• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Driving to Texas tomorrow with two friends for a week of wild boar slaying, unfortunately have to drive through IL. I emailed IL state police and asked how we can transport our firearms/ammunition as to be in accordance with their laws, but apparently they decided it was insignificant and failed to respond to said email. So, how can I transport my firearms through IL without any trouble? We will have both long guns and handguns, those of us bringing handguns have valid IN LTCH's, as well as ammunition. Vehicle is an extended cab pickup with toolbox in the bed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm not an expert, but I'd say first off, give them no reason to pull you over and then have to search your vehicle(s). Secondly, un load them, lock your unloaded guns in a container where you are not readily accessible to them, and keep your ammo in a separate place away from your guns. Don't leave them in sight in your vehicle while parked at a gas station, etc. Better yet, don't stop in IL if you don't have to!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Driving to Texas tomorrow with two friends for a week of wild boar slaying, unfortunately have to drive through IL. I emailed IL state police and asked how we can transport our firearms/ammunition as to be in accordance with their laws, but apparently they decided it was insignificant and failed to respond to said email. So, how can I transport my firearms through IL without any trouble? We will have both long guns and handguns, those of us bringing handguns have valid IN LTCH's, as well as ammunition. Vehicle is an extended cab pickup with toolbox in the bed.
    The only way you can legally transport thru Ill is by having your weapons unloaded, cased and stored in a not-easily accessable place in your vehicle with ammunition stored away from the weapon. Federal law allows this in all states.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Illinois supreme court ruled you can have firearms in your vehicle in the following:

Docket No. 109130.
    IN THE
    S U P R EM E C O U R T
    OF
    THE STATE OF ILLINOIS
    THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, Appellee, v. LEONARD HOLMES, JR., Appellant.Opinion filed April 7, 2011.

For the complete document, Google is your friend! :D

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Illinois supreme court ruled you can have firearms in your vehicle in the following:

Docket No. 109130.
    IN THE
    S U P R EM E C O U R T
    OF
    THE STATE OF ILLINOIS
    THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, Appellee, v. LEONARD HOLMES, JR., Appellant.Opinion filed April 7, 2011.

For the complete document, Google is your friend! :D

Here is a link to the above cited case. You might want to read it carefully before you take your gun into Illinois:

http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf

Here is a link to the Illinois State Police Website with instructions on how to transport your weapons in Illinois. I would suggest printing off the instructions and having them with you:

Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    we dont plan on stopping and will drive close to the speed limit the whole time. if we are pulled over there would be no reason to search the vehicle unless the officer were to find out we had firearms in the vehicle (not sure if that is probable cause for a search in IL)

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    As of now our plan is to have the guns locked in the toolbox, ammo in .50 cal cans in the bed... not sure what to do with carry guns though?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    As of now our plan is to have the guns locked in the toolbox, ammo in .50 cal cans in the bed... not sure what to do with carry guns though?

For what it is worth I have to go over there once a week or so. When I go, I unload my gun and put the magazines in the glove box and lock it. Then I take the slide off the pistol and lock the slide and the receiver in my car gun vault. It stays that way until I am back across the state line because it isn't worth the risk to me.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Since you will be transporting firearms from one place where you may legally possess and transport the firearm to another, you are covered by USC TITLE 18, PART I, CHAPTER 44, § 926A, often called the Federal Firearms Transportation Statute (FFTS).

In short, the FFTS states that your firearms must be unloaded and stored in a separate compartment not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers, and ammunition must be kept separate from the location of the firearms and must also not be readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.
    Source: United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

The safest bet for you, legally, would probably be to transport your firearms in that manner for the entirety of the trip. If you choose to do otherwise, you should verify the laws in the other states through which you must travel to verify you are allowed to carry while in a car on your Indiana LTCH and whether it may need to be uncovered (à la the "Buckeye Tuck") and so forth.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Just make sure that all of the firearms are unloaded and in a locked, latched or other closed container where it's not readily accessible. You will be fine.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    The only way you can legally transport thru Ill is by having your weapons unloaded, cased and stored in a not-easily accessable place in your vehicle with ammunition stored away from the weapon. Federal law allows this in all states.
    as long as you are allowed to posses a firearm in the state your are traveling to.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    While IL has some crappy gun laws, it's not the Gestapo scenario that everyone portrays here.

The laws are quite clear and not that hard to abide by. Up until 7/1, they were actually more permissive with handgun transportation and use than IN.

Here's the skinny:

The gun must be unloaded, enclosed in a case and not readily accessible. The ammo can be with the gun, even loaded into mags, but mags not in the gun. That's it, that's all there is to it. No need to tape ammo to your front bumper and put the gun in the trunk.

The Illinois Supreme Court has ruled that:
    1) Your center console counts as a case.
    2) The LTCH qualifies as a FOID for purposes of IL law.

However, I'm not sure how many LEO's know about this, and I wouldn't want to have that argument on the side of the road, so carry according to their law.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    One thing I will add; do NOT volounteer any information about having firearms in the vehicle and if asked do not consent to a search. If a cop askes then he does not have probable cause and refusing a search is not probable cause. Drive safe, Jim.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    One point not yet mentioned in re: giving them a reason to stop you.... Have you checked the vehicle you'll be in for stickers? NRA, DTOM, or any pro-gun "funnies" might be enough to draw the attention of Officer Unfriendly.

In other words, now that they've defecated upon the 2A as much as they can, theyve decided to go after the 1A, too.

You've gotten good advice. Hopefully, mine will add to it. Have a safe and fun trip, and we need a report on your return.

Blessings,
    Bill

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The console was the result of the Diggins case a few years back. Prior, IIRC the law said the case or container must be designed to carry a weapon. The court ruled (after diggins had done time) that the console is a case that meets the requirements of teh Illinois wildlife code. IANAL, as a former Illannoy residene, I carried the gun and mag, unloaded, in a zipped gun case in the console. I have only been stopped a few times by the IL state police, in each case I was ticketed, no discussion.

Top Bottom