Wow, What is that?

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, What is that?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As big as the numbers look they will have to steal from themselves or get a federal bailout or both. I remember the NYC bankruptcy back in the 70s, it got a lot more press. Big media doesn't want to discuss this one.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    The way I understand it cities can declare bankruptcy but states can not. Republicans in Illinois are just a different shade of blue.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    50 years ago I lived in Gresham, in Chicago. Unbelievable whats happening there now. I follow a Chicago Police Blog to keep up on what's going on Father Pfleger's part of town. He's a radical priest who's parish is the Gresham neighborhood. I wonder if this excerpt from that blog holds water.

vnHgWdN.jpg

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    When I was growing up in upstate NY, NYC used to want to be the 51st state and we used to do whatever we could to encourage them. It took a spin right across the edge of the drain (hours away from bankruptcy 1975) to remind them that they "cared" about the rest of the state

Cut Chicago loose and let it implode

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    That sort of echoes my thought on the subject. If the city states really think they're so big and independent, let them prove it. Make new states out of them and let them carry their own weight without burdening the "country bumpkins" around them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've since realized that we don't want that many new democratic senators gumming up the works

Better strategy is like siegecraft; legislatively wall in their ability to tax to affect only their own environs, limit federal assistance, and let them learn to live within their means. A good place to start might be municipal income taxes

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What if we made them protectorates like Guam and Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico was already well along the road to ruin even before Maria. It may arguably have been farther gone than Chiraq

ETA: Public sources list Puerto Rico debt per capita of $15637, while Chicago's is only $12400. Clearly making them protectorates does not cure the worst excesses

Top Bottom