• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    So often I hear about Illinois folks moving here and voting for Dems. I guess it must happen but when my wife and I moved here, Indiana picked up two hard core GOP voters. We certainly can't be the only ones.

On Illinois gas taxes, I thought those taxes went into the general fund. Could be wrong. I filled up in St. John the other day for $3.17/gal. Drove to Kankakee, IL and a BP was posting $2.99/gal.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Illinois should beat their citizenry to death with taxes while squandering the money in machine corruption. The hard working people will move elsewhere and when the state starts looking like Venezuela, it can serve as an example

Sis and brother in law showed up for last summer's family reunion all kinds of pissed off. Apparently their income tax had gone up 30% on July 1st.

*Originally Posted by*Leadeye*

Illinois should beat their citizenry to death with taxes while squandering the money in machine corruption. The hard working people will move elsewhere and when the state starts looking like Venezuela, it can serve as an example.

God no. They may move here and vote for the same garbage they have in their home state.

They call 'em FISH. Effing Illinois shart heads. They move to a nice quiet part of northwest Indiana and then complain about the rifle range down the road.

Sorta makes you wonder if that's what Michiganders call South Bend transplants, though.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wait. What? Nationalize production of oil? So state owned means of production? Seriously, are you a Bernie Bro?

Nah, I just have a few issues with some industries being in the private sector. They're so deeply embedded with government, we end up without the benefits of either option, and only the negatives. If you think it's currently working as capitalism intends, you're sorely mistaken.

Strategic resources and production. Such as oil production and military contractors.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nah, I just have a few issues with some industries being in the private sector. They're so deeply embedded with government, we end up without the benefits of either option, and only the negatives. If you think it's currently working as capitalism intends, you're sorely mistaken.

Strategic resources and production. Such as oil production and military contractors.

Big oil being deeply embedded with government is cronyism, not capitalism. The solution is not socializing oil. The solution for that looks a lot more like less government, not more.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    KY house bill hb 517 proposes the same idea of taxation here in Ky. It was co sponsered by our local county rep. I plan on seeing that he is soundly defeated in the next election cycle. In the mean time the bill will come back next year when it will only take a simple majority to pass it.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I haven't read any of the supplied articles about this. But in all actuality, electric vehicles currently do not support repairs to roadways. As their numbers increase, this should be taken into account. Will this tax be used properly and put with the gas tax money? Why of course they would do the responsible thing.

drbob93

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    South Central Indiana
    It is worse than your think and happening on both coasts for 30 years.

That’s what Californians did to Colorado.

New Mexico, Arizona, Oregon, Washington State going as far inland as states like Idaho, where some people still ride into town on a horse wearing a sidearm.

Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia. I did a post-doc in Durham, NC back in 1998 and the Mayor was trying very hard to close down the gun club, at which I was briefly range officer.

In all states, I think that electric car makers and owners should pay a carbon tax, because the bulk of affordable electricity is produced by coal fired plants which they hate, even though their idea that all things natural are good for you. I am cutting myself off as I tend to ramble. Never get me started telling sea stories.;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Mexico, Arizona, Oregon, Washington State going as far inland as states like Idaho, where some people still ride into town on a horse wearing a sidearm.

Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia. I did a post-doc in Durham, NC back in 1998 and the Mayor was trying very hard to close down the gun club, at which I was briefly range officer.

In all states, I think that electric car makers and owners should pay a carbon tax, because the bulk of affordable electricity is produced by coal fired plants which they hate, even though their idea that all things natural are good for you. I am cutting myself off as I tend to ramble. Never get me started telling sea stories.;)

Nothing wrong with riding into town with a Colt on the hip and a Winchester in the scabbard.;)

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana

You may want to update your figures on coal fired generation. According to a site “Sources for Electricity Generation in the United States - 2016” - 30.4% coal, 33.8% natural gas, 19.7% nuclear, 6.5% wind, biomass, hydro and other comprise the rest. There is a continuing decline in coal fired generation in the US, a lot of it due to the Obama administration’s policies. Many of the coal fired generators are actually combined cycle - meaning they also can and do burn natural gas. If the Greens really wanted clean energy they wouldn’t be so against nuclear power. The last two nuclear plants in the US were completed in 1990 and 1986. In the current political environment with the support of the Sierra Club and others, there is virtually no chance a nuclear plant could get approved and built - especially on time and in budget.

The current cost of producing energy is relatively low due to the current natural gas price(s). Wind, solar, biomass, and hydro have absolutely no chance of being able to produce electricity to replace coal and natural gas. There’s not enough real estate where it’s windy enough all the time, not enough hydro, not enough biomass. Nuclear could replace a majority but won’t ever be given the chance.

The second part of the equation is the lack of repair to the existing grid and construction of new transmission grids. Even if you make enough electricity it’s of no use if it can’t be delivered where needed. The money to be made now is acquiring the transmission rights.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom