illegal to force you to work on sundays?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    if the unions start hiring again, i will go im an electrician and have at least 7 years in the trade. I have kicked the idea around with a few at work but they wont go for it. Company said once before that it will fire anyone who brings up the idea.

From what I have heard people in the trades are better off Union..... I know some Unions are pretty much crooks but not all. I am sure the Union would help quite a bit. UPS's Union went out of their way to help me more then once.

You might have to tuff it out till the Union starts hiring?

It does not suprise me that they would fire anyone mentioning a Union.... they know they will loose a lot of money if a Union is brought in or started.

I for one understand that a a buisness is thre to make money...... but know that the employee is the one that makes the buisness what is is and a happy worker is a productive worker and a productive worker makes you money.

Maybe you could start working for youself some doing side work and at some point be self employed????????

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    ^^^This.

IANAL There is no legal recourse for you in this situation unless you have some form of prior written contract that is being violated. Indiana labor law allows employers to require mandatory overtime with no notice whatsoever. They can literally come to you at the end of an 8 hour shift and require you to stay another 8 hours or be terminated.

been there and been told that more than i can remember. Indiana really does need to update some of its workers rights.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have looked into that but i am not ready to deal with the government and pay taxes out the nose.

It's not as bad as you think as long as you know the tax laws or have a good (not shady) accountant that does and have you company set up right (s-corp, inc, ect ect).

Last edited:

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    It's not as bas as you think as long as you know the tax laws or have a good (not shady) accountant that does and have you company set up right (s-corp, inc, ect ect).

the work is coming back slowly, but it isn't enough to keep me going for 40+hrs a week. It also doesn't pay well when you try to be honest about it and claim it as extra income.Plus i think some of the laws are just plain ridiculous. Alot of people are still out of work and the competition is high.If you want to count the side work i did for a long time i have closer to 10 yrs experience.But i doubt i can count that because it isn't verifiable.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    What the hell will that solve? The OP can't make a decision, so you pay someone to make it for you?
    He asked a question about the Sabath and work place? What can he do? My answer summed it up in Indiana! He can go to the Union if he belongs, or get one going, other than that he is out of luck under Indiana labor laws! O.k?

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    been there and been told that more than i can remember. Indiana really does need to update some of its workers rights.

I have looked into that but i am not ready to deal with the government and pay taxes out the nose.

I certainly empathize with your position and I don't want to flame you here but I need to point something out. The 2 quotes above are in conflict with one another. You say Indiana needs more workers rights, then you say you don't want to deal with the government or pay more taxes. The government is the only entity that could be dealt with to change worker rights absent a separate contract between workers and employers (i.e. unions). Also, if the government were to do this, I guarantee it would cost us more in taxes. I realize that the taxes you refer to in the second quote were in relation to owning your own business, but taxes are taxes wherever they come from. You do have rights as an employee. You have the right to accept the conditions your employer offers, or not. As for me. Those are the only employee rights I really want. Anything else results in loss of freedom on both sides of the equation.

:twocents::ingo:

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As an employer, I try to take into consideration the wants of my employees. This time I year I work seven days, and so do many of my employees. I called in a crew for 9:30 in the morning, I am starting at 7. I ask each one of them if the wanted to work, or if they wanted to attend church. It was their option.

It is a tough road, sounds like the employer is this case it trying to keep up with increased demand, without hiring additional help. It could be this is an short term spike in extra work.

It's your right to choose to go to work, and your employers right to demand you to come to work. You have to decide which in more important.

I have a follow up question. I work when I have to, despite the day of the week. I have been around a few people that refuse to work Sundays, but want to be able to go out to eat after church, get gas, groceries, and so on. I have always found this somewhat confusing. If you believe no work on Sunday's, should you not feel the same way for others as well?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a follow up question. I work when I have to, despite the day of the week. I have been around a few people that refuse to work Sundays, but want to be able to go out to eat after church, get gas, groceries, and so on. I have always found this somewhat confusing. If you believe no work on Sunday's, should you not feel the same way for others as well?

I think it is because many think they should not have to work on the sabath issue even though the sabath is on Saturday... but in the bible times you could get stoned for doing something as simple as picking up a few ticks in the road on the sabath.

I personally have no problem with working on Sunday's before. between. or after church. If people worked for me and choose to work during typical church services time then I have no problem with that. I am very religous but as of now don't feel that I should not allow people to work certian time os the day on Sunday's and Wed's because I think they should be religous or more religious and go to church.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Ive been doing 50,60, 70 and 80hr work weeks for the last 3.5 years. they told me after i started here that the overtime was mandatory or i would be terminated, not prior . i was told that i might be asked to work a saturday every now and then, thats all and i agreed to that much. I didnt choose money /job over religion. I didnt have a choice.

You have a choice, _everyone_ has a choice.

You choice is simple now: Quit to go to church, or continue working. You have claimed two issues, but it sounds like your real issue is that of working Sundays. I have no idea how much you are making, but if is anything in the low to mid teens per hour, and you have been working 50, 60, 70, and 80 hour weeks, you have got to have some kind of money saved. If you don't, you either aren't spending your money wisely, or you have a van full of kids.

All I can say is that you can be required to work Sundays. You can be required to work over-time, so long as the company reimburses you at a pay rate of time and a half. My only advice, if you are making anything near a decent hourly wage, would be to start banking every dime you can, so you can eventually quit and get another job. If you can't get another job without moving, and you refuse to move, then I would highly suggest not quitting that job. The "I didn't have a choice." talk is non-sense.

Everyone has a choice: Have a job that pays for things, or live on the government dole.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Yeah, we need an increase in litigation against employers in the State... that will really draw more work to the State.:rolleyes:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Well, I've read enough and have the impression that you are a good employee who is getting the shaft. I'm sure in your profession you can find another job with better benefits and treatment. I think it's time to start looking.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    I am a fairly religious person and want to attend church on sundays. My church only has a service on sunday mornings. My employer is trying to force us to work 7 days a week 12 hours a day right now. This has been going on for quite a while now and im really tired of it.Im exhausted mentally and physically to the point im about ready to walk away. I would like to keep my job and stay at the same church i go to. Is there a law or any recourse for forcing me to work on the day i am suppose to honor the sabath?I dont think one day is asking alot.

Within Indiana, the only obligations under state law that an employer has to it's employees (save child labor and workplace contractual stipulations), is a safe workplace relevant to occupational environment, and timely compensation.

Lunches, breaks, vacation, days off, etc........non existent under Indiana law.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Showing up at all is optional. If you want to do some "Civil Disobedience" then just call in sick every Sunday. Depending on your employer and how much they want you. You will either be looking for a new job after a couple weeks, or they will make a consetion to work around your requirement of Sunday off. My mom does the same thing, she wont work Sundays unless there is a special reason. Folks don't show up, then she will come in on grounds of "Ox in a ditch" for that one day. She's had some trouble with employers on that. So if they've let you have Sundays off for 3.5 years and are just now asking/telling you to work them consider yourself lucky.

As for this "Union" talk. I can say that I firmly believe a self respecting person should avoid them. Not saying that none are good, but just best to not get involved. At a former job somebody approached me about forming a union and my response was "You don't ever want to talk to me about that ever again, there is little I hold in contempt as deeply as a Union, or those who would seek to create them." That union to my knowledge has never been created (Not because of me, though I'd feel warm and fuzzy inside if it was because of me). Again, if Unions work for you, then so be it. But they are not for me, and I feel that now adays they only serve usefull in very rare circumstances (I can't think of any, but I consider this statement as keeping an open mind). Any thing parasitic that seeks to destroy/plunder it's host is asking for trouble in the long run. So unless you can find a symbiotic Union, stay away.

As mentioned before, please DON'T write your legislators and seek to have a new law created. We need to get rid of so many as it is, and we'd just need to get rid of that one too, so it would be a real PITA.

Just my :twocents:.

9lock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Classified
    I am a fairly religious person and want to attend church on sundays. My church only has a service on sunday mornings. My employer is trying to force us to work 7 days a week 12 hours a day right now. This has been going on for quite a while now and im really tired of it.Im exhausted mentally and physically to the point im about ready to walk away. I would like to keep my job and stay at the same church i go to. Is there a law or any recourse for forcing me to work on the day i am suppose to honor the sabath?I dont think one day is asking alot.
    Well I think we will see Alot more of this in the future along with lower wages now that we are crushing the unions and the corporate world view of "you don't want to do your job?" we will find someone who will.
    I think you need to stop thinking about yourself and worry MORE about the poor CEO and the Stockholders.;)

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Have you talked to the business owner about your problem?

If your a great employee he will let you off. If your not he wants you to quit.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    I certainly empathize with your position and I don't want to flame you here but I need to point something out. The 2 quotes above are in conflict with one another. You say Indiana needs more workers rights, then you say you don't want to deal with the government or pay more taxes. The government is the only entity that could be dealt with to change worker rights absent a separate contract between workers and employers (i.e. unions). Also, if the government were to do this, I guarantee it would cost us more in taxes. I realize that the taxes you refer to in the second quote were in relation to owning your own business, but taxes are taxes wherever they come from. You do have rights as an employee. You have the right to accept the conditions your employer offers, or not. As for me. Those are the only employee rights I really want. Anything else results in loss of freedom on both sides of the equation.

:twocents::ingo:

Not really. one is dealing with the state government and one is dealing with the federal(irs) Its the irs that i dont like or want. I think they need to go.

Top Bottom