I'm interested in a new career in LE. Need some advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You'll need some new boots too. :rolleyes:

Also start training at home now while your waiting.
    Practice by kicking in your doors, breaking out your car windows and taze your wife a few times a week while yelling "STOP RESISTING". These can also be stress relievers after you get the job.

(there are videos online you can follow along to)
    How could you forget shooting dogs? Yours, the neighbors, your moms, your moms neighbors, just start shooting dogs.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    From my understanding ILEA now allows people to go home at the end of day if they live reasonably close. I hated sleeping in the place, it was like a 1970s hotel.

I still hate sleeping there when I go down to help with classes.

You are not too old at 28. In fact, that's probably about the perfect age to start a career in LE. I know that some departments will hire at 21, but I personally don't think one has enough life experience to be a police officer until at least 25.

I 100% agree.

As for the OP, almost all the agencies in NW IN are emergency hiring, so getting a LE job might be easier than you think. They haven't stooped to lowering their standards (yet), but if you are in half way decent shape, have no felonies, and aren't a complete ****stick like half the people we've hired recently, you should be good to go. Don't over think it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Is the reserve option something that would allow me to continue working my current job? I've got standard office hours now. I was recently an air traffic controller, and that process took almost a year from applying to the time I started training. I'm not so much concerned with the length of the hiring process, I just would need to limit any time without a paycheck. Kids are expensive :rolleyes:

Yes, reserves are usually used in the evenings and on the weekends by most departments. If you were up against the age limit (mid 30's) I'd say forget becoming a reserve first and just go for a full time job. But you have a little time to see if you like it or not. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

While I was in the ATC academy, I had to live in OKC and my wife and kids stayed home. That was miserable and I said I wouldn't do something like that again. Well, here we are...

Does the ILEA allow visitors in the evenings? Like could my wife drive the kids up and we could hang out for a little while?

Only you can decide what's important in your life. Most of my fellow officers had always wanted to be in law enforcement and wouldn't think twice about attending the academy and being away from home. That's one of the reasons I suggested being a reserve first. This is not just another job. Being a cop is not what you do...it's who you are. If your wife is blowing you **** because of being away from home for a few weeks for an academy, you're going to be miserable working odd hours, long shifts and holidays. Best be sure that this is really what you want to do.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This will sound super conceded, but I'm not overly conceded with my ability to pass an academic course. I went through the FAA's air traffic control academy last year and passed, and I would assume this would be similar from an academic standpoint. My biggest concern would be leaving everyone at home. While I was in the ATC academy, I had to live in OKC and my wife and kids stayed home. That was miserable and I said I wouldn't do something like that again. Well, here we are...

Does the ILEA allow visitors in the evenings? Like could my wife drive the kids up and we could hang out for a little while?

You get an hour and a half for dinner outside of the Academy, and then you get a 3 hour “liberty” on Wednesday nights.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    From my understanding ILEA now allows people to go home at the end of day if they live reasonably close.
    I hated sleeping in the place, it was like a 1970s hotel

I like Tangerine and Lime for room colors.
    But did the Hookers charge 1970s rates?

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Only you can decide what's important in your life. Most of my fellow officers had always wanted to be in law enforcement and wouldn't think twice about attending the academy and being away from home. That's one of the reasons I suggested being a reserve first. This is not just another job. Being a cop is not what you do...it's who you are. If your wife is blowing you **** because of being away from home for a few weeks for an academy, you're going to be miserable working odd hours, long shifts and holidays. Best be sure that this is really what you want to do.

The issue isn't me or even my wife, it was my kids. The ATC academy was 4 months in OKC. The kids are/were toddlers, and they just wanted their dad to be home like they were used to. I think that me being closer to home, home on the weekends, and the potential for visits every Wednesday would make for a different situation, but we'll have to see.

I'm going on a ride along with a Johnson Co Sheriff Deputy. I'm looking forward to it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Never having been a LEO, but having been a Dad for 22+ years (with 4 kids for the last 14), I would simply say that an experience that sets you up for a 20+ year career and causes a few months of inconvenience for the family may well be worth it. Few things that pay long-term dividends were all roses and perfume in the early stages. However, I would hate for you and your family to make all that sacrifice for something that lasted only a few months. So....why aren't you an ATC?

josh64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    If you're interested in serving, go for it.

Be prepared for 99 percent tedium, the much hated paperwork (my least fav), and instances of confusion, adrenaline, panic, etc as you can imagine.

To start with, if you're not in shape, as in running or jogging, you had best start because if you can't make x time on the track you shall not pass.

Also most people think they can shoot waaaaay better than they actually can.

Do not poke holes, with, for example, a pen, into other people's targets who do not shoot as well as you so they can pass qauls no matter who asks you to do so, and do not lie if you see someone else doing it and are asked about it - this is at the academy.

Don't be surprised to see fed headhunters (fbi, atf, etc) scouting for talent, they will go to the bars with you and the rest of the recruits, do not engage in any hijinks with the fedz, such as the female recruit who spent a lot of time with atf, as you will be ratted out. I suppose this is one method they use to get people dropped from the academy and then hire them directly. The fedz have their own academy so you know, but do not need to have a Quantico grad to work on special projects for them. Some local heads of fed agencies will likely be at your graduation, regardless how much trouble they get you into.

Certain criminal acts will disqualify one from consideration, in my case, enlisting USN got a juvenile indiscretion expunged from the record, and that came in handy years later when looking into becoming a leo.

If you pass the academy and are hired;

Beware the cop groupie, she will have a different cop parked in her driveway throughout the day as shifts progress.

Find the right cemeteries to nap in.

Glory hounds/adrenaline junkies are real.

Beware the random horned citizen, she will tell the leos in her front yard that responded to her legit call "well, I'm horny, any y'all horny? Come on in!" in front of all her kids and the neighbors.

The officer to your left has eyes on target, is firing, and hot 40 brass is hitting you in the face and neck so you move further to the right to get out of the brass rain. You are not firing because you cannot see the target from your location due the shrubberies. Next thing you know, someone invisible smacks you with a sledge about 4 inches left of Mr Happy and his two friends and you're sitting in the dirt wondering wtf just happened. You look down between your legs and see a perfectly mushroomed 9mm jacketed hollowpoint proj that has the imprint of the fabric of your pants impressed into the lead mushroom. It now sits on your computer desk. If it hadn't hit the dog before it hit you, you could have suffered a far more serious injury than a cantaloupe sized bruise.

Do not cross the city prosecutors office, even if justified, unless you have big ones. If you do, you may find yourself losing friends at work, getting **** details because your sgt or lt or whoever is above you is good friends with the city prosecutors office. Along with this will be getting subpoenaed in cases where you did not write the ticket, may have no personal knowledge of the charge, on your days off. The great thing about being in the jurisdiction of an office is they can simply tell you over the phone you will be at this trial. You may also find yourself the only marked unit doing no knock warrants with the plainclothes gang unit, or perhaps the only marked unit at a dea and eru (emergency response unit aka what normal people call swat) raid, someone might be trying to send you a message. Seducing and humping your sgt or lt's fiance in revenge sounds like a good plan but presents its own set of problems that will not become apparent until later.

If you've ever been in fire or ems this will all seems strangely familiar.

names and depts redacted to protect the guilty

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    If you're interested in serving, go for it.

Be prepared for 99 percent tedium, the much hated paperwork (my least fav), and instances of confusion, adrenaline, panic, etc as you can imagine.

To start with, if you're not in shape, as in running or jogging, you had best start because if you can't make x time on the track you shall not pass.

Also most people think they can shoot waaaaay better than they actually can.

Do not poke holes, with, for example, a pen, into other people's targets who do not shoot as well as you so they can pass qauls no matter who asks you to do so, and do not lie if you see someone else doing it and are asked about it - this is at the academy.

Don't be surprised to see fed headhunters (fbi, atf, etc) scouting for talent, they will go to the bars with you and the rest of the recruits, do not engage in any hijinks with the fedz, such as the female recruit who spent a lot of time with atf, as you will be ratted out. I suppose this is one method they use to get people dropped from the academy and then hire them directly. The fedz have their own academy so you know, but do not need to have a Quantico grad to work on special projects for them. Some local heads of fed agencies will likely be at your graduation, regardless how much trouble they get you into.

Certain criminal acts will disqualify one from consideration, in my case, enlisting USN got a juvenile indiscretion expunged from the record, and that came in handy years later when looking into becoming a leo.

If you pass the academy and are hired;

Beware the cop groupie, she will have a different cop parked in her driveway throughout the day as shifts progress.

Find the right cemeteries to nap in.

Glory hounds/adrenaline junkies are real.

Beware the random horned citizen, she will tell the leos in her front yard that responded to her legit call "well, I'm horny, any y'all horny? Come on in!" in front of all her kids and the neighbors.

The officer to your left has eyes on target, is firing, and hot 40 brass is hitting you in the face and neck so you move further to the right to get out of the brass rain. You are not firing because you cannot see the target from your location due the shrubberies. Next thing you know, someone invisible smacks you with a sledge about 4 inches left of Mr Happy and his two friends and you're sitting in the dirt wondering wtf just happened. You look down between your legs and see a perfectly mushroomed 9mm jacketed hollowpoint proj that has the imprint of the fabric of your pants impressed into the lead mushroom. It now sits on your computer desk. If it hadn't hit the dog before it hit you, you could have suffered a far more serious injury than a cantaloupe sized bruise.

Do not cross the city prosecutors office, even if justified, unless you have big ones. If you do, you may find yourself losing friends at work, getting **** details because your sgt or lt or whoever is above you is good friends with the city prosecutors office. Along with this will be getting subpoenaed in cases where you did not write the ticket, may have no personal knowledge of the charge, on your days off. The great thing about being in the jurisdiction of an office is they can simply tell you over the phone you will be at this trial. You may also find yourself the only marked unit doing no knock warrants with the plainclothes gang unit, or perhaps the only marked unit at a dea and eru (emergency response unit aka what normal people call swat) raid, someone might be trying to send you a message. Seducing and humping your sgt or lt's fiance in revenge sounds like a good plan but presents its own set of problems that will not become apparent until later.

If you've ever been in fire or ems this will all seems strangely familiar.

names and depts redacted to protect the guilty

WOW. 16 posts since joining in 2009 and then this. Must have really hit a nerve !

josh64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Oh yeah I left out the part were when you're the only leo in a small riot of between 10 to 20 people, with backup only minutes away, and you can see some are armed because they're holding fing machetes, you may not be scared until after it's all over and you realise those people could've made you disappear from the face of the earth if they'd wanted. My point is a leo faces crazy situations on an infrequent basis, both inside the service and with those who are served.

:D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Never having been a LEO, but having been a Dad for 22+ years (with 4 kids for the last 14), I would simply say that an experience that sets you up for a 20+ year career and causes a few months of inconvenience for the family may well be worth it. Few things that pay long-term dividends were all roses and perfume in the early stages. However, I would hate for you and your family to make all that sacrifice for something that lasted only a few months. So....why aren't you an ATC?
    I had to be gone for about 2 months for training when I entered my current career path. That was about 32 years ago, so it may end up working out.

Top Bottom