• ...and so much more!
  • Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Ok, so I stopped by Ace West Pawn Shop here in Bloomington this morning, killing some time before work...laying in the case is/was a Winchester 67 Rifle that has been cut down to a pistol grip and had the barrel shortened to 12" as well as having been nickled. I think about whether or not to say anything but feel I should so, I tell the guy working there that its an illegal weapon unless he has NFA Paperwork on it. He, gruffly says that two or 3 other people have told him this as well but he has read the law and believes that since its a pistol NOW , its legal. I informed him this is not the case and that since it started life as a rifle and has been cut down well below 16" its a federal offense to own/posses it without proper paperwork...he basically tells me I dont know what Im talking about(like the others apparently).....and does nothing.

So, Im reinforcing my own knowledge here but it is illegal, correct???

Last edited:

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I am pretty sure that is what the law states. I am no lawyer, but neither is he. I am sure the ATF could clear it up for him.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Would that be just a pistol and be covered like a shotgun with a pistol grip?
    I think someone on here said the ATF calls the Ranch Hand a pistol, but is that because it never had a stock on it.

1911 nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Nothwest In.
    Rifles must have a 16 in. barrel and overall length of 26.5 in. if you cut one down it must have a tax stamp as it is considered a Short Barreled Rifle under NFA'34

Top Bottom