• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I really like the knife itself. Good looking lines, nice grinds and the tapers look very good. I do agree with you on the Micarta though. I think its something with the way the material is showing up or something. But as I said, the blade looks great.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the knife or the micarta scales. If I had to pick something I would have done differently, I would suggest silver colored pins for the green scales instead of the brass. Maybe to many different colors going on. Polished blade, orange liners, green scales, and brass pins. I think the silver pins would completely change the look of the green micarta.

But again I think it's beautiful as is. Just trying to help you put a finger on what looks off about it to you. Hope this helps.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    You can't stain it. This stuff is impregnated with a resin material.

The micarta or your liner?

The micarta will stain, I've done it a few times with great results. You can use Rit dye or leather dye, I've used Fiebing's medium brown leather dye on a set of frag grips that turned out great.

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    The micarta looks like you say a little yellow, and to me looks hazy. Seems to me like it's out of your hands. Blade looks great, craftsmanship and assembly great. Just the micarta isn't what you were after. Is there anything you can apply to the micarta to knock that hazy look off? It to me looks like a result of the resin and the sanding interacting. Maybe wet sanding? Hell I dunno :)

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    The micarta or your liner?

The micarta will stain, I've done it a few times with great results. You can use Rit dye or leather dye, I've used Fiebing's medium brown leather dye on a set of frag grips that turned out great.

:yesway: Agreed.

As for the knife, I think it's great. I love the uncommon qualities Micarta often takes on when you polish it up with a super high grit. I went up to 800 then buffed with compound on my first knife. It was homemade blue jean laminate (forgot to take pictures and post them, I finished it for my mother as a Christmas present).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Looks great to me. I love a contrasting spacer color with micarta. I've got a green micarta / red spacer Bark River Bravo that looks very similiar. Maybe force a patine, and make some kydex pants for it to sit in. I like pretty knives, but hard use / practical always works better for me.

I am the cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Put a kydex sheath with it and somebody will pay a good buck for it. Looks like a good blade. Still interested in how you may or may not temper these stainless blades.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Two suggestions for the next knife. First the handle length should balance to the eye with the blade length. In this case, the handle grip is longer than the blade and the angle at the butt makes it appear long. I'm sure it fits the hand well, but it's a balance issue.

Second, the front angle of the scales could more closely match the grind cut angle. From the photo it looks like the bottom scale edge is closer to the grind cut than the top. It could just be the foto.

Overall, it's a good, solid looking knife. Congrats!

Top Bottom