• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Sorry to beat a dead horse(I know it's been covered before), but we're taking jaunt to St. Louis in a few weeks. I'd like to take a handgun, but I don't want to violate any laws in Illinois or Missouri. I was thinking I'd disassemble it so I'd just be "transporting" it.

What are the parameters?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You should read the INGO FAQ. There's a section that covers the Peaceable Journey statutes. The FAQ is linked in my sig.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I've read before that as long as you don't stop (or do anything stupid if you stop) in Illinois, you are able to transport a handgun to your destination. I'm not a lawyer though, so it might be in your best interest to contact the Illinois state police/highway patrol and talk to someone about it, or the Indiana state police firearms division.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    The gun is to be unloaded and locked in the glove box and the ammo stored away in the truck. Keep your speed somewhat in check and all will be ok.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Unloaded & inaccessible while travelling through IL. Once you reach MO, load up & enjoy relative freedom again. Same thing coming back. Lat time I went through IL I unloaded my G23, took the upper off the frame, put everything in a bag & put it under my seat. It was unloaded, disassembled & relatively inaccessible, but could be reassembled & loaded in a few seconds, if needed.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Note that some states (including IL) consider a loaded mag to be the same as a loaded gun, so make sure your mags are unloaded, too!

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Note that some states (including IL) consider a loaded mag to be the same as a loaded gun, so make sure your mags are unloaded, too!

While I know this is true in CA, I don't believe it is in IL (@ least most of IL, excluding the Chicago area). Otherwise, people wouldn't be able to legally "fanny pack carry" (unloaded gun, loaded mag in same 'case'). Of course, in order to do this, as stated in IL law, one must have a FOID, which one must be an IL resident to obtain.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    While I know this is true in CA, I don't believe it is in IL (@ least most of IL, excluding the Chicago area). Otherwise, people wouldn't be able to legally "fanny pack carry" (unloaded gun, loaded mag in same 'case'). Of course, in order to do this, as stated in IL law, one must have a FOID, which one must be an IL resident to obtain.

Right. We're talking about transiting Illinois under the Peaceable Journey statute, where you are otherwise not able to legally carry (because you have no FOID card).

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Right. We're talking about transiting Illinois under the Peaceable Journey statute, where you are otherwise not able to legally carry (because you have no FOID card).

I understand, that's why I posted my experience (above) regarding my transporting from IN-MO & MO-IN, through IL. I had a loaded mag in the same bag as the disassembled gun, under my (drivers) seat. I was informed that I was legal, as the gun was unloaded, disassembled & not readily accessible (loaded mag & all). I was just pointing out that I don't believe that it matters in IL if a magazine is loaded, it matters if the magazine is loaded AND in the gun.

I know that CA supposedly treats a loaded mag as a loaded gun (even if you have ONLY the magazine in your possession). Uncertain of any other state that does the same.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I understand, that's why I posted my experience (above) regarding my transporting from IN-MO & MO-IN, through IL. I had a loaded mag in the same bag as the disassembled gun, under my (drivers) seat. I was informed that I was legal, as the gun was unloaded, disassembled & not readily accessible (loaded mag & all). I was just pointing out that I don't believe that it matters in IL if a magazine is loaded, it matters if the magazine is loaded AND in the gun.

I know that CA supposedly treats a loaded mag as a loaded gun (even if you have ONLY the magazine in your possession). Uncertain of any other state that does the same.

I could certainly be wrong regarding IL. Still, I'd rather have the OP err on the side of caution.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I could certainly be wrong regarding IL. Still, I'd rather have the OP err on the side of caution.

Yeah, me too! Since it's a felony to carry a gun in IL contrary to their law, I would seriously suggest that they contact the IL State Police or IL AG for guidance on this. It's a whole lot more defensible to bring something in writing from the ISP or AG, that to say, "well, I was told I could do this or that from somebody on the internet". There is a lot of good info exchanged here (& elsewere online), but like Reagan said, "Trust, but verify"!:patriot:

Birddogs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    I suppose cce1302's method would work just fine, if you wanted to turn a 3 hour trip into a 13+ hour trip. Can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Anyone got a good route for NWI to NW Iowa, without setting foot in the forbidden zone?? jk Nick

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Much thanks for your responses. Looks like there'll be no such thing as a quick draw response to threats in Illinois. I'll just have to hope I have a minute or two to get my things together so I can protect my family.

(Still, it's better to have pieces of a weapon you can assemble than to leave it at home.)

Again, thank you for your time.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?
    There is more than one way to legally transport a firearm. However, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, it is recommended all firearms be transported:
    1. Unloaded,
    2. Enclosed in a case and,
    3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
    If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?
    Non-residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
    What constitutes a legal "case" for transporting a firearm?
    The Criminal Code refers to "a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container." However, the Wildlife Code is more specific, defining case as "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed."

Is it legal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?
    Yes, so long as the firearm is unloaded and properly enclosed in a case.

Source: Illinois State Police

Regards,

Jim

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Is your caution regarding protecting your life or avoiding breaking a law?

Buckaroo

The gun community claims to be among the most law abiding. Either you are or you aren't. You can't choose to abide by only the laws you agree with and still claim to be "law abiding".

:rolleyes:

Top Bottom