• ...and so much more!
  • triggerhammer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2023
    Michigan City
    The attached file, applicable to Indiana (and other states) handgun carry licensees, offers guidance on lawful carry/transportation of handguns in ILLINOIS. The text has been extracted from the relevant sections of the Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Act (latest revision), which is the governing statute.

Chicago and Illinois have maximum 15-round magazine capacity limitations. However certain home rule units (including Cook County and several Chicago suburbs) have 10-round mag capacity restrictions. Bear in mind that such laws pertain specifically to magazine capacity, rather than the number of cartridges within the magazine (e.g., having 15 rounds in a 17-round mag would technically be illegal). The mag capacity restrictions are legally enforceable, though very few persons have been arrested or prosecuted for violations. Nevertheless, I recommend compliance with any such restrictions and especially in Cook County.

It's important to understand that Illinois basically limits transport/carry rights to a) those with Indiana carry licenses, and b) within the vehicle or on private property with owner’s consent.

You might also want to read the Illinois law pertaining to use of force in defense of person (a far more complex matter):
    https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K7-1

Since many INGO members might be travelling to/thru Illinois for the holiday season, I thought this information could be helpful. Keeping a copy of the file(s) in your vehicle would probably be prudent.

Attachments

• IL transport-carry for out of state licensees.pdf
      230.8 KB · Views: 36

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Title 18 US CODE trumps IL law

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such trans- porting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such trans- porting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    But, you can't have the gun on you and then use the transport law

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    But, you can't have the gun on you and then use the transport law
    True, it has to be unloaded and not accessible from the passenger compartment. The earlier post made it sound like you could not even travel through parts of IL with a firearm that does not meet IL laws. Just wanted to clarify that if you were traveling through you could have a ‘non-compliant’ firearm (as long as you follow the “rules”).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    True, it has to be unloaded and not accessible from the passenger compartment. The earlier post made it sound like you could not even travel through parts of IL with a firearm that does not meet IL laws. Just wanted to clarify that if you were traveling through you could have a ‘non-compliant’ firearm (as long as you follow the “rules”).
    :yesway:

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Easy solution.
    Avoid Illinois
    Not much of a solution if one has to work in or has family in Illinois. Driving from the northern part of Indiana down to Kentucky and then north and west to Iowa and points west needlessly extends the journey.
    If you obey traffic laws, it is highly unlikely that you will be stopped in Illinois. Be sure you have a full tank of gas before crossing Illinois.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    This is from USCCA.

Yes, anyone with an Illinois CCL may keep or carry a loaded or unloaded concealed firearm on or about his or her person. Non-residents may transport a loaded concealed handgun in a vehicle if they are in possession of a valid CCW permit from their home state. Non-residents from states that allow for either concealed and/or open carry without a license are not required to produce a license provided they are;

• Not prohibited under federal law; and
    • They are eligible to carry in their home state.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

So, if I am reading this correctly, when traveling from Hamilton County to visit a friend in Kansas City; I have to:
    1. Stop before the Illinois state line.
    2. Remove my cc firearm.
    3. Unload my cc firearm.
    4. Place said firearm, magazines, and ammunition in the trunk.
    5. Drive across the state (playing nicely with other drivers...so I don't get shot by those criminals who don't follow the laws)
    6. Stop after the Missouri state line.
    7. Remove said firearm from my trunk.
    8. Load and make ready (re-holster my cc).
    9. And be on my way...
    10. Lather, rinse, & repeat on the way home.
    smh

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    So, if I am reading this correctly, when traveling from Hamilton County to visit a friend in Kansas City; I have to:
    1. Stop before the Illinois state line.
    2. Remove my cc firearm.
    3. Unload my cc firearm.
    4. Place said firearm, magazines, and ammunition in the trunk.
    5. Drive across the state (playing nicely with other drivers...so I don't get shot by those criminals who don't follow the laws)
    6. Stop after the Missouri state line.
    7. Remove said firearm from my trunk.
    8. Load and make ready (re-holster my cc).
    9. And be on my way...
    10. Lather, rinse, & repeat on the way home.
    smh
    Not if you have an IN permit. Look at the post above yours.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I know that others have posted similar information. Here are quotes from the actual laws and links to the state sites.
    From the Illinois Concealed Carry Act:
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.)

From the Illinois Protect Illinois Communities Act regulating "assault" weapons.
    (2) No person may acquire or possess firearm ammunition
    within this State without having in his or her possession a
    Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his
    or her name by the Illinois State Police under the provisions
    HB5471 Enrolled LRB102 24372 BMS 33606 b
    Public Act 102-1116
    of this Act.
    (b) The provisions of this Section regarding the
    possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and
    tasers do not apply to:
    . . .
    (10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or
    registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Take I-69 south to I-24 west.. (there are still a couple gaps in I-69, but they mostly short)
    Once in Missouri.. head the direction you need.

Profit from not going to ILL.
    View attachment 316841
    Where does one pickup I-69 in Hammond, Michigan City, or Angola?
    Some seem to forget that there is more to the state than just Indianapolis.

• Haha
    Reactions: KLB
    Top Bottom