• ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Saw this video from BuzzFeed.

[video=youtube;5bWHSpmXEJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs[/video]

"I'm Christian, but I'm not homophobic."
    "I'm Christian, but I'm not ignorant."
    "I'm Christian, but I'm not unaccepting."
    "I'm Christian, but I don't place myself on a pedestal."

"I'm Christian, but I am accepting."
    "I'm Christian, but I am queer."
    "I'm Christian, but I am gay."
    "I'm Christian, but I am a feminist."
    "I'm Christian, but I am a feminist."
    "I'm Christian, but I am definitely a feminist."

Matt Walsh pretty well nails it in his blog. I don't even know where to begin with this. I guess the most glaring ridiculousness is the very beginning where they attempt denigrate the majority of Christians then claim to not put themselves on a pedestal. "I'm a Christian, but I'm not a judgmental jerk like those OTHER Christians! I'm so much better than that! I'd never put MY self on a pedestal!" I have no idea the mental gymnastics one must perform to miss the hypocrisy that is apparent here.

Then at the end, they all get a chance to share something about Christianity with the world. Of course there is no mention of Christ. He certainly has no role in this video.

Overall I give this a 10/10 on trendy looking hipsters and 0/10 on logic.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Paraphrased from Mike Huckabee.

"I'm Christian, but I'm not angry about it."

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I certainly expect nothing more from BuzzFeed. But I am finding this type of thinking to be more prevalent in today's churches and among so-called Christians, and I thought this video did a good job of illustrating just how ridiculous it is.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I certainly expect nothing more from BuzzFeed. But I am finding this type of thinking to be more prevalent in today's churches and among so-called Christians, and I thought this video did a good job of illustrating just how ridiculous it is.

I meant to get this to you yesterday steve in that other thread about churches.....It kind of went with what you were talking about...Wife and I are still looking for a church as well and I have a hard time with Mega Churches and the more modern service....My brother knows I struggle with that and he sent me this link to a parody that I thought I would share with you...

Rick

[video=youtube;3RJBd8zE48A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RJBd8zE48A[/video]

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's great to be loving, accepting, appreciating science (I've made a good living working in a science-related field), etc. But it appears our churches are following the same route that our public schools have and nobody's really learning what they need to.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I meant to get this to you yesterday steve in that other thread about churches.....It kind of went with what you were talking about...Wife and I are still looking for a church as well and I have a hard time with Mega Churches and the more modern service....My brother knows I struggle with that and he sent me this link to a parody that I thought I would share with you...

Rick

I'm not sure to laugh or groan. This would be a turn off to me. I'm OK with modern music mixed in with the old hymns. I'm OK with casual attire, with hip glasses, etc. But I don't think I saw a bible or even a cross in that "show"...THAT's what bothers me.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

Rick

This sums it up for me.

I am not against "Christian" music, it can be pretty good, but I'm not a fan of this type of "human celebration" as a Sunday (or Monday - Saturday) church service. :twocents:

p.s. One time I heard an old fire and brimstone Baptist (or Bab-tiss as it sounds) say, "Just because I became a Christian doesn't mean I stopped being a man." He was talking about the general emasculation of Christianity, fwiw.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    indiucky said:

"Growtivation" ROFL. That part made me laugh, the rest made me want to cry. This seriously sums up a lot of churches around here too.

I very much enjoy contemporary music in church. I have no problem with selecting music that is relevant and that moves people to worship. God gave us music for that very purpose and I'm not so closed-minded as to think that only hymns from the 1940's or earlier qualify. At the same time, are we worshiping or attending a rock concert? Are we there to glorify God or glorify the dudes on stage? The latest church we've been visiting has a smoke machine. A smoke machine.

And the preaching... just ugh. I didn't come here to feel good. I didn't come here to feel sad, then feel good. I'm not here to experience an emotional rollercoaster.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    "Growtivation" ROFL. That part made me laugh, the rest made me want to cry. This seriously sums up a lot of churches around here too.

I very much enjoy contemporary music in church. I have no problem with selecting music that is relevant and that moves people to worship. God gave us music for that very purpose and I'm not so closed-minded as to think that only hymns from the 1940's or earlier qualify. At the same time, are we worshiping or attending a rock concert? Are we there to glorify God or glorify the dudes on stage? The latest church we've been visiting has a smoke machine. A smoke machine.

And the preaching... just ugh. I didn't come here to feel good. I didn't come here to feel sad, then feel good. I'm not here to experience an emotional rollercoaster.

This sums it up perfectly for me. I don't attend church much anymore. I am a practicing catholic though. I have friends who tell me to come check out their new church because it got them to go again. "It's awesome, there is a rock band that's really good." they say, but all I can think is that if you need a rock band to make you go to church, then you aren't really going to church, you are going to a rock concert where they take a lot of breaks to talk.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

This past Sunday, the pastor of the church my wife and I have been checking out (and the one I think she wants us to settle on) announced he was moving on. At lunch, the wife of another couple we were with mentioned that it'd be good to do something to get more younger people to come in and come back. My first thought is she was hoping for something like that in the video. :rolleyes:

I was glad, at least with one other couple, that agreed with us that the new stuff is ok but we've got to stay in the Bible and Christ centered.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Mark-DuCo said:
    I have friends who tell me to come check out their new church because it got them to go again. "It's awesome, there is a rock band that's really good." they say, but all I can think is that if you need a rock band to make you go to church, then you aren't really going to church, you are going to a rock concert where they take a lot of breaks to talk.

Yeah... I mean, there's certainly nothing wrong with enjoying your church. But at the same time, if God's command to attend and participate regularly is not enough to bring you there then I'd say that indicates larger problems that a rock band can't solve.

GodFearinGunTotin said:
    This past Sunday, the pastor of the church my wife and I have been checking out (and the one I think she wants us to settle on) announced he was moving on. At lunch, the wife of another couple we were with mentioned that it'd be good to do something to get more younger people to come in and come back. My first thought is she was hoping for something like that in the video. :rolleyes:

I was glad, at least with one other couple, that agreed with us that the new stuff is ok but we've got to stay in the Bible and Christ centered.

Interesting thought. I guess there's two factors at work:

1. Are you trying to draw in young people who are actively and obediently seeking the important parts of church, but who want one that is relevant to them? Or,
    2. Are you trying to draw in young people who want a good time and to feel good, and won't come if you don't provide that.

Keeping things current and relevant is important to achieve #1, but if you go so far with it that you're striving for #2 then maybe you're going the wrong way.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My wife and I went to a church like this once. I felt physically ill.

I won't go to a church that does not emphatically ask you to open your own Bible during the sermon*. Within five ten minutes of the pastor walking on stage I better hear, "take out you Blibles and turn to...". And if the sermon ends in less than thirty minutes I will demand a refund.

* Sermon, not message, not conversation, dialog, not "series".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Back on topic, our pastor critiques those that claim, "My God wouldn't ..."

You're right, your god wouldn't - because you made him up.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Oh my. That video is 100% my Dad's church. I'm glad that he has found one that he attends regularly and cares about deeply but for the life of me I cannot understand why. He and I are very much alike in almost every way but his church is everything that I never want to be exposed to.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    JettaKnight said:
    Back on topic, our pastor critiques those that claim, "My God wouldn't ..."

You're right, your god wouldn't - because you made him up.

Seems like a lot of folks want a god who fits into their little box. The tiny space that surrounds the extent of human comprehension. And when the God of the Bible doesn't fit in there, they make up their own.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Seems like a lot of folks want a god who fits into their little box. The tiny space that surrounds the extent of human comprehension. And when the God of the Bible doesn't fit in there, they make up their own.

I agree.
    Yes, we're all flawed and we all commit sins.
    The problem is when we proudly commit sins, then tell ourselves that the God of our "little box" has no problem with OUR sins, so we need not even acknowledge we did anything wrong or ask for forgiveness.
    (i.e. the "pride" thing")

But HEY, we'll all meet our maker one day and find out..

Top Bottom