• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I know there is no legal way for me to go to his range to shoot with him, but can you guys think of a way he could join me for a day at a range here? It would make for a fun time if we could find a way.Maybe we just need to go to the Supercross instead?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know there is no legal way for me to go to his range to shoot with him, but can you guys think of a way he could join me for a day at a range here? It would make for a fun time if we could find a way.Maybe we just need to go to the Supercross instead?

Sure. You guys drive to range, you both shoot, you go home. This is Indiana, not Illinois. He doesn't need a FOID to touch a handgun in Indiana. What he CAN'T do is transport your firearms for you without a license, but since he'll either be in his own car or in your car with you (while you are presumably licensed), you're fine.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

Do you have a range here? Do you have guns? Then take him!

If not, then take him to a range with rentals.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Just curious as to why you can't go shoot with him there?

-J-

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The peoples republic of Ill. says I cannot have a firearm in their state. My friend can own one, keep it in his house, and transport it to the range, if secured in a case and ammo secured separately. I cannot do that, except in passing thru the state. I think the gray area with him coming here, happens at the range, when he "posseses" a handgun without a license. I know it's kind of a technicality, but I was hoping there was a way to avoid this issue altogether.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just because you cannot "have" a firearm in Illinois doesn't mean that you can't go to the range and use a firearm belonging to someone else...

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I guess I don't understand enough about the Ill. side of things. It was my impression that under their FOID system, the use of your gun at the range was exclusive to you. In other words, I thought that since I didn't have a FOID for any gun from Ill.,(and can't get one,not being a resident)I couldn't use a gun anywhere in Ill.,eliminating the possibility of using or borrowing a gun from my friend. Correct me if I am wrong here.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    No you can take a gun into ILL as long as you transport it in the same condition as any other ILL resident would & you are legally eligible to possess a gun in your home state. A FOID card for non-residents is not required.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Look at page two the left column, last entry.

This is Correct. I went and shot with some friends in Illinois and took my .22. It had the bolt locked back, in the case and it and my ammo were not within easy reach.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I recently attended an Indiana gunlaw course in which I specifically asked if there was any way I could transport my pistol to my friends house and go to the range for a day of shooting. Our Instructor said he couldn't think of how it could be done completely legally. I failed to ask if it could be done the other way around. (My friend coming to IN. and shooting at one of our ranges.)He also said he was not an expert on IL. gun law.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Indiana recognizes all other state permits and states that don't have them, as in all 49 other. Since your friend has a FOID, then he can bring anything his FOID covers and be perfectly legal.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Indiana recognizes all other state permits and states that don't have them, as in all 49 other. Since your friend has a FOID, then he can bring anything his FOID covers and be perfectly legal.

No.

A FOID is NOT a permit to carry a handgun & is NOT ACCEPTED as such by IN. If he is caught transporting a handgun in IN with only a FOID he will be arrested.

If a state doesn't issue a permit (i.e. ILL, WI, VT - I think) then those people can't transport a handgun here unless they get a non-resident permit from another state.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    He can get a non-resident permit from any state that issues them, such as PA. Very inexpensive, no training requirement, and speedy turnaround. He would apply through "Center Co", IIRC.

Good luck and good shooting!

Blessings,
    Bill

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nd_amendment/58056-ic_37-45-2-1_poll_3_a.html

Apparently there is room for disagreement on this issue.

Notice that the ONE cop and the ONE judge/prosecutor that voted in the poll answered "YES" that the friend is "carrying without a license" in the sense of the law.

I did not vote in the poll, but the handgun laws in Indiana are very poorly worded and IMO don't provide ANY protection/defense against a rogue prosecutor or a cop having a bad day.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    He can get a non-resident permit from any state that issues them, such as PA. Very inexpensive, no training requirement, and speedy turnaround. He would apply through "Center Co", IIRC.

Good luck and good shooting!

Blessings,
    Bill

+1

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

this is what federal law states on transportion. i hope this help?
    i believe your friend can come to indiana. has long as his place of origin and place of destination will how hand guns. now if your were going to leave indiana and go to chicago. then that would be a no no. because of destination will not allow handguns. so i do believe your friend will be ok to travel to this state but on the other hand you will not. i hope this helps?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    That's just it... he cannot "lawfully posses and carry" a handgun in Indiana (except at his dwelling - he doesn't live there, or property - he doesn't own the land, or place of business - he doesn't work there) without a license. IOW the federal law has not much substance to it.

Top Bottom