT isn't illegal...yet. Maybe just give them fresh bananas and sent to the zoo to hang out with the other primates--see how they get along in there. Or would that insult the hairy nonhumans too much??

Top Bottom