I'm gonna try (buy) a glock, but which one????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    After reading all the recommendations, I'd have so say you need to get one of each! ;)

The 19 or 23 seem to be the best "all-purpose" choices, however. If you're planning on shooting 40, the 23 will give you that as well as the option to shoot other calibers with different barrels.

This is another good point get whichever model you want in .40s&w and just get a 9mm conversion barrel. Now you have both.. :rockwoot:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    If you aren’t going to carry this pistol, then choose the model/caliber you want with the longest barrel/slide.

Do not discount the accuracy of the sub compacts (26/27). I can out shoot most of my friends with my G26 while they shoot their Glocks (19,17,etc) at almost any distance.

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    If you aren’t going to carry this pistol, then choose the model you want with the longest barrel/slide.

Do not discount the accuracy of the sub compacts (26/27). I can out shoot most of my friends with my G26 while they shoot their Glocks (19,17,etc) at almost any distance.

Good point, I have seen the sub compacts out shoot full size models several times, in my examples it was probably the shooters. But in my experience they all shoot great!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Many of us started with the Glock-19, I have my 9.mm and >40 glocks and carry the Glock-23 and Glock-27, 95% of the time, but..............if I had reason to I would have a Glock-22 close at hand and the others not too far away.;):ingo::ar15:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    If you are dead set on the .40 S&W the G23 is probably the best all around choice. It is big enough to shoot all day without fatiguing your hands, small enough to conceal well and isn't short on capacity either. I like the 26/27 Glocks but they are too small for me to shoot more than a few rounds at a time.

If you branch out into 9mm, the G19 will probably be the most recommended gun for the same reasons as the 23 plus you get a few extra round and use cheaper ammo.

My favorite Glock is the 21; I love .45 ACP and the 21 is one of the softest shooting guns I've ever used. it is big but 13+1 of .45 is hard to argue with.

The nice thing about Glock is that there isn't a model that won't be fun to shoot, reliable and accurate...not to mention will hold a great deal of it's value provided you don't drag it behind a truck. It's one of the reasons I'm a huge Glock fan.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    The caliber argument is futile. 9mm is cheaper to shoot and is just as much of a man killer as the rest.

The 17 is large, the 26 is too small.

The 19 fits perfectly in the middle and worn in a quality holster will disappear in such a manner to make the small size of the 26 seem pointless and since the 19 holds 15 rounds and can still use the 17's mags, the larger size of the 17 is pointless too.

My best is advice is to tune out what everyone else is saying, go pick all three sizes of them up, find the size the fits your needs/hand/and makes you feel giddy inside. Then pick it in a caliber that fits your budget.

-Then-

BUY AS MANY MAGS AND THROW A GOOD SET OF METAL NIGHT SIGHTS ON IT!!! I PREFER BIG DOTS!!

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    You forgot the sub compacts... G26 & 27 I believe.

I have owned the service sized ( G22,17,21 ) and the tactical (G35) for a few years and liked them.

The first time I shot a compact sized, I loved it. Now days all I have left are the compact sized. ( G19's and 23/32 ).

It might seem like a tough decision now, but you will know alot more once you handle all of them.

For caliber, the only advantage I really see in getting a .40 is the versatility of shooting other calibers... If you get a .40, you can shoot 9mm with a CONVERSION barrel and 9mm mag and also you could shoot .357 sig by adding either a Glock or aftermarket barrel. If you go with the 9mm, you can't go the other way !

+1

I have both a 19 and 34 and the only calber change i can make is to a .22lr

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    G 27/ Glock parts are cheap. Conversion barrels allow shooting 9mm & 40.
    Grip extensions allow the larger mags. You get the same grip size as the 19 &17 with a shorter barrel.

gbox27.jpg

Muntz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Get the 23 in 40 and then purchase a Lone Wolf 40 -9 conversion barrel. It's like buying 2 for one.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I love my g17. I know people don't like the larger size, but it feels right in my hand....
    :rolleyes::laugh:

Blah, blah, blah...hold what fits and all that out of the way.

I enjoy shooting the 17 (or 22 if u prefer the .40) and I wouldn't think about using the 19 at the range (does not fit my hand and is uncomfortable when they have finger grooves). With that said, IF this is range only, then the 34 (or 35) is the way to go. Longer barrels, sights further apart and can get sight pic quicker. I would really like to have a 34 to go with my 17 but not gonna happen right now-hopefully next month. Let us know what u decide on and how it works for u.

Side note-Get a Carver compensator for the 17 or 22 and u can run that way as well.

CC will throw all my theorys away. I DO CC my 17, though. and comfortable.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom