• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well this is how civil disobedience works. Good luck to them as far as fighting the ordinance goes. How can feeding hungry people ever be a bad thing?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's better for people to starve than t o take the chance of getting food poisoning. Just like it's better to starve than get deer meat that might have lead in it from a food pantry. Just like it's better to starve than eating genetically modified grain.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's better for people to starve than t o take the chance of getting food poisoning. Just like it's better to starve than get deer meat that might have lead in it from a food pantry. Just like it's better to starve than eating genetically modified grain.

It's what restaurants do.They lock their garbage so that homeless people cant get the tons of food they throw away each day becausefore they are scared of being sued for food poisoning.

Sad.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Feed them and they will come. Maybe Orlando is worried that the nation's homeless/jobless will converge on their fine city.

I am intimately aware of Lake Eola Park. It used to be a showcase for the city. Now, it's a place I wouldn't send my worst enemy to. Ever since they started feeding homeless people, it has become their "unofficial" hangout. You can't go there without being harassed about "helping out" a Vietnam "vet" who looks amazingly young for his years, needles on the ground, and bums on the playgrounds. And don't think about leaving something person unattended, 'cause you won't have it. OPD keeps a regular presence there, but it a park, it's not like they can sneak up on anybody.

This isn't a new issue, this has been a point of contention for years. People in the area complained about all the break-ins and other "interesting" activities that they say started when people started feeding the homeless. The city put up "zones" to allow this stuff to take place, but no dice, they wanted Lake Eola. So the city asked that they get permits... again, no dice. I've seen so many homeless people out there one time, I literally thought they were having a "dress like a bum day."

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Lol......Just hearing the word permit pisses me off......It seems like you need a permit to do anything these days.

Soon we will have to have a permit to take a walk in the park.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What?, and push all the asylum seeking Cubans out? ;)

That should have been done years ago. I almost got into a fistfight in college because I said that "lil" Elian Gozalez should be sent back to his surviving parent. Needless to say, after that, I never entertained having a Cuban girlfriend.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    ^^^^^^

Roflcopter.gif

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well, the protests and feedings are still ongoing, but the best thing that's come out about it is this interview with a "police supporter" at one of the events. This is a great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pJuedzzLXE&feature=player_embedded

Without really having an opinion on this particular matter, I did have a comment on the video. It's really interesting to me how people (here on INGO too) have such an intense distrust for law enforcement but can turn around and say that police should be able to decide which laws to enforce based on their own moral compass. Or, do we expect the police to just ignore the laws each individual here is against? Accomodating the personal opinions of 300+ million people in the U.S. would be quite a task for an officer. As far as this thread goes, I don't know the reasoning behind the Orlando law. Kutnupe seems to suggest that there have been a lot of issues regarding the homeless in this area and this is an effort to give the park back to the families to enjoy. Or it could be about an evil government trying to control people. If it's the former, then maybe the officers are using their discretion and inner moral compass to decide how they enforce the law. May I ask, besides kutnupe, how many of you have personal knowledge of this park and the issues surrounding it?

Top Bottom