• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Anyone have any knowledge of whether Illinois offers a concealed carry license to non-residents and if anyone in the Indy area is doing classes? I'm not having much luck finding good info online.

Thanks!

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    But, it also states that you have to take 16 hour IL course and qualify with an ISP certified instructor. Seems to me if you have to take the training that IL residents take, why would it matter what your home state does?

Probably all part of making it as difficult as possible for citizens to exercise their rights. :(

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Need some more info on this.

It is called container carry. This is still a "grey area" there is case law, a guys sued and won when he was caught at work. The problem is he was an IL resident with FOID card. If you get busted you will not have a FOID or be an Illinois resident. Can you still claim you were transporting? You might, or might not be arrested.

Link below: Container Transport aka Container Carry - Illinois Right to Carry - IllinoisCarry.com

Also,

C0untZer0 @ illinoiscarry.com said:
    There are 2 opinions that declare the console a "case"

People v. Holmes, Ill. Supreme Court, Docket # 109130, Opinion filed 4/7/11. The defendant owner/driver of a motor vehicle, an Indiana resident who had been issued a carry license by his home state, was stopped by Chicago police officers for a traffic violation. Pursuant to a search, a 9 mm handgun was recovered from a backseat armrest of the car. The Court noted that “[t]he armrest separated the two back seats and contained a storage compartment that closed with a latch. The compartment could be folded up into the seat or left in a down position.

Illinois State Supreme Court found for the defendant in this case.

The Illinois Supreme Court ruled on 10/8/2009 (Docket # 106367 People v Diggins) that the Center Console of a vehicle was a case and a firearm could be carried in the closed Center Console.

http://www.illinoisc...&num=37&print=1

Last edited:

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    While I dig the guy's reasoning, I'm not gonna risk carrying outside of our vehicle until I get a more reliable "good to go".

I e-mailed the ISP with this specific question and am waiting on a reply...

TCLe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    West Lafayette
    It is called container carry. This is still a "grey area" there is case law, a guys sued and won when he was caught at work. The problem is he was an IL resident with FOID card. If you get busted you will not have a FOID or be an Illinois resident. Can you still claim you were transporting? You might, or might not be arrested.

I had been told that you may use your state's carry permit in Illinois as a FOID card, though I can't seem to find any laws actually stating as such.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Here is my question to, and subsequent reply from, the ISP.

TOPIC - QUESTION
    Other Inquiry -
    I am a resident of Indiana. I have a LTCH (License to Carry a Hangun)
    issued to me by the Indiana State Police. Is it legal for a non-resident such as myself,
    who exempted from the FOID requirement due to my non-resident status, to
    carry a non-loaded hangun in a case or container in Illinois?

In order to comply with the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the
    Firearm Owner?s Identification Act, when transporting a firearm, it must
    be:
    1. broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    2. not immediately accessible; or
    3. unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping
    box, or other container.

The Illinois State Police is prohibited from offering Legal advice.

Respectfully,
    Illinois State Police
    Firearms Services Bureau
    Concealed Carry Unit

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Here is my question to, and subsequent reply from, the ISP.

TOPIC - QUESTION
    Other Inquiry -
    I am a resident of Indiana. I have a LTCH (License to Carry a Hangun)
    issued to me by the Indiana State Police. Is it legal for a non-resident such as myself,
    who exempted from the FOID requirement due to my non-resident status, to
    carry a non-loaded hangun in a case or container in Illinois?

In order to comply with the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the
    Firearm Owner?s Identification Act, when transporting a firearm, it must
    be:
    1. broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    2. not immediately accessible; or
    3. unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping
    box, or other container.

The Illinois State Police is prohibited from offering Legal advice.

Respectfully,
    Illinois State Police
    Firearms Services Bureau
    Concealed Carry Unit

So, condition butterscotch would be good to go.

SparkyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    Valpo
    You know what's screwed up is that I had an IL CC license but it becomes null and void once you swap your drivers license. Took all the classes and qualified but now that I moved I guess all that training is forgotten. Glad I moved to a gun friendly state.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    You know what's screwed up is that I had an IL CC license but it becomes null and void once you swap your drivers license. Took all the classes and qualified but now that I moved I guess all that training is forgotten. Glad I moved to a gun friendly state.

Don't feel too bad. Me and my wife are in the same boat. Training is not the issue. The problem is the Illinois State Police and their interpretation of "substantially similar" and" mental health reporting." as it was written into the law. Since Indiana's does not subscribe to mental health reporting they will not add Indiana to the list. Hawaii does...and so they are on the list.

There is a lawsuit that has been filed. http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52501

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Don't feel too bad. Me and my wife are in the same boat. Training is not the issue. The problem is the Illinois State Police and their interpretation of "substantially similar" and" mental health reporting." as it was written into the law. Since Indiana's does not subscribe to mental health reporting they will not add Indiana to the list. Hawaii does...and so they are on the list.

There is a lawsuit that has been filed. Culp vs Madigan - Lawsuit Filed On Behalf of Non-Residents - Judicial Second Amendment Case Discussion - IllinoisCarry.com

Hawaii. What a joke. I'm sure the Hawaiians are lined up around the block (all 3 of them with LTCHs) to take advantage of this amazing offer.

Top Bottom