I'm curious, how many have police scanners at home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used to have one running constantly a decade or so ago, but since moving here, haven't had one (I do have a weather radio). I have been toying with the idea of getting one, but with the trunked systems here locally, the units that will work aren't cheap. How many of you have them, use them regularly?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Room mate has an older style one. I can here the dispatch and the school corporation (my room mate works at the schools and has one that reason). My work has the new ones and you can hear everything. I like hearing about stuff in my area or if there is a big crash or incident, know what is going on.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Check out radioreference.com They have live feeds of scanners in almost every county. If you have a computer thats always on, you can que up that feed and listen to that.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    If they're still using the non-digital, you should be able to get by with the standard trunking scanner, and they can be had for ~150 if you watch for sales. If they've gone digital, then that ~400 mark is more accurate (like out this way)

You may call and check at "The Shack" - I know for quite a while they'd run sales on the standard trunking, especially in the Lafayette area since that was one of the few areas where there was a desire for them since so many other folks have gone digital. Of course, the higher dollar scanner will last longer in the scheme of things..

You may watch here on INGO, I've seen some reasonably priced ones go by..

Z71Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got one setup in the living room. It's an older model that doesn't pick up the trunked systems, but I've got all the old frequencies programed just in case. Someday when I have the available funds I'd like to get an upgrade so that I can listen to the digital frequencies.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I started a side job programming scanners around town. Howard County receently added a couple frequencies to the EDACS system so everybody I know asks the nerd for help. :)
    Still dont have a scanner of my own that works here, but I have a portable radio in my office at the FD that scans enough to keep me satisfied.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a non trunking desktop scanner by my bed and an app on my phone.

(If you read the law carefully they (apps) are legal as written, but yet untested in court.)

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Indiana law states that a radio that is capable and or programmed to rx police freq is defined as a police scanner. in Indiana it is illegal to leave your dwelling with a police scanner.

You are unallowed to listen in your car, you are unable to listen in a bar.
    If you listen out by the pool. the cops will think its rather uncool.
    you would not , should not listen on a cow, you should not listen on a plow

If you get your license for Ham, then you can listen through out this land
    Amateur radio ops are allowed to listen to the cops, in a plane, on a train or even in the rain.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Another thing to keepin mind, scanner traffic is not as interesting as it used to be. The departments in my area utilize the computers in the cars for many of the functions that used to require radio traffic. We still get the dispatch, and officer to officer traffic during extreme circumstances, but most of the regular functions have been replaced.

Top Bottom